Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Dilu Posts: 8,574

I don't know this person, is she a BIG artist?v  I ask because a cairn Terrier of her's went for $1725.00. US.  It truly was a beautiful little dog, and it looked real, and I was  very I mpressed with her work.  But I didn't know her name or her work prior to this..... 

Also I don't think I have ever seen her stuff before, but I am new to this e-bay stuff so

what can you guys tell me?

I doubt the dog is still available to look at, which is really too bad because he was truly magnifiscent.

dilu

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … %3AIT&rd=1

it is still available to see.....this is the link- I hope it works for you guys

The link did work.....good.  For those of you who haven't seen this, you gotta....

I just had an awful feeling.....what if it was a real dog and I am being really goofy?

hmmmmmm

I can handle it

you laugh

I blush

:lol:

I just read the bottom of all her pictures....she is somebody big in the art world.....Sorry Mary, I didn't know,     :redface:  but I know good stuff when I see it    :dance:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Dilu...I've admired Mary's stuff for a LONG time.  In fact her bears, dogs and cats were what got me looking into artist bears a little more deeply...only wishing and hoping that someday I could afford one.  HA...now I'm making my own...well okay so they aren't even anywhere near her league but she's got 20+ years on me (in artist soft sculpture that is).

Its a good thing we are making our own Miss Shantell.....cuz there's no way in the world I could ever ever ever afford to purchase one of her things.....1700+ bucks.  Boy more power to her, and it can only help the rest of us.....those who want one of hers, but can afford it might buy from us.  Right?

Yeah- I hadn't seen the bottom before, I think because I was banned from e-bay prior to Christmas but honeybunny had put it in favorites.....so I got to see the final price.

woooHoooo  I am happy for you Mary!   Keep it up!

dilu

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

I was wondering about her too.  I've seen her stuff sell for a lot of money on ebay but I don't know anything about her other than that.  I would be happy if TTers and the 2 other non-TT artists I like got that much money, but that I wouldn't be able to adopt any more.  bear_cry

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
     Yes, Mary has been around for a long time - one of the forerunners of bearmaking. I've been making bears for 10 years and she was a big name long before I started.   She was also one of the designers for Ganz Cottage Collectibles a few years ago.
     For those of you drooling over her work, when she first started on ebay a couple of years ago around Christmas time, she sold a one of her pieces for over $14,000 and two others for over $6500.00 each.  I still remember totaling her earning for the month and it was over $27,000.00 and telling my husband about it.  I do loveher dogs -  they are absolutely magnificent, but honestly I do not think I would feel comfortable with my things selling in that range, even if it was possible.   I don't think you could ever expect them to retain their purchase value and it would leave me with an icky feeling.  But obviously people like her toys enough to pay that amount for it, so good for her.  I can't imagine the stress of being the only breadwinner in the family, especially with the fickle world of art! 

Hugs,

Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Her bears and dogs are awesome.. I have been in awe of her work and the prices she gets, they are well deserved, but I will never be able to own one HA!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I also am in awe of Michelle Lamb's bears... She sold one recently for over $4,000.00.... Gorgeous bear, it really was, but wow!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
thumperantiques wrote:

but honestly I do not think I would feel comfortable with my things selling in that range, even if it was possible.   I don't think you could ever expect them to retain their purchase value and it would leave me with an icky feeling.

I'm with you! The only way I'd accept that much for a piece I made (like THAT will ever happen!) and still sleep at night would be to donate the profits to a charity.

She does do amazing work!
My parents have two Cairns and this one looks just as real!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Di, I agree Mary's work is awesome. I have one of her pandas and I just love him. The little dog looks so real I'm sure I would feel that I must feed him if I were the lucky one to own him. All I need is some rich person to adopt me and buy me one of Mary's beautiful doggies...nair! no chance, who would adopt an old, overwieght gal like me...guess I'll have to give those bikkies to my real dogs!  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Jane.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Twisted Whiskers Singapore

If u like realistic animals, look out for Karen Lyons.  Her cats are very realistic. I thought they were real cats from their photos.   I'd bet the auctions $ for her cats would be going up substantially soon.  Her website is http://www.kjlyons.com/

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I have to say I'm a HUGE admirer of Mary Halstad's work...and Michelle Lamb, and Karen Lyons...and several others.  These ladies do such a tremendous job on their various bears, dogs and kitties.  The detail is incredible, and its as if the animal will blink, and move...in fact, I'm sure they do. 

