Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Teddy Bear Menagerie Teddy Bear Menagerie

Hello

I am trying to design my own head, using Ted Menten's book. The thing is, I want to have a longish pointy snout, and a wide triangular head. Very old style, like the bear on the front of the Nov 2011 issue of Teddy bear and friends (featuring Andrew John's Bear). I just can't seem to do it. I'm so freakin' confused. How wide can I go? How wide do I need to go? When I test it, if I test it on fake fur, I won't get the same result as on mohair. If I try on mohair and it doesn't work, I'm out significant money. I just don't know what to do, because I love that wide look, and I can't get it. SO frustrating.

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Thank you

Diane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Diane!

I'd suggest testing your patterns on an inexpensive cotton fabric. Stuff the head lightly after sewing, and you'll definitely get the idea. You can also stick pins in it at that point to see what darts would do.

It's funny, because "wide and triangular" was the type of head I was getting when I first started designing. It's what led me to try the type of dart I describe in the other post! bear_laugh Anyway, if you're using an inexpensive fabric for experiments, go nuts! Make a gusset that's quite wide in the middle with pretty dramatic tapering toward the back of the head and in front toward the muzzle. See what you get, and tweak it from there.

Becky

Teddy Bear Menagerie Teddy Bear Menagerie

Ha! How ironic, all I am getting is circular shapes, and I just want a triangle!!!

Thank you for your info. I will try alternate fabrics.

Board footer