Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

asthehind Posts: 16

I've been experimenting with armatures, and I made a lion (was supposed to be a polar bear, but turned into a lion!) with armatured limbs and tail. I secured the top of the armature to his joints, but on one limb in particular, the paw end moves around a fair bit. How do I stop this from happening?

Bear for reference/fluff.
SKwjJrZ.jpg

VFnrOkJ.jpg

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

Are you using loc-line armature or wire? And do you mean it's loose where it meets the shoulder or the paw?

Wire. It's loose at the paw end.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I see a polar bear.  bear_grin  Anyway, I have done wired arms, so I’ll weigh in: It sounds as if there’s not enough stuffing in the paw. Use a stuffing tool (or chopstick, etc.) to work enough stuffing into the paw and around the wire to hold it firmly in place.
Of course, you don’t want to stuff the middle of the limb so firmly that it can’t bend, so leave that part a bit looser.

Becky

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

That was going to be my suggestion as well, more stuffing, or a single stitch around the wire loop in the paw at the seam line!
And if my two cents are worth anything, I see a really well done polar bear too  bear_thumb

Thank-you! I sometimes see a polar bear and sometimes a lion. bear_laugh I'll try that pattern again with different fabric at some point, but right now 'Lionel Bear' has a mane and tail, so his bearing days are over. Regarding securing locline, would securely stuffed paws be enough to keep that in position?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I've never used Locline, but it seems like it would be a similar situation.

Lionel. I love it.  bear_original

Becky

BerLynne Ontario -GTA

Lionel! I love it!  bear_wub

I just thought of something. If you wrap your loc-line in batting before stuffing the area around it with your other filler and needle sculpt the paws, stitching through the batting layer as Well, it should hold it in place. I took a moment to put some thought into the process I use, though I actually prefer wire over loc-line, but the theory would still stand, I think, and all I use is simple paw line definition. Hope that helps :)

And would you be so kind as to share a picture when you've considered him to be complete? He really is sweet!

Board footer