Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

.. old habit die hard! After hardly looking in on the bears at all last year, due to the loss of Jason & Hope, I decided to pop in today.
I see that they opened a new North Amer. Bear (Info) Center on the 28th (last Friday), dedicated to & named after Hope. Nice!

And on the home page, there's now a place to sign up for receiving the daily-posted updates/messages that are posted on the website every day. (Too many redundancies in that sentence!!)
Lily has gone into her den already and her heart-rate shows that she's very sluggish now.
They were changing the batteries in her collar; apparently there's a one-visit per week per den limit imposed by the Dept. of Nat Resources now which they must honor to keep their funding.

Lyn said the fur on Lily's back is standing straight up, thick and soft and measures at least 3" long. I guess she's ready for Northern MN's winter! She's a 5 yo now; in a branch-covered den this year: I thought that the rock den looked so cold - the once or twice I looked early on last Fall!
Once this one gets snow covered it should be much cozier!

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

I'm pleased you are looking in again at the bears Bobbie!

Since the huge upset last year of losing Hope, I still continued to log in every day to read the updates.  It was quite a difficult thing to do at first, particularly when reading everyone's comments while venting their frustrations and sadness.  But I am pleased I did, it certainly helped with the "healing process" I think and I also thought it would help Lyn, Sue and everyone concerned, give them the support that they so desperately needed at the time.  They are such fantastic people.  This year has been so busy for them and reading their daily updates has shown they have tremendous endurance and stamina!! 

Keeping "contact" virtually daily has been a little like looking after someone's pets, checking in to see that all is well. I will be so relieved though when the 14th October has passed as  the hunting season will end then. All of us "followers" have been brilliantly informed this year about the daily life of the research bears and the ups and downs the research team have experienced with authorities, regulations etc.  It will be interesting when all the bears have decided upon their Winter "apartments" but then comes all the excitement (again!) when we wonder and wait for the sound of those gorgeous nursing sounds ...  The years are going by way too quickly ....

Hugs to all happy followers,

Marilyn xx bear_flower

suburban Chicago

Thx for your 'healing' comments, Marilyn! I suspect there were many others like you who hung in there, too. I involved myself in a local shelter/charity instead and gave my time to real persons in need, that's how I felt I was 'connecting'.
But I feel that I can look backwards now - - - however, I've missed most of Faith's first year of life.
If Lily produces another cub this winter, I wonder if we'll see the same type of caring, loving attention that Hope gave her and her brother?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I did not look away either.  I still follow their posts through email, and I read everyone. 
This is actually Faith's second year of life.  She is on her own now, and will not den with Lily.
I do notice that Dr Rodgers has really spent more time with lots of different bears not focusing on one.  I think that was very wise.  At least for me the attachment is not there as it was with Hope.  That is a good thing.

suburban Chicago

OMGosh - - Really? She's denning on her own then? How time flies. I really have been out-of-the-loop.....
The main title on the home page is still up from 2012 and it says Lily & Faith; the den cam titles haven't been changed yet. I did wonder why Lyn didn't mention anything about Faith when he changed Lily's collar batteries.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Yes Bobbie, things happen all too quickly in the real bear world!!  It seems as though the young cubs or should I say yearlings are soon out on their own, fending for themselves but some have rather beautifully hooked up with other youngsters from other families this year and have been seen playing together and interacting.  Just wish everything would s-l-o-w d-o-w-n!!

Hugs,
Marilyn x

Board footer