Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Olgitta Plushyk
Kyiv

Is it ok to fill vintage bears not with wood wool, but with sheep wool, for example? Would that correspond to technique and collectors' expectations? What do you think?

Example of what I mean:

Here is a teddy bear:
1414163038_listik_06.jpg

He was tortured to give him a more antique look. I plan to make a series of similar teddies, and would rather prefer to fill them with wool, but would also like to make everything right. Please, help bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Olgitta, Bear makers often use non-traditional materials to fill vintage-style bears. Personally, my only expectation is that a vintage-style bear should be stuffed firmly (not too soft), and we can do that with sheep's wool or even polyester fiber.

Your bear looks really sweet, and just a note about English: We usually say that the bear has been "aged" or "distressed" to make it look old. (The word "tortured" sounds very strong for teddy bears.) bear_flower

Becky

Olgitta Plushyk
Kyiv

Hi Becky!

Thank you for your reply! This is very good news for me! bear_laugh   I love stuffing bears with sheep wool, I really like the process with it.
Thank you also for your comment about correct terms bear_flower
I looked for a right word, but failed bear_original Tortured really sounds way too strong  bear_grin

Board footer