Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

hopefulsoul Posts: 7

Hello Teddy Talkers

I just joined because I have a huge favor to ask. I need help identifying this bear I used to have but that my roommate lost while moving. After posting on Reddit about it and being redirected to this amazing Teddy Bear forum I thought I would give it a shot.

His name was Bob. He was about 20" tall, beige, furry, with a cream ribbon on. Some Redditors pointed out that he must've been a Gund bear because of the way his nose was stitched.

He was bought around ten years ago in the Dominican Republic, which means it must've been some major manufacturer that exported it to us (because we don't make teddy bears of our own).

Here are some pictures of him:

wm8ImpO.jpg

y0k1QcP.jpg

isE5h6b.jpg

AakJVkC.jpg

The black bowtie isn't his, I added that to him.

I will be eternally grateful to whoever helps me identify this bear, and I am willing to pay anything to get another one like him.

Please help.

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

Hi....Bob isn't a Gund, they never made feet like that.  My guess is probably Dan-Dee Intl. They were sold in many big-box stores and toy stores. but the only way to make a positive ID on a bear like this is to find an identical one on ebay, which is certainly doable if you are willing to put the time in.

I see you have an Aurora "Bruiser"- nice choice...I have a few myself, they're very expressive bears and give great hugs bear_original

BlackmoonBear wrote:

Hi....Bob isn't a Gund, they never made feet like that.  My guess is probably Dan-Dee Intl. They were sold in many big-box stores and toy stores. but the only way to make a positive ID on a bear like this is to find an identical one on ebay, which is certainly doable if you are willing to put the time in.

I see you have an Aurora "Bruiser"- nice choice...I have a few myself, they're very expressive bears and give great hugs :)

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION. I knew you guys knew your stuff well!
I will spend all the time I need in ebay to see if I can find another one like it.

Also thanks for also identifying my bigger bear, Alfonso! He was a gift so I had no idea what kind he was.

Well I tried searching for Dan Dee bears on ebay. None look like my Bob :/
I also tried Douglas, since I found one that looked similar to Bob.

I even found out what one of my other teddy bears is!

But no Bob :'(

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

You gave up far too quickly.

here is how you should go about it....

get a pen and paper- write out a short description of bob, as best you can....measure him from ears to foot (standing) and keep that handy. Now try using different iterations of that description including his size, color, ect.
and make a habit of scouring listings once a week. IT WILL TAKE A LONG TIME. be patient.

members here have found many bear copies that way.

I will definitely check every week, but I definitely looked pretty hard!

I actually put the vaguest things possible and look through thousands of bears individually. looked through all of the Gund, Dan dee, and Douglas bears there were in ebay.

Checking regularly is definitely something I have to do.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Is the bear made of cotton plush? That's a fairly unusual feature.

Good luck in your search!

Becky

dangerbears wrote:

Is the bear made of cotton plush? That's a fairly unusual feature.

Good luck in your search!

Becky

I have no idea. Thanks.

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

I have an idea that might work!  I've done myself this when trying to identify a bear.

Google "20-inch teddy bear"....put that in quotes though, because Google will pull up exact listings for you.  Then click on "images" and you'll see thousands of bear pictures.  You can narrow it down by saying it like this:

tan "20-inch teddy bear"   
light brown "20-inch teddy bear"

or something along those lines and see what pictures the computer pulls up. 

I took a quick peek...perhaps it's from Toys R Us...are they in the Dominican Republic? 

I hope this helps

EJ wrote:

I have an idea that might work!  I've done myself this when trying to identify a bear.

Google "20-inch teddy bear"....put that in quotes though, because Google will pull up exact listings for you.  Then click on "images" and you'll see thousands of bear pictures.  You can narrow it down by saying it like this:

tan "20-inch teddy bear"   
light brown "20-inch teddy bear"

or something along those lines and see what pictures the computer pulls up. 

I took a quick peek...perhaps it's from Toys R Us...are they in the Dominican Republic? 

I hope this helps

I did ! I searched for the most vague things. "light brown teddy bear, beige teddy bear, 20" teddy bear," even went through all of the Gund, Dan Dee, and Douglas bears there are in ebay. I must've gone through at least 5,000 bears yesterday :/

I found several that were very similar, but no perfect match.

We don't have a Toys R Us but we have like a spanish equivalent. I'm sure any bear that was sold internationally would've had a chance to be sold in our stores back home. My best guess is that it would be either an American or European brand. That's where we get most of our stuff from.

LitWit Posts: 298

If you "follow" your specific searches on ebay, you can get email updates whenever new matching items are listed. Then youcan go directly to the matching items from the email. Might save you some time.  bear_original

LitWit wrote:

If you "follow" your specific searches on ebay, you can get email updates whenever new matching items are listed. Then youcan go directly to the matching items from the email. Might save you some time.  :)

This is a great tip I had no idea about. Thank you!

Jenbee Barnetby Bears
England
Website

My first thought when i saw him is that he looks like a Boyd bear. Most of their bears are dressed, but some are not and i have one a little similar to yours that i was bought when the only Boyd factory in the UK closed down.

Yours isn't totally unlike this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004DDWNPU/ref … nkCode=asn

I hope you manage to find out what your bear is bear_original

Is he 20 inches sitting, or lying flat?

This is the closest that I could find. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151395816043?_t … EBIDX%3AIT

I know it's not the same, but maybe it'll make a good addition while you try to find a closer replacement?  bear_sad

Just found this guy today. He looks similar...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-32-81-CM-NE … 4d26bb8e58

lostteddybear Posts: 1

hi hopefulsoul, he looks a lot like a Gund Buffles, though the feet paws look different. Do an image search on google. There are also some listed on ebay.

Board footer