Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

CrawlyCreepies Posts: 89

I'm planning to try the "Wrap a 3d form in packing tape and cut it off to make a pattern" method for the first time. I'll be using modeling clay over a foil and wire armature. I figure if the clay gets too soft I can stick it in the fridge or freezer.

Anyone tried this method before?

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

It's not a technique I have tried before, though I have seen it featured on blogs. It should work fine - the only thing bear in mind, of course, is seam allowance, and how much the pile will alter the overall form (if you use a piled fur for the finished piece)... Let us know how you get on, it would be really interesting to see!  bear_original

I actually make all my patterns without seam allowance and add it when I cut (I have a hard time with patterns that include seam allowance bear_whistle ). I'm unsure about the influence the pile will have on the shape, but I suppose practice and experience is the only way to get a feel for that.

I'm still working out the preliminary sketches, but I'll be sure to include some progress photos once I finish the clay form.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

That sounds awesome!  I have not tried it before but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Here's the form. I made it a little on the thin side to take into account fabric stretch and pile.
10620685_10201956883598460_4599435168924103577_n.jpg?oh=3b277e29b68bdd8b08142d0e5dd40ebf&oe=549D4A1C&__gda__=1419256744_0a31874bb200667cf4a3af6db80d0a82
I haven't worked with clay in a while, and it was a bit harder to do than I remembered. Nooo idea what I was doin with the head, but hopefully it'll work out. I can always do a little needle sculpting in a pinch.

Now I wait for the modeling clay to cool off and firm up a bit before I can wrap it in plastic wrap and tape to make the pattern.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi CC,

I was wondering how your experiment went?

Board footer