Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

MarthaGrayse Posts: 2

Hello all!

I hope someone on here can help me identify a teddy bear.  And because I want to be upfront with all of you, I do want you to know that I am an antiques dealer by trade.  I tell you this because the bear I need help identifying does not belong to me -- this very sweet older gentleman has asked for my help with some of the bears that belonged to his late wife.  I've seen her collection and a good many of her bears are Steiff (with buttons, tags, and all). 

However, there is one very large bear that we can't identify.  It is a very large bear (24 inches long), with jointed arms and legs.  I think it's made from mohair, which is worn.  Also,  his eyes have come out (but I still have them - just can't figure how to put them back in, or even if I should).

Any and all help will be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Martha1391201278_bear1.jpg1391201294_bear2.jpg1391201310_bear3.jpg1391201328_bear4.jpg

la_gaviota AnnaBug Bears
Tulsa, OK

It might be an antique chiltern.  There's a listing on ebay for one that has very similar features in regards to the nose stitching and eyes.  Check it out - ebay Chiltern bear

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's definitely not a Steiff, but it's interesting enough to warrant an email to Ken Yenke, in my opinion. You can contact him through his website. The small fee he charges would be more than worth it since it would supply you with information and a value range for the bear.

Becky

MarthaGrayse Posts: 2

Thank you all so much for your help!  I've sent Mr. Yenke an email and hope he can identify the bear for us.

Thanks again!  You all are great!

Martha

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Please let us know who the bear is when you get her identified Martha. She is a lovely old lady.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Martha, I learned today that Mr. Yenke has passed away after an illness. He left a lot of teddy-bear knowledge behind, but I'm sure he takes a lot more with him. May he rest in peace.

Becky

Board footer