Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Michael Posts: 6

Hi Everyone, Sorry I have not been around. I have just had an overwhelming amount of college work bear_sad and I have been working as much as I can so I can buy some of my most wanted bears!!

As the title says I would really appreciate your help and advice. I am hopefully going to set up an website/online shop specializing in the re-sale of orphaned artist bears and rare/retired Charlie Bears and Isabelle bears. All the bears would be pre-owned but they will all be in as new condition.

Due to me being under the age of 18. I would not be able to have a Paypal option on my website but I would be able to accept payment by Google Checkout which accepts all major cards and is as safe as using Paypal (as Google Checkout is Google's version of Paypal) would this put you off from ordering from a specific website?

I will be able to ship bears worldwide and I will have flat postage costs for any amount of bears bought. I would also like to only post bears by express delivery within the UK and by the fastest form of delivery to any other location. As I know how frustrating it can be while waiting for that much wanted bear to arrive. Would this make you more likely to buy from a specific shop?

Once the shop is up and running I would also love to start stocking Brand new bears and artist bears such as Kaycee bears and other artist bears etc..

All bears would be safely packaged in bubble wrap etc to make sure that they are safe on their journey to their new home.

I would really love to here your advice and suggestions as I have always wanted to own a bear shop and this is the best alternative. It is going to cost me quite a bit to set up but i know it will be worth it. Would you be interested from buying from this shop if it had one of your most wanted bears in it?

I would love to hear your honest opinions.

Thanks Everyone!!

Michael bear_original

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Good luck with your venture Michael  bear_original  as I don't usually buy bears I don't have much feedback on your idea aside from your shipping ideas..... While the thought of only offering the fastest shipping method sounds good from one angle, that could work out extremely expensive for your buyers, specially if they are overseas. Postage costs can be a deciding factor when collectors are buying.
     I wouldn't reccomend posting via surface/slow boat at all, but a happy medium. You *may* find the odd collector who will want the fastest option, but I'm guessing in general, you'll be aiming at keeping the postage cost effective.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Another wish for good luck from me, Michael, and I agree with Karen--postage costs have skyrocketed, and the fastest method is also the most expensive.

Regarding Google checkout, it's a secure way to shop online, I've used it before, so I'd say give it a try.  bear_flower

Becky

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Hi Michael.....I'm definitely interested as a buyer in your proposed format, but as a seller myself, my honest opinion is that you need to try to stay with paypal somehow, since that is the overwhelmingly popular service at this point- perhapse use a parent's account?
Secondly, you MUST offer the most economical shipping options for international shipping, since shipping costs have skyrocketed, and continue to. As  a seller it helps me to offer "ground post" rates, but with tracking and/or insurance, that way even if it gets there slow, there's some guarantee of accountability.

lastly, I'm going to offer some unsolicited, and pointed advice:  I noticed that you only have 3 posts on this forum, and next to nothing in your profile. If you want prospective buyers to trust you with their money, you need to sell yourself first, What I mean by that is, establish a presence here before offering up a business, let us see who you are as a bear collector (some pics of your collection wouldn't hurt) tell us about who you are as a bear collector, why you collect, and why you want to be in the bear trade. It's all about credibilty.

Good Luck!

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your suggestions. Regarding the delivery I understand that it will be the most expensive option and I will offer a cheaper delivery alternative. As most of the bears I will be hopefully selling will be more than £46GBP and royal mail advise to only go for express delivery once the value of the item reaches this level.

BlackMoonBear thank you for your suggestions and I will also start to add images of some of the bears that will be appearing in my shop.

I have already bought some lovely bears for the shop and I am not really doing it to make money just as an enjoyable hobby.

Thank you again for all your suggestions

Michael bear_original

karenaus Melbourne
Website

You'll probably find most artists sell bears that cost over the equivalent of £46, So we are used to that balancing act of keeping Postage economical as well as safe bear_original ....while Royal Mail might advise express over that, you are likely to be chasing away customers, specially international ones. You may find you dont get many international customers and not need to worry.
     It's certainly a balancing act keeping yourself safe as well as keeping postage economical.

Miser Miser Bears

I wish you all the luck in the world in your venture, its a great idea! Have you thought about making a facebook page? Its really popular and can help your image  bear_original

karenaus wrote:

You'll probably find most artists sell bears that cost over the equivalent of £46, So we are used to that balancing act of keeping Postage economical as well as safe bear_original ....while Royal Mail might advise express over that, you are likely to be chasing away customers, specially international ones. You may find you dont get many international customers and not need to worry.
     It's certainly a balancing act keeping yourself safe as well as keeping postage economical.

Thank you for your help. I will now probably have options on my website so buyers can choose their own form of delivery. As like you pointed out high postage costs to international buyers could be turning away sales.

Thank you

Michael

Miser wrote:

I wish you all the luck in the world in your venture, its a great idea! Have you thought about making a facebook page? Its really popular and can help your image  :)

Thank you Miser. I'm really glad that you like the idea. I have thought about a Facebook page and I certainly will be making one. I don't use Facebook personally but I do think that it would be a good way to promote the shop and also for collectors to see the images of bears that I currently have available.

Thank you again for your help

Michael

Board footer