Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

bear_flower  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_wub

1409619207_parrot-information.jpg

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Tedz Tedz

He is beautiful! bear_wub bear_wub bear_wub I love parrots.  I have a budgie, but have always wanted a big parrot.  I'm not so sure my neighbours would share my enthusiasm though!

LitWit Posts: 298

So beautiful! I hope they're a protected species by now in South America.  bear_ermm My aunt had an African Grey that she swore was smarter than some humans she met! His name was Calibus, and he loved to tease the dog and listen to soap operas while my aunt was at work.  bear_happy The closest thing I have is a plush parrot (surprisingly like the picture) that I won from a claw machine.  bear_rolleyes

Tedz Tedz

Nope, sadly they're not a protected species (not as far as I know).  I'd never ever buy one as a pet unless I knew the breeder and they hadn't been imported, as sadly it still goes on.  You're right though, they really are very intelligent.  Most mimic sounds or even words rather than understand the meaning, but some of the bigger species like African Greys and Macaws can understand.  Neither Theo or I are big TV people, but I do need to get my fix of one of my English soaps.  Every time I watch Eastenders, my budgie goes crazy.  He sings his little heart out to the theme tune!  He doesn't actually sing the tune, but it's clear he likes it and recognises it!  He 'talks' too.  Theo denies that he does and thinks I'm crazy (he might be right there!), but he does say 'pretty boy' in amongst his constant daily chatter.  It's not very clear but he definitely says it.  He is just mimicking though, but the bigger species really can have an understanding of some words.  I bred cockatiels a few years ago.  They did used to tease the dog, flicking seed out on him as he walked past.  It was so funny to watch, they were little devils.  My budgie and dog live quite harmoniously together now though.  The budgie always does a little hello or goodbye chirp when anyone enters or leaves the room - he even does it to the dog, but the dog doesn't respond so he gets annoyed!

LitWit Posts: 298

Calibus would actually call the dog: "Here, Emmy, Emmy, Emmy!" and then laugh (in the voice of my aunt's fiance) when Emmy came running.  bear_laugh

My uncle (now married to my aunt, but not the fiance mentioned above) knew a guy who raised his African Grey, BJ, in a bar (pub?). Took him to work with him every day and let him hang out behind the bar and mingle with the customers. BJ would mimic the sounds of ice clinking into glasses, liquor pouring, pinball machines, theme songs, and I'm sure built up quite an objectionable vocabulary!  bear_rolleyes

Board footer