Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

PlushPuppy Posts: 110

I bought some glass eyes from Eyedentity and they arrived today. However, when I inserted them (their on wire) to try them out, they don't look right - at all :(. So I cut some out of an old plush dog to try instead, and they don't look right either. Even the eyes on the cheapest plush dog I found look right. Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong, or why they don't look right please? Their 16mm, are they too big?

46f4a5c7e41ff897f062be7e1ce6b94f_zps9dd3a5bb.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Yes, they could be too big. I also notice that the face doesn't have much definition yet, which might also be producing an odd effect. (I might try 12 mm black eyes for a comparison.)

I'm going to try swapping them for 12mm ones in a darker colour. The face hasn't been clipped down yet (there's also no stuffing in the muzzle as I just put some in the head to try the eyes out), it needs clipping where the nose is, and the face needs the fur shorter, but I was going to leave it until it's finished then clip it all together. Do you think it would be better if I clipped the face before then?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree with Becky that smaller eyes would look better.  I always trim fur off the muzzle of bears before I put in eyes/nose/mouth so I can get a better idea of where they need to be placed.  Also, (IMO) the whole head needs to be stuffed before trying the eyes . . . it makes a LOT of difference.  I do make a final trim of the muzzle after I've finished placing the eyes,/nose/mouth.

Zhennijen Jennifer Wang Bears
Adelaide, South Australia
Website

My, what big eyes you have!  bear_tongue  Heehee, 12mm eyes might be a better fit, but it really depends on the look you're going for.
There is one thing you could try -- trying spacing the eyes a little further apart like in the photo below (do this after you're finished stuffing). This might balance the features out a bit better, but if it still looks "odd", then downsizing to the 12mm is your next best bet.

1398071010_maltese_evelyn.jpg

Keep at it! Today my poor bear had his eyes and nose ripped out twice and his chin replaced. So cruel, but at least he ended up looking cuter  bear_whistle

The reason I've not completely stuffed the head, is because I'm not sure if the eyes and nose are easier to attatch with or without the stuffing first. I'll clip the fur down a bit and try once more, but I really don't think those eyes are going to work. I think the pupil is also too small, making them look stare-y instead of soft and natural :P.

bear_laugh Zhennijen, is that a real dog or a plush one? If its a plush, it's amazingly real! And that's how I wanted the eyes to look, whereas the ones I've got look so odd!

Website

bear_happy  Yes, it's a photo of a real dog. I find using real animals for inspiration always helps me with my proportions.

Let us know how you go with your head and eyes. I'd love to see the final result!

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

I think your right about the eyes the black pupil looks a bit small to me too. Size wise I agree with Sue Ann that you really need to stuff the face out to tell properly it also helps to roughly pin the ears in position too as this will widen the face and therefore make the eyes appear smaller. Also don't forget if you are pulling the eyes deeper into the head that will make them slightly smaller looking too. It takes me ages sometimes to faff about trying different eye sizes/positions. I guess getting it right fist time comes with experience. Keep at it you will win in the end  bear_thumb
michelle

Thanks for the replies, I have sent them back and should get a replacement in a day or so, which will hopefully be right this time. I have now attached the ears, so I'll re stuff the face properly and see how it looks.

I got the replacement eyes today, so here's mark 2:

4cc880b9b39708d6a88541b8ed138491_zpsc5973f6e.jpg

Their a MUCH better style and colour, and I think the size (12mm) is ok, but would like an expert opinion:D. Are they right or do I need a 14mm?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Much, much better!  Stick with these.

Website

Wowww!! Perfecto!!  bear_thumb Such a huge difference - definitely stick with these  bear_smile

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Yep defo these are the ones. From yetti to doggy in one fall swoop. Looking good! bear_original  bear_original
michelle

I will stick with these then, hopefully they will look even better once their fixed in, and possibly an eye socket scuplted for them.

I have a couple of questions on fixing the eyes:

Do I need to put white felt behind them?
Can I use a bradal or does it have to be an awl to poke a hole for the eye to go through?
Will any of these threads do?:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gutermann-Top … 3f0eaa8a9f

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-Strong-Li … 415ff388ed

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Waxed-Linen-t … 27dd4e9b3e

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That last thread looks good to me, and the felt whites are definitely optional. (If you did want a backing for the eyes, felt in black or dark brown, just a tiny bit larger than the eyes themselves, might give a nice defined border. Totally optional, though.)

When you make a hole (with an awl, scissor tips, etc.), the trick is to push the threads in the backing fabric apart without actually breaking them. That way you won't weaken the fabric.

Becky

Board footer