Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Blue Near Edinburgh, Scotland

Hi, I am a newbie from Grey and Dreech Scotland and I would like help in identifying my Bear. This (I think) may have been my Aunts Bear, she is 83, but I have a feeling he is older. He has a humped back, movable limbs and a Growler that does not work. He is 33 cm long, arms 14 cm, legs 16 cm and a little worn, aren't we all?   bear_grin    I do hope someone can help, thank you, Blue  I have just tried to upload a pic but I am being told the file is too big  HELP!!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Blue,

You'll need to re-size the photo (free programs for editing image files are available online). The picture needs to be under 600 pixels wide and the file size needs to be under 500k.

Looking forward to seeing the bear!

Becky

Hi Becky, thank you for the info, I will check that out, I hope I can post a pic as I want to know more about my Bear, I am off to see what I can learn, dontcha just love the Interweb   bear_laugh  Blue

Will I be lucky this time, here goes nothing   bear_ermm

1362084895_img_2882.jpg

Well I did it (thank you Becky for your help) so, can anyone identify this old boy? I think he must be a Panda?

1362085126_img_3028.jpg

Here is another bear o' mine, I know these were made by "The 1362085465_img_3029.jpgEnglish Teddy Bear Company" in Bath, no longer trading as far as I know. Now, what I would like to find out is if this Bear is made of Mohair or not?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Blue wrote:

Well I did it (thank you Becky for your help) so, can anyone identify this old boy? I think he must be a Panda?

No trouble at all - He's a fabulous old panda! I'm afraid I don't know who made him, but you can go to www.kenyenke.com for that information (Ken doesn't charge much for this service). My guess in he's from the 1940s or 50s since his fur looks to be "art silk" (artificial silk plush, so perhaps rayon), which became popular when the war stopped shipments of mohair.

The second bear is not made of mohair. It looks like a good-quality synthetic plush. He's a friendly sort of bear, isn't he? bear_original

Becky

Thank you Becky, that information is very helpful. About the Panda, someone thought it might be an older Merrythought one, I will have to check it out. Blue.

This little bear has no tags, he is approx 13 inches long, he has pink glass eyes and he is fully jointed. Do any of you clever clever people out there in the cyberether have any idea of age and maker please?   bear_wub
1379594110_img_6784.jpg
1379594165_img_6785.jpg

1379594192_img_6786.jpg

cw316 Posts: 1

C:\Users\user\Pictures\IMG_0837.JPG

Hi,
I have a teddy bear from The English Teddy Bear company, similar to the one above - it has the same label with a 6 digit number. He is wearing a silk jacket and has jointed arms legs and head as well as a lump in between the shoulders.

Anyone got an idea of the value of this handsome guy?  bear_original

cathyreeves2 Posts: 4

I just picked up a huggable bear at a yard sale which looks to be about 40 years old or so by Hen in the Holly.  The other tag says Holly designs, Inc. but I can't get any more definitive info on it than that. I suspect Holly Designs is defunct now.  Does anyone know anything about this company and how I can go about researching this fellow?  I am a newbie as you can probably tell and will so appreciate any guidance.  Thanks!  bear_original

Here's a few pix of my yard sale bear.  I can tell from the label he is made of polyester with polye1379811251_img_0907.jpgster beads as fill.  I don't know if the beret came with him or was added later by the owner.1379811312_img_0903.jpg1379811342_img_0907.jpghttp://www.teddy-talk.com/img/smilies/bear_grin.gif

Oops!  here's the pix of the beret.1379811468_img_0905.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

As you can see, there have been a couple of people talking about Hen in the Holly, but not in a sustained enough way to contribute much information: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=49713

I have seen bears from this maker on ebay, for what it's worth.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thank you so much.  At l bear_grin bear_grin east now I have a little more information on him.  http://www.teddy-talk.com/img/smilies/bear_grin.gif

Board footer