Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

I've spotted a few photos doing the rounds on places like Facebook and Buzzfeed of people's soft sculptured work (most recently a sewn owl and polar bear). But the person posting it up will say it's a real animal.

On the one hand it's wonderful to see work being made that's so life-like, it's something I want to strive for too. But on the other hand it's disappointing because all the people seeing and commenting on it either think it IS real and coo over how cute the baby animal is, or simply yell "fake!". Neither of which gives the artist any credit or consideration for their hard work and effort.

It kinda bugs me (of course I should just let it go) but I wondered what other people's reactions were?

karenaus Melbourne
Website

lol YES it bugs me soooo much! The polar bear cub by Tatiana Scalozub ( please forgive me if I've spelled that wrong) is another that pops up too....and it bugs me for exactly the same reason, the artist gets no credit for it at all.... Sort of like the "marzipan babies" photo floating around five six years ago ( maybe more ) they STILL pop up lol although she did get a bit of credit and tv coverage etc at the time.
   Whenever I can I'll tell people no, someone created these..... And try and slip some education in bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I feel the same, and I try to do what Karen does - post links and artists' names, for example. (My cousin's kids fell for Tatiana's polar bear cub, so I sent her a link to the Etsy kit. I don't think she'll have time to learn a new art form right now with four young kids, however! bear_grin )

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Bugs me too. I usually know who made the animal in question, most of them are Melisa Nicholas, and I make sure I leave the name of the maker in a comment.
If you see this post Melisa, or Tatiana, I would like to know how you feel about it.

Board footer