Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

littlelostbear Posts: 2

I'm hoping to ID two lost bears. I realize the liklyhood of me finding replacements in decent condition, at a price I can afford, is low so my hope is to have them re-created. For that, I need pictures or at least a description.

The first bear belonged to my mother. It was a pink and white panda. She would have had it during the 50s or 60s. It had a music box built in. I believe it played "Toyland".

The second bear belonged to my father. It was more of a "traditional" teddy bear with one exception: it had a tear running down next to his eye. He had it no earlier than 1958 and it was lost to him around 1970. He came home from summer camp to find that his parents had divorced, his family had moved, and all his toys thrown away by his mother.  :cry:

I know I can't replace what has been lost but, after everything they've done for me, I'd like to give them a small piece of their childhood back.

Thank you in advance for your help in ID'ing these lost little bears!

LitWit Posts: 298
littlelostbear wrote:

He came home from summer camp to find that his parents had divorced, his family had moved, and all his toys thrown away by his mother.  bear_cry

This is the saddest thing I've read in a long time. Your poor father! bear_cry

LitWit Posts: 298

Did the panda have a rubber snout, like this one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-Red-and-Whit … 3a972c93a4

It looks like Gund and Knickerbocker made quite a few musical bears back in the 50s-60s, so maybe you'll be successful. Best of luck! bear_original

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I haven't seen crying teddies with fur faces before, so was curious to have a look, i only found the rubber faced bears like this Rushton ted
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rushton-TEDDY-B … 4897.l5672

I would be interested to know what your fathers teddy looked like. How terrible that he had his things thrown away like that, it must have effected him, i hope you can find both teddies bear_original

littlelostbear Posts: 2

Wow! Everyone, thank you for your help!

After having another chat with my dad I was able to find out that yes, his bear did have a rubber face! It must have been a Rushton. Now I have a much better idea of what to look for - all thanks to you!

Haven't had a chance to show my mom the rubber snouted panda but hopefully that (or Gund/Knickerbocker) is the right track. My dad was able to get a better description from her so I'm looking forward to talking to him about it.

This wouldn't be so terribly difficult except I'm trying to be semi-covert in my questioning since I'd like this to be a surprise. My idea that seems to be working: Convincing the parent that I'm trying to find the other's missing bear. Asking for their assistance and suggesting maybe they can talk about their lost bear in an effort to get more info. They haven't caught on yet  bear_innocent

Thank you again for all your help!

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

I love it, the idea of the covert questioning, how lovely to surprise them this way.

I hope that you manage to find the bears, let us know how it goes!

Board footer