Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

jillanne UX'BEARies
Toronto

I was bidding on an item on eBay and after checking the shipping fees missed the 'new' import fees now being charged if the seller is opting into the Global Shipping Program.  I had purchased many items on eBay sold under bear making supplies and artists teddy bears.  At no time have I paid import fees/Canadian customs and taxes on items purchased. After winning the item and seeing the new import fees added to the invoice I contacted the seller about this --- after many emails she was able to cancel the original listing and relist the item after opting out of the Global Shipping Program.
I called eBay and complained about this unfair new fee to no avail.
As a result, if you are a Canadian buyer please look very closely at the listing to see if import fees have been added; if you are a US seller it may be why your sales to Canadian's have been reduced especially if you have signed up for the Global Shipping Program.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks much for this information, Jill.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you for this. As a seller, I read about the shipping program when ebay first introduced it, but I didn't like the sound of it. I guess it's one more thing for buyers to beware of as well.

Becky

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

I was caught with this too - bidding and not noticing the GSP. I've contacted a LOT of US sellers about it now before bidding on things and MOST of them had no idea what it was all about or even that they had it on their listing. This is what bugs me most - ebay is being so underhanded about it - UNLESS the US seller notices it and UNCHECKS the box for it, their item will be listed with GSP for international sales. If they want to offer this  so called "service" why wouldn't it be a case of the seller CHOOSING to add it to their listing, NOT having to notice it, or remember, to remove it! And as far as "service" - WHY would anyone choose to pay double shipping - as if shipping costs haven't gone sky high as is! - for their purchase to be shipped from the seller to a central US location and then that company in turn to ship it to the buyer! And as you said, Canada Post so often lets lower priced (and even some higher priced) things just go through so more often than not there are NO extra charges on normal parcels. A further problem for me is that I live in the country and only have a post office box so if the GSP company ships by courier then I cannot get delivery.

Board footer