Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Hi all
I seem to be getting a larger and larger bag (ok bags  bear_rolleyes ) of bits of mohair. You know those bits left over that are too big to warrant binning but 'might' come in useful for a contrast muzzle/paw pads/. Anything that is big enough to get an ear out goes in the bag, mohair is so expensive I can't waste any. Usually when I go rummaging in it the piece I like is never large enough for what I need it for bear_angry But if I do manage to use a bit I can't tell you how pleased I am with myself :angel:
Is it just me? I keep intending to use them up on little bears with mixed colour fur or tiny bears if the piles not too long. Any body else have a use for or actually makes the effort to use (my admiration would be great) up these left overs? Or maybe suggestions on helping me cut down on my 'might come in' habit?
michelle

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Michelle, I might have written that post myself, I have the same habit. I can't part with those scraps. I tell myself I could sew them together like a quilt, or do loads of minis with multicoloured arms and ears....never got round to do it, and I guess I never will. They just grow and grow, and haunt me! bear_original  bear_original  bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ah, yes - the "could-be-useful bag"! bear_laugh

I  must have at least 30 such pieces (nothing too tiny since those pieces already live in my scrap bag with the trimmings), and since I don't make small bears, they're intended for contrasting bits of larger bears. And I actually have used these pieces several times! When it comes to finding a coordinating color or texture, I think the more choices you have, the better! Looking through them can be quite inspiring.

I guess it depends on how much storage space you have, but I'm in favor of keeping any good-sized (apply your own definition) piece of mohair.

Becky

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Add me to the list that doesn't like to throw any size piece of mohair away . . . not until I HAD to free up some space.  Then I filled several sacks of mohair bits to give to churches for Vacation Bible School.  Little kids like to use scraps of anything to make pictures or whatever their creative and imaginative minds can conjure up.  Also gave a few larger pieces to charity organizations.  But don't worry - I still have PLENTY left!

Logibears Posts: 12

Yes I suffer from this too - think it is part of the bearitis condition, lol!!

Maryanne, x

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

You betcha!!!  And tho I don't always (seldom) use them, I do find that when I go thru and fondle them, I remember the bears they came from and have a sentimental moment   bear_wub

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I do the same thing! If i can get a ear out of it, then its big enough to be kept. As such i have a growing pile also. Sometimes i go back and manage to use some.

I did have an idea that i would use some scraps to stick in a scrap book and write underneath the colour and length of fur so i can easily browse the furs i use. I have bought the scrap book, now i just need to get round to sticking bits in.

bear_cool

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_grin  bear_grin Well it seems to be a side affect of the bear making addiction Logibears by the look of things. Good to know I'm not the only one! Francesca - wow a quilt what a great idea although it may end up in the loft with another half started quilt I am making for the new baby in the family (did I mention he has started school last year bear_rolleyes )
Becky that is just my problem, my house is the size of a rabbit hutch  bear_grin Hummm I live round a corner from a primary school so you may have something there Sue Ann. Thelma I do tend to keep the tiniest scrappy bits of mohairs that remind me of a favourite bear. Jenbee keeping a scrap book of different pile lengths/finishers would be very useful when ordering off the internet oh no think that is another one for the (ever increasing) to do list!
Well thanks every one for your input I think the best plan is to stand up and be proud of my thriftiness or possibly you may see me in a TV show in a couple of years living in the shed as my house has been given over to the 'useful' bits and bobs.
michelle

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
edmondnutmeg wrote:

... or possibly you may see me in a TV show in a couple of years living in the shed as my house has been given over to the 'useful' bits and bobs.

... and I will appear in the same TV show living in my shed as my house has been given over to teddy bears!  bear_laugh

Board footer