Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Little Nan Posts: 233

I have managed to dye just one piece of mohair using Rit dye and following the instructions which tells you to 'simmer ' the mohair .. but I felt it made it feel a bit like boiled wool , rather  thick and not so soft.
I actually wondered if you could just bring the water to boiling point , then put the mohair in .. but maybe the colour wouldn't  ' set ' then ?
Has anyone else had the same problem or is it just me ? Oh and I used hair conditioner to try and soften it .. which it did .. slightly , but still wasn't as soft as I'd like. Am I being a clot ?   bear_ermm

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Nan, I never get the water to the boiling point--quite warm, but not to a simmer.

What I have found is that it's helpful to dissolve powdered dyes in boiling water before adding them to the big pot. (I pour the dye and water from a kettle into a two-cup measure and stir well.)

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I never leave the fabric in the dye. I just swill it round and when it's the right colour it comes out. I rinse till its running clear then wash it. Never had a problem. For those who say it will fade..I have fabrics that I dyed but didn't use and 11 yeas later they are still perfect. The water is straight out of the kettle and I just add the fabric wet after making sure the crystals are all dissolved. Sometimes the backing can thicken up but I don't think it matters. I just detangle the pile using a bit of conditioner...hair conditioner ...make sure you rinse that out though as it makes it sticky if you don't.

Little Nan Posts: 233

Thank you Jenny and Becky .. I knew I should have gone by my instinct , which is basically what you have both said ! It's common sense isn't it really ! Ah well I'll have another go !  bear_grin

Board footer