Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Woollycritter Posts: 3

Hi, I am getting into hand painted eyes using glass cabochons. I was wondering if you were to buy a pair of hand painted eyes would you prefer they had a way to be attached already, or just have the flat backing and decide on your own way of attaching them?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Woolly . . . my preference has always been to use eyes that have the loop attached.  It's easier to make the indention in the face as you pull the eye in tightly to tie it off.  For eyes without loops, I had to needle-sculpt the indentions, then attach the eye with glue or whatever.  You can make your own loops by attaching strong wire to the back of the eye with epoxy clay.

Thank you for the help SueAnn. I didn't know about using epoxy clay I had tried gluing the wire into sculpy clay and it didn't seem sturdy enough. I have epoxy clay on its way to me now. bear_original

I have been working on making a nice set of eyes for a while now. Its been a lot of trial and error, mostly with the pupil. I thought I would post a picture of this 18mm set I just finished and see what everyone thinks. bear_laugh

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Really nice!!

Pijangibears Pijangibears
Denmark

It looks fantastic

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I really like the natural look of the irises, Woolly!

Becky

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think these are fantastic. I love the thin line details you added, and the pupils are great, very even.

Board footer