I've noticed many of Mary's items go for high dollar prices...and I have to say, I'm thrilled with it.  Its truly gratifying for her bears and dogs to be noticed for the art they are.  Afterall, there are lots of people in the world to whom $1,000 is just play/pocket money.  There's nothing to be ashamed of if they fall in love with your work, and want to pay that much.

wow!  What can you say.  $27,000.

More power to her, and I love that all three of those ladies are creating art that collectors want badly enough to pay for.

Hmmmmm......27 thou.....could buy a bear from everyone here for that and have money left over to build a room to store them in.  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

wow.

dilu

my dad said that when you see art you really like from an "unknown" you should snatch it up before they become a known.....I figured he knew since he was an artist.

wow

dilu

nettie scotland
Website

I have also watched her work for years.I think she is very talented and has obviously worked very hard to perfect her creations.I have been making bears for nine years now and would like to improve enough to command higher prices.I think you have to take into account the years of perfecting her designs when you see what people pay for them.The dogs do look almost real.
I support my family  with bears and it can be very hard sometimes but then I picture myself back in a office and it all seems worth it.It is the not knowing how well they will sell that month that is stessful.I envy  and admire the people that get such high prices and they inspire me to keep at it and try and improve.Maybe one day?????

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  bear_original  I adore Mary's work! The little Cairn is the best she's done yet. The first critter I saw of hers was a fox--breathtaking.  bear_wub

Eileen

Well, I love that you have all given me new understandings into the bear world.  I had no idea....but I think its great! 

In my mind there is room ibn the art world for the $7000 dollar bear and the $200 dollar bear.....and we do what we can. 

I found her work inspiring- thank you for the website link, and it makes me want to try harder, worker longer, do better. 

My father said we are only in competition with ourselves...I think that is true, but I find the work of the artists who have gone before me to be inspiring and they give me something to aim for,

dilu

LynBlair Posts: 139

In my opinion, those who work bringing huge amounts of beauty and joy into the world making bears, deserve to be as well paid as this particular artist......and that includes all the artists participating on this board.

:hug: ,
Lyn

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

It's so funny that you should start this thread Dilu. I just came across Mary's name for the first time yesterday elswhere on the net. I spent a good hour all agog at her amazing work and the prices she gets for them!  Whew!
Very inspiring!
Still, right now I would just be happy to (some day) make bears that people want to buy. (preferably on a fairly regular basis and at a bit of a profit otherwise I won't be making bears long!! lol.)

Kudos to Mary Halstad!! :clap:

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Mary Holstad's work is incredible. Because I've always sold on eBay, she was one of the first artists I became aware of and I'm still in awe of her work!!! Especially the dogs..soooo cute & lifelike!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Who is Michelle Lamb?  I've seen her stuff sell for a lot but don't know anything about her.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

oooh she makes loverlee bears... her is her website.. http://www.oneandonlybears.com/

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Oh I love Mary too.  I love all the outfits she makes for her bears.  Adorable  bear_innocent   And Michelle is wonderful too...her bears eyes are lovely and the whole look is so innocent.  I think they are the top two artisits aren't they??  I know they both get stacks for their bears!  But well deserved  bear_smile
hugs sarah

newbearland Christchurch, New Zealand

She is an amazing artist - I absolutely adore that Cairns Terrier. 

Dilu I to wouldn't have been surprised if someone had said it was real.

Mel

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Mary and Michelle command some of the top dollars on ebay in the teddy bear categories.
With Mary's dog please note that she also lists them in  the dog cateogries as well and I believe that it is the dog people that are spending that kind of money.
Never the less kudos to both of them.
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I don't believe it!!!! It's got to be a real dog surely?

Can anyone make a dog that realistic? Blimey, i bet Mary has bought a penthouse suite with the cash from all her sales. Good Luck to her, wish i could make such beautiful pooches!

Penny  bear_thumb

Pages:

Board footer