Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

jellybiehn Posts: 13

Hello,
I couldn't find exactly what I needed in the library as the answer to this topic is currently unavailable, so I thought I would come directly to the experts. I am just starting out in the teddy world, and have mainly stuck to bears, but a friend requested I try and make her bear look more like a dog. I have been having fun with this request and made some terrier like ears for it, and added wire in them so I could achieve a 'one ear up/one ear down' look. Now I am having trouble deciding how to attach them correctly to the head.

Do I bury or attach the wire inside the head, or just sew it into the base of the ear and then attach them? I have left a length of wire extending from each side of the base of the ears to keep my options open, and have not sewn the bottom of the ears closed yet.  I am just winging it so far as these are my first attempt at wired ears. Hope I am explaining it well enough.

Thank you,
Jessi

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

One way to do it is to buy some of the aluminium ear lining foil style stuff that you get from taxidermy shops...you just cut out a piece and sew it inside the ear ...then stitch it on normally...as long as you catch it a couple of times as you stitch it to the head it stays put. Don't ask me for a link as I bought mine ages ago. But just google it. With wire I just whip stitch it to the stitching line of the seam....I make a loop on each end and I close the whole ear around the wire leaving the loops inside. I stitch it to the head and sew through the loops a few times..
Works for me

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree that the wires don't need to go into the head. I'd secure them to the seam line as Jenny suggests, bring the bottom ends together (and perhaps wrap with electrical tape if there are any poky ends), then close up the bottom of the ears with ladder stitch, and attach the ears to the head pretty much as usual. (good idea to catch the bottom of the wire as you do this)

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I do leave the wire and put them into the head. I use a needle to make a small hole and put the wire down into the head. I do this because it has helped me immensely with getting the ears on the head even. I always seem to have to reposition them. This way I can move them if I need to before I stitch them. I have found though because there is no loop on the wire, that it need to really be securely stitched up along the seam. That way if the ear get crimped the wire cannot crimp and work it's way up.

Board footer