Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

paulitee Posts: 2

Okay so I'm decent at sewing, but I am trying to make my first bear. I selected a pattern that I just love, but I really want the bear to be joint less because it is for a very small baby. I've seen others post on the topic before, but it usually seems to be settled via pm. Can somebody help me out? Maybe take a look at the pattern and tell me what I could do? I would really appreciate any help! Thanks so much!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome, Paulitee! What is it you need help with? (Is it a jointed pattern, but you want to make an unjointed bear?)

Becky

paulitee Posts: 2

Well I have a pattern for a jointed bear.  Ive read a few articles about how to make the joints using cotter (sp?) pins and fiberboard discs or bolts and locking nuts.  Basically the bear is for a one year old, I would like to make sure the bear can be washed and I think the fiberboard discs would rule that out.  I was thinking it might be easier to simply make the bear without joints or maybe there is another option I am unaware of. Do you have any suggestions?  I just want to make sure he will be child friendly and washable.  Thanks so much for helping!!  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yes, definitely start with a pattern for an unjointed bear. (Plastic safety joints are an option if you prefer a jointed bear.) There are free patterns online or for purchase at fabric stores, etc.

I'm not sure what type of stuffing would be best in terms of washability. Perhaps someone here will know.

I'd also suggest that you only use embroidery for the eyes, mouth, and nose. You don't want to attach anything that might be accidentally swallowed.

Becky

Elli Posts: 102

If you want to use that pattern but without joints, you could just sew the limbs on, it's not necessary to have a special unjointed pattern (but as dangerbears already suggested, you could also use plastic safety joints).
For stuffing I would use something synthetic like fiber fill.

Board footer