Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

I've never heard of Tissavel or Prefur either!  Whats the link for tissavel??

Well, here in Oz I'm pretty sure our biggest supplier is Kogee through Beary Cheap and as I said I looooove it.  Just thought I'd share a few pics of some bears I've made with their stuff!
sammy.jpg Sammy is only tiny
polly.jpg these were made for my niece and had a few months of play before this phot was taken.  still holding together well and the little one has even been in the wash and dryer!!
rufus.jpg needle sculpting and inset muzzle...you can do it all with synthetics :)
zebedee.jpg that razzle fur everyone seems to hate but I love!!

kate Kates Mates
Malua Bay

Your bears are just beautiful.  Someone gave me some Razzle and until I saw your little Razzle man I've not been inspired (or game) enough to try it, having mostly only ever used mohair.  May I ask what size he is?   The fur seems just right for him.
Lovely!
Cheers
Kate

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Well my fav faux furs to work with came from monterray mills in WI.
I know that some people never cared for their fabrics, but I never had any trouble with them.
We would go to their outlet store and buy the fur by the pound, it usually worked out to about $7.00 ~ $9.00 /yard.
We still have a huge pile in one room that we need to use or sell. I don't think I have worked in faux fur in about 3 years.
Well the last faux fur bear I made was Orson and that was when MaeLynn was about 15 months old.
44LB3955.JPG
44LB4024.JPG

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

ADORABLE!!  bear_wub (and your bear is cute too!) bear_rolleyes

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Orson was 42" tall. My BIL custom made the discs for me.
He was fun to make, but I don't care to make too many of him.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Orson is magnificent!  Not easy to get such great personality into such a big bear either!  :clap:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Oh what beautiful pictures! Maelynn is a doll ! The bear is great! I can't work on big bears anymore. Too hard to stuff! He is superb. bear_thumb
Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Bear hugs and Golly smiles.
Gladys bear_wub

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

You know, Vicki,  ...this is only trouble brewing!!!

Shantell i think you are right hun  :crackup:  Thankyou for posting the link up again, im off for a look. Yes i said a look so no buying bear_whistle

Hugs
Vicki

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Gorgeous bears everyone!

Jared, your Orson is a very handesome fellow but I have to say MaeLynn steals the show. bear_original
I love how plush and snuggly synthetic bears look. I have searched and searched but can't seem to find any quality synthetic fur near me so these links help. Now I just have to come up with a way to pay for some new fur!  bear_shocked

Shantell wrote:

I'm trying to curtail my spending habit here people....THIS is not helping!!!

Me too, Shantell. Aaarghhh! bear_laugh   

I did find some lovely silver-gray fur on eBay a while back but haven't decided what to do with it yet. This thread has got me itching to do something with it though!

Great thread. Way to get everyone's creative juices flowing, Daphne! bear_thumb

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Hi Sarah,
I think your Sammy is made from the same Fabric as my Grumpster here: (I made this style back when I first started making bears. They all reminded me of big old grumpy grizzly bear men bear_grin ) I say "big old" but these are actually under 4 inches. This "fur" was the first order I placed for any kind of bear making fur/fabric.
GRUMPYDUDE2.jpg

This is a bunny made with the same synthetic, in white.....this stuff stretched like mad, so I really had to watch my patterns and the way I stuffed (good practice in the beginning!!)
GRUMPITYBUMPITY2.jpg

I liked the razzle and used it a bit, but do you find you have to back it?? 

Jared, Orson ROCKS!! I LOVE Big Ol' Teddy Bears... and how cute is that picture???!!! bear_wub

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Just thought I'd show you some of my first bears... all made of synthetics. Don't laugh... I made these the first year I was making bears.

These guys were made out of Schulte synthetic.

Group1sm.jpg

And the one in the middle below is also made of Schulte synthetic. The bear and the baby moose are made from KooGee synthetics from Beary Cheap.

Trio_1small.jpg

And this one was made from a craft store fur fabric:

maplebluesm.jpg

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Aw, Daphne they're all adorable! 

Have you guys ever posted you first attempts at bear making before...like your first bear ever. (??).  I've seen some artist sites that do that..the "then" and "now" pictures.

:hug:
~Chrissi

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Chrissi!

I think we did do that at one point. (Scratching head, trying to remember!!)

Quy..... where is our Scratching Head Smiley??????  bear_wacko

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

herschellethegnome7rs.jpg

This is a bear I made from Synthetic fur from Beary Cheap Supplies.

Vanilla Cream was the fabric, very soft to work with.

Australia
kate wrote:

Your bears are just beautiful.  Someone gave me some Razzle and until I saw your little Razzle man I've not been inspired (or game) enough to try it, having mostly only ever used mohair.  May I ask what size he is?   The fur seems just right for him.
Lovely!
Cheers
Kate

Thanks Kate  :hug:  Zebedee is big, 18.5 inches...I have three made up on my orders page on my web.  Also have a yellow, pink, multi coloured...all waiting to be sewn up!
Go on give the razzle a go, you'll be pleasantly suprised I think  bear_thumb
xx Sarah

Australia

Loving everyones synthetic bears!!!!!!  Jared, Paula, Denise....too cute!!!

