Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Little Nan Posts: 233

Hello everyone !
Is anyone able to tell me if its possible to make a bigger bear with a centre seam head , say a 9 to 12 inch ?
The reason I ask is that I've only seen the very small ones made like this and wondered if it only works on that size bear ?
Nan x   bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

If you are talking about a center seam in which the head gusset is split in half, yes, you can make it as big as you wish.  I have never made a two piece head successfully, so that I can not say.

Joanne thank you!
Actually I was thinking just a two piece head , but I think I'd like to try a split gusset head too , it's good to experiment isn't it !!
Nan x  bear_flower

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You can also make a center head seam designing a four piece head. It is not exactly the same as with a split gusset, but it works fine. I have done that for bears of 12 inches, no problem at all.

Fancy, yes so I believe, I've seen again a very small bear with a four piece head I think, like a sort of beach ball pattern, but maybe I'm wrong!!
I would imagine that relies on some seriously good cutting though !
Will try and think that one through and try with the old calico again .... More frustrations coming I fear !
Thank you Francy much appreciated
Nan x

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Nan, the 'beach ball' approach is very helpful. It is a good starting point. I actually did that kind of pattern because I wanted a head shape that was more rounded, like a ball with a muzzle and a neck!  bear_laugh

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

That's what I would try...four pieces....cut the back like a ball and the front you can either cut a muzzle in or add a separate muzzle.On a smaller size bear I cut the pieces on the bias which made it stretch a bit when I was stuffing it. So you would have the pile going diagonally but he stretch made it more round. It worked for me but I am it's probably wrong! bear_whistle

Yes that's it Francy! I'm looking to find my " style or look"  and without trying different patterns and styles I will never know will I !
Plus it's so very interesting trying out new methods and styles, trouble is I can't think of anything else at the moment .... Think it's called obsession !!
Thank you for your help and tips Francy

Nan  bear_wub

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Hey Jenny, you know nothing is wrong if it gives the desired result! bear_grin  bear_grin ( and doesn't affect the workmanship of course )
     Nan, just wanted to chime in with everyone else, yes it does work on bigger bears. The most important thing I discovered when designing a 4-piece (or 2) head, the head pattern needs to be *much* bigger in proportion to the body than with a 'traditional' 3 piece head. Yes I found this out the hard way lol.

Ooh Jenny what great tips !!
I'm getting excited thinking how to tackle everything ... I honestly was thinking of cutting on the bias as when I've been stuffing one or two bears I have thought .. If I only had a bit more room to round things off. !
I think the problem I have is that sometimes I'm being a little over cautious instead of going for it !
Nothing was ever gained by not throwing caution to the wind ... Occasionally.
Beary hugs
Nan xx

Karen feel free to chime in any time you want! I am only tooooo grateful to all of you for these invaluable tips !
Where else would I get such quality advice ?
Thank you thank you thank you !! 
Nan x

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Ladies, here I need some help as my English is not up to it. What do you mean by 'bias'? What is it? bear_ermm

Francy I'm no expert here but bias means as i understand , to cut the fabric on the diagonal instead of straight , with the weave . This gives gives the fabric more of a stretch and curve.  I dare say one of the more expert ladies would be able to explain it better than me though !
Nan bear_flower

warwickshire uk
Website

Yep...that's it . Bias binding is cut this way...diagonally so it stretches. I have cut heads this way many times and it does round things off more having that extra stretch in the backing...it also helps with the pile direction on a centre seam bear...cut diagonally opposite it works out really well.

Oh yes never thought of that Jenny , would look more natural I think  .
Having a week hopefully in the sun ... Better make room for a bit of calico to play with !! Xx bear_grin

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Thank you ladies, I think I understand now. I just wonder, does it work with any fabric? I as this because my mohair is not that stretchy, not stretchy like some faux furs at least.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I did some fast research.... bear_original  bear_original to be sure I got it right....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_%28textile%29
Thank you again Jenny and Nan. I must give this matter a thought!

warwickshire uk
Website

It's just because when you cut a piece of fabric so that the weave runs diagonally it does stretch. When the warp and weft threads run perpendicular to each other...i.e. one thread set of threads run straight across and the others up and down forming right angles there is no stretch ...but by turning it so the threads run diagonally you can notice it stretches. There must be some mathematical explanation why this occurs but all I know is that it means that you can get the fabric to easily curve. If you have ever tried to bind a sleeve opening or a collar with straight cut strips of fabric it just wont fit neatly around the curve..but if you make bias cut strips it fits  nice and snug around the tightest curves ...because it stretches. You just need to try it on a piece of fabric ...pull it across the straight edge and you will see it has no stretch then pull it diagonally corner to corner and you will see it does stretch. This works for any woven fabric. Knitted fabrics are different as they stretch in every direction as the threads are looped around each other to form the backing.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Thanks for the tip Jenny! I must try it sometime.  bear_flower  bear_flower

warwickshire uk
Website

You are very welcome!,

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Francesca wrote:

Thank you ladies, I think I understand now. I just wonder, does it work with any fabric? I as this because my mohair is not that stretchy, not stretchy like some faux furs at least.

Yes it works with mohair- I've done them in mohair, the woven back viscose, alpacas, sassy and vintage long pile. Works with all the fabrics I've tried.

Board footer