Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Ash Posts: 8

Hi all,
I've only recently started making bears, but I wanted to ask a quick question for those making and selling bears in the EU, specifically the UK.
After researching, it appears that anything sold that looks like a child would want to pick it up and play with it, which I think it is safe to say that teddy bears do, needs to have a CE mark to show that it has passed various safety tests.  Apparently just saying 'not suitable for children' is not enough.  I was wondering how you went about this, especially with one-off bears.  Or if there are any loop holes bear_happy It seems such a shame to have to make an additional bear to pull at, put in a washing machine, and set fire to!  Especially considering the cost of mohair, and the time that goes into making them.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Boz's Bears Tedwina & Friends
Shetland
Website

I spoke to our local trading standards about this ahead of attending our winter craft fair. They seemed to be happy as long as the product was clearly labelled as not a toy, and unsuitable for children under the age of 14.

I've just put that on all my labels and marketing materials, and that seems to have done the trick.

Ash Posts: 8

Thank you both for your help.  I've read some people have their local trading standards say yes and others say no.  I've sent an email to my local trading standards explaining what I'm hoping to do, so fingers crossed! bear_original

Kat Brierley Bears
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Website

I've looked into this before and found this document, it may help, but see what Trading Standards say.

I think price point makes a difference too. A collectors bear at £80 or more obviously wouldn't be something aimed at children.

http://www.conformance.co.uk/directives … EN_TXT.pdf

"List of products that, in particular, are not considered as toys within the meaning of this Directive (as referred to in Article 2(1))
1. Decorative objects for festivities and celebrations
2. Products for collectors, provided that the product or its packaging bears a visible and legible indication that it is intended for collectors of 14 years of age and above. Examples of this category are:
(a) detailed and faithful scale models;
(b) kits for the assembly of detailed scale models;
(c) folk dolls and decorative dolls and other similar articles;
(d) historical replicas of toys; and
(e) reproductions of real firearms"

Personally, I would place collectors bears with folk dolls or similar articles.

I have 'not suitable for anyone under 14' on the sewn in tag, on the hang tag and on the info booklets. I make sure I mention it on the website and if I mention any bears on FB etc. too.

Board footer