Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

GeelongSally Posts: 1

Hi, I'm an Aussie Bear Maker and have been asked to make a bear for an upcoming Exhibition. I've had a gorgeous piece of cream German (Shulte) Mohair which I've had for many years. I bought it as a remnant as it only measures 19" x 14" (49cm x 35cm). All of my bear patterns are for sizes 12" and up so not near enough fabric. Would anyone know what size bear I could expect to get from my piece ( I was thinking maybe a 10" but that still may be too big) I did find a pattern on the internet for an 8" bear but there was a lot of wastage. I would like to get the largest possible bear that the fabric will allow. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated & any suggestions for a pattern for a nice jointed bear. I have a large assortment of discs & eyes etc.

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

greetings!

to be blunt, do you have a scanner and a printer?  if I were you I would try taking a pattern you are familiar with, scanning it, adjusting the size with a photo editor (use irfanview.com free online if you don't have a suite) then just try laying out the pattern on the fabric to see if it fits.
Over the years I've seen many artists post "rules of thumb" for estimating fur consumption, but when you factor in how different each pattern is beyond a basic jointed bear, all that goes out the window.

Conversely, if you ever wanted to blow a pattern up , try using an old school overhead projector (just like the teachers used to use in school when we were kids)  when I want to blow a pattern up that's just the trick for me, right into butcher paper on the wall, pop in the darts and you're ready to go.

Good luck!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Geelong,

Have you thought about making a larger bear by combining two types of fabric--your cream mohair and another color?

Becky

Board footer