Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I am wanting to know if anyone can share this secret at all?
The nose is embroidered but has the nostrils.  I would love to know how it is done.  Can anyone help me at all?
I can't embroider anything but a the satin stitch for the nose and believe me that is a big ask for me so i am fascinated by this technique.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Where have you seen it?  Can you post links or photos?

Ripley, Queensland

http://cgi.ebay.com/YORKIE-Billy-lifeli … dZViewItem

The second one is harder to see

http://cgi.ebay.com/WESTIE-PUPPY-DOG-We … dZViewItem
Neither of them are the best examples really but all I can find at the moment.

This website shows that although they don't use it all the time they use it quite a bit.
http://www.zottelohren.homepage.t-onlin … /home.html

and one last one

there are a few good examples here and she sys that she embroiders the nose the sculpts it!
http://www.tammybears.com/pooches.html

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Whoa . . . all those dogs are masterpieces!

Ripley, Queensland

I know *sigh* I want to get that good.

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

What wonderful dogs ..... I can't help you Bronwen but I will be intrested to know how it is done also

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

teddy--2-j.jpgI sulpted a nose with nostrels once. Sorry I dont have a picture. What I did was embroider the nose then waxed it. Built the wax up and carved and sulpted the nose that way. I have a strong feeling that the teqniques that are used for those noses(they were fantastic work aye? absolutely marvelous) are a closely guarded secret.

You will just have to do some experimentation. You can get wonderful noses with nostrels by needlefelting you know. It all depends how much time and effert (sp?) you wish to put into it.

I know I havent been much help, SORRY :redface: but those that have successful noses put a lot of time into experimenting.
MAYBE if you ask 'Dilu" nicely she may experiment for you. I know I have an awful cheek for just mentioning it bear_grin  :redface:  bear_grin  bear_grin  Matilda

I hunted out aa example of a needlefelted nose. You are only limited by your imagination with needlefelting.
I just thought it might give you some inspiration. Which I'm lacking at the moment. It's been almost 2 weeks since I made a bear.  :redface:   Matilda

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Right...I have never done this but looking at that first one I would say that they start in the centre and embroider around a curve , tapering to almost a point like a 'c' shape that's thicker at the top, first one side then the other, probably two or three layers, then when that is perfect and symmetrical, my guess is they then finish off with  long embroidery stitches straight down the centre to form a septum....

The hard part will be the symmetry.....best of luck!!!

Ripley, Queensland

I think the needle felting ones will come first.... I have a hard enough time with noses as it is  :redface:
But thanks for looking everyone.

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Not sure but could they have varnished with a clear gloss, then whilst the varnish is tacky pushed/dented in the nostril shapes with a small rounded tool such as an embossing/parchment tool?

To do this successfully the nose would have needed to have been embroidered over a small layer of foam/felt to allow for the depth of the nostrils.

I'm probably completely well off track with this bear_wacko

:hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Matilda is right that at least two of those artists won't share the tiniest tid bit of their technuques with you! Top secret!

Embroidering then molding wax over sounds like the easiest way. I LOVE making felted noses for my mohair dogs. I've never tried waxing over the felted wool but I suppose that could be done much the same as over embroidery floss. Has anyone tried it? Guess I'll go post that question on the needle felting topic.......

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

On Tammys site she states on one of the dogs she hand stitches then waxed ,lacqured or has done both..I did not know anything would stick over wax...but guess it does.It may be acrylic laqure as I think a solvent based one would melt the wax?
I have seen in some books where they have done a nose then stitched down the center front to make the nostrils appear. It would be good to practice...
I am sure after you emb. layers of thread you could manipulate the threads with the wax ....sort of modleing it along..
Then again I have not tried needlefelting...I do think you may have much more control over this technique as it is not dependant upon one strand messing up the whole thing.Then you can build up the whole thing til satisfied..then... model. scrap, cut off, add , do whatever then seal it with wax or acrylic then varnish it for gloss or simi gloss acrylic..
.Hmmm, I have convinced myself, he,he,.............. Winney

All are awsome doggies...beautifully done...

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Bronwen....I don't know if this will help you or not...but I just made an embroidered nose with nostrils and here is how I did it.

Start in the middle and make it the length you want the nose to be.  Then as you go to each side (and I work both sides together, taking my needle under the center , to the other side). 
As you get to the area where you want the nostril to show up, start to make your stitches shorter...sort of arch it a bit...and then longer as you get to the outer side of the nose.
Finally when you are at the far outside of the nose...make long stitches again and pull them into the bottom of the original center stitches.
You can use paint or pens to fill the now existing nostril, with the color that you want.
I hope this helps you and that I have made it clear enough to understand.
nanc.......

Ripley, Queensland

Thank you for your help, Nancy you make perfect sense, for now though I am just trying to master the satin stitch and once I can get that right I will move onto this other technique.
I am not sure with needlefeltiong that I could needle felt onto real fur I would have to experiment with scraps and see.
Thanks again

Board footer