Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

wmullis Posts: 2

I recently received this bear and honestly don't know anything about it. The previous owner claimed it was from late 1800s to early 1900s, mohair, straw stuff with metal eyes. It is also 24" tall.

Any help you guys can give me about this bear would be greatly appreciated!!!!! As you can see this is my first post here and it looks like THE community that can help me with this.

DSCF0305.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk!

The very first teddy bear was made in 1903, and this bear is almost certainly American-made and from the 1920s or so. (The "genre" is called American stick bear.)

He's made of mohair and stuffed with wood-wool (excelsior). Those look like the original eyes, and the paw pads have been recovered by a thoughtful mom, I'm guessing. (The damaged originals may be underneath the brown fabric.)

Enjoy your new bear!

Becky

wmullis Posts: 2

Thanks Becky! Would you or anybody else happen to know an approx value of a bear like this in this condition?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The best person for an appraisal is Ken Yenke (I think he only charges about $10.) My guess is in the $75 to $100 range with the arm-joint problems. (Does the head joint still work?)

Becky

myteddiesNI Posts: 17

one awsome bear you have ,congrats !  bear_original

Board footer