Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Mer4952 Posts: 4

Hi,
Several years ago, I knew how to process regular, longish acrylic fur to make it become "stringy"--but I have misplaced the directions. Does this ring a bell with anyone? It makes it look similar to other "sparse" furs both natural and synthetic. Thanks in advance for any help with this "lost art" bear_grin

Mer4952

margauxrodriguez Rodriguez
Chicago, IL

You can use your fingers to spatter the paint from any stiff brush dipped in thin acrylic paint, a painting brush, a toothbrush, or a stencil brush will work.

Thanks for the reply, Rodriguez--but what I'm looking for is not an applied substance like paint or dye. The process takes regular acrylic fur like this:

1357491290_punkytoffeelg.jpg

and turns it into a shaggy stringy looking fur, like this:

1357491129_g4lg.jpg

Does anyone know and/or remember how to do this?

Thanks in advance!  bear_flower

karenaus Melbourne
Website

I read in an old book ( one of Linda Mullins ) that some artists boiled faux fur to distress it, that's the only technique I've heard of.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That makes sense, Karen. The heat would really change the character of the acrylic fibers. (I'm not sure how, but it would be changed!)

Becky

Ohmygosh! Thank you, Karen! How could I forget something so basic? (Nobody say a WORD about age, got it??  bear_grin  bear_rolleyes  bear_whistle )

***off to set a kettle to boil***

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Next question: What kind of creature are you planning to make with the stringy fur? bear_original

Becky

The Cowardly Lion

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, fabulous! bear_flower

Becky

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Oh yay, glad I could be of help! Fingers crossed and look forward to seeing the results, hint hint bear_grin good luck!

Board footer