Chissi, yep, I love that fur!!!  Grumpster is so cute!! sammy is around 4inches too...(can't be botherd going to my web to check  :rolleyes:)  I made my logo bear out of it too...I find that he is really popular with collectors so I'm always buying more of it...doesn't matter coz I just loooove the stuff bear_wub  bear_wub  Got the white but haven't tried it out yet.  Just so soft isnt' it!  Stretching, yep it does, but I found the slipperyness more of a problem.  Annoying to sew  bear_angry

I didn't back the razzle.  I didn't get any probs with fraying but I fray checked it...hmmm...I odn't think it would work on smaller bears as the weave is larger,but bigger bears work a treat in my opinion...and i love the feel when its stuffed and finished...like i don't know,...it has this feel that no other fabric has and I love it  bear_wub

Daphne, too cute!!  I love the last one little guy bear_wub

xx Sarah

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

These synthetic bears, rabbits and of course moose (!) are terrific!  The synthetic fabrics seem to give such a wonderful sense of cuddlinness!!

tuppies teddies Tuppies Teddies
Lindenow, Central Gippsland

butterflysitting3qh.jpg

Here is my contribution to the Razzle examples.  Have used it a couple of times.
This one sold on e-bay.
I have a couple more bears in cream shades of razzle will try and find the pics tomorrow. There is certainly a great range of synthetics, the challenge will be awesome.  bear_thumb

beartrande Bearlypink Bears
Website

Does anyone know where to find Razzle fur in the UK? I love it but can only find it on the bearycheap website so far.

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

hi girls may I add my 6pennyworth as a new bearmakere i only worked in synthetics i bought wherever i could also being a pensioner price was a big issue.ive loads of bears ive made from even scrap synthetic so just try everything  we cant all buy porche can  we go well  eveyone to there own Paula

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

I love this topic. I am also not wanting to upset the basket as well so please do not take what I say personally. I use synthetic furs as well as mohair. I LOVE BOTH  bear_wub I used to think the same as a few others that by using sythentic fur was in so many words not a good thing, but that was way back when the quality of sythentic fur was not as good as it is now! Synthetics have come a long way!!! The colors and the lengths of synthetics are great. I have seen some fabulous creations with both synthetic and Mohair and just love them all. I think it all depends on what look of bear or critter you are creating as to what you use fur wise. I like to use either to get a varity of looks for my bears and critters.

I have to think back to what my Grandmother made and from the materials she used that was just lying around the house. I can just hear her say "It is what one does with the material not the material itself"!!!!!  That is what makes one a true Artist bear_original I think I have also heard that from some where else too.

As to where to buy. I have gotten some really nice synthetic furs my Mom found at a garage sale belive it or not. I do not know where it was purchased or what type but it was really nice. You may also check out your local fabric stores. I know here in Kansas city there is a fabric store downtown somewhere I need to check out. Some private owned stores stock furs for people to make fur coats which are the higher quality synthetics. Some have a better backing than others which cause less stretching. I do find that some stretch can work to your advantage. I found one fur that has a slick woven backing on it and it was horrible to work with.

The best thing to do is expermint, expermint, expermint..................................

I have also had no problems using the Prismacolor markers on synthetic furs. They blend in very well.

Well that is my 2 cents worth and again I am not trying to upset anyone!!!!! I can see all types of advantages to using both Synthetic fur and Mohair. They are both wonderful to use to create wonderful Bears and Critters.

Sheryl

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Excuse the ignoance what is gaurd hairs when your talking synthetic fabric not  heard of this please assist
Thankyou Paula

bluejasminestudios Blue Jasmine Studios
Denver, CO
Website

Hello, everyone! I am new here and hoping  you all can help me. I make cats, some with wings and some without, and have admired everyone's work for (dare I say?) years before finally reaching out.

By far my favorite fabrics to use are a particular kind of synthetics. I have been using Beary Cheap's synthetic furs -- BUT does anyone know if there is a supplier for these in the US? Kogee? Ko-gee? I'm particularly fond of the Razzle and color-tipped lines (Singapore Orchid, Hollandaise, all the Mousse varieties) -- but really, anything I've tried from them has been so wonderfully soft and cuddly.
I've tried the synthetics from CRs Crafts and was not happy with the softness/quality.

You can see some of my cats (all made with the Beary Cheap fur).
Thanks, all!
- Brenna

Geronimo

Violet

Miss Kitty

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Welcome to Teddy Talk, Blue Jasmine! I don't know about the fabrics you mention, but I love the fact that you make "cats, some with wings and some without,"!  bear_flower

Becky

Board footer