Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Id like to start a list of what I have found as being sucessful in creating the bears/.gollies...etc animals...and what size it produces..This may help other artists in determining what materials to get if they want to try these cuties.... please add to the list if you want...

One tip I have is try out the hook on the yarn to make a stitch you can work without having trouble pulling the stitches thru...to make the holes between the stitches SMALLER I found using one hook size smaller best.

strand baby yarn ( sport)                           size F hook..    No size known yet, prob 3 - 4"

Baby yarn w/ strand mohair type( thickish)         size J hook       "         prob 8 - 10"

Kiss by Red Heart (very fuzzy ) yarn                  size G hook      "         "           8"

Foxy  by Red Heart yarn & Caron ( hairy)            size  I             "         "            8"

2 strands Symphony by Red Heart ( fuzzy)         Size   I             "         "       8 - 9
Brush out after the joints and finishing  of this bear....as it gets realllly fuzzy... then scissor sculpt
that fur length the way you want it ....

As a rule some fuzzy yarns are very difficult to work with, hard to pull out stitches to do over
...it may be best to use i strand of some other thin kind of  yarn along with it.)

Another tip...If I crochet the piece with fuzzy yarn I  then turn it wrong side out..its a fuzzier bear that way.

COUNT YOUR STITCHES as you go and mark each row with a piece of black emb. thread.           

These were listed in Ted & Friends magazine Pg. 52 Jan /Feb 2004 issue .

Silk sewing thread                                      size 0.1                               No sizes known yet

Perle Cotton #5                                          size  1.00                     

Perle cotton #8                                          size 0.75         

Chenille & Fantasy novel yarn                       size   ?   

OK...til later I will add sone more or you can ...Fuzzy Hugs to you all.....Winney

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Winney, when you say "strand baby yarn", do you mean using it exactly as it comes off the skein or do you split the plies and use a single ply? Just curious, cause I split the plies in my yarn sometimes. I'll add to your list after I take a peek and my hooks.  bear_original

White City, Oregon

No..just use the yarn as is...one whole strand. Wow...I wonder if you split  baby yarn the bear would be dinky....I never thought to split regular worsted yarn .....like Red Heart... I think it is 3 or 4 ply .
I love the fuzzy look on these little bears ...but if you make them in non fuzy yarn and add details like hat, scarf, sweater... its like dressing a big  non furry bear that takes to wearing the clothes well........... I just love that avatar bear of yours and the way youhave used non furry yarn when it comes to the soles..looks great. ...........Winney

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I use slightly larger hooks than in that list, mainly size 1.00 for punch thread and perle cotton 8. I guess i crochet pretty tight and also I have problems grabbing the thread with too small a hook. I usually make bears 2.5-3 inches tall, but that depends a lot on the pattern or number of stiches and rounds.

Where would one get a hook size 0.1? The smallest Ihave is 0.4 and that is pretty hard to find (Tedsfrom Threads has them).

White City, Oregon

Hook size 0.1 ...dunno, I think that is an european size number..??? I also think they are steel chrochet hooks.I got a bunch of older hooks at the second hand store real cheap. like >245 cents each...what a steal. I also pick up all sorts of yarn at the local Goodwill...
Hmmm, I saw somewhere on the net a chart for interchagable yarns and hook sizes, it had the european. canadioan. USA ...Winney

Thanks, Winney, for the nice compliment. I used pearl cotton on his foot pads. The bear I'm working on now, I used ultrasuede on his footpads. Hopefully I'll get him done soon!

Okay, here's some of what I use.

Angora yarn (unsplit) size 6. I'm not sure of the metric equivalent for that one. A size 7 is 1.65mm, so a little bigger than that. That's what I used in my avatar bear and I think he was about 3 1/2" or so.

Angora yarn (split-using 1 ply) size 12. I'm thinking that's probably the same as a 1.00mm and produces bears about 2", give or take.

The smallest hook I own is a 14/.075mm. I don't use that one too much. It's really too small for any threads or yarns I have. I have used that hook to make some dollhouse-sized doilies using a single-ply of embroidery thread. That's enough to make me go blind!

I have have some lace-weight cashmere which in size compares to pearl cotton #5, so I use a 12 hook for that too.

I usually do a practice run using different hooks, and use the smallest one possible without it being to difficult to grab the threads.

Oh, I have used punch thread once and I believe I used a 12 for that too.

I bought some other threads but haven't tried them out yet. They are made by Rainbow Gallery and are used for cross-stitch or embroidery. I bought some fuzzy looking stuff, actually now that I think about it, I think it is mohair. Anyway this company has tons of cool threads but they come on small cards and aren't real cheap, so I don't know how much it would take to make a bear and if it would be worth the cost. I guess I really should try it out. It's been in my drawer for months...after I looked so hard to find the darn stuff!!

White City, Oregon

Great Sandy...I do a practice run on the hook too...as I want small enough holes but still need to pull those stitches thru too.
It would be fun to try that silky looking em. thread...you kmnow the kind that is used for satin emb. bullion roses...mmmm.pretty...would make pretty little hats...thanks for sharing ...

I must have your bear,,,he keeps staring at me asking me " I can come over IF you have some gingerbread cookies lying around..... Winney

Aww...little Rusty lives in Australia now. I was pretty proud of him. He was the first of my bears to travel internationally.

Yes, I've thought of the silk embroidery thread too. I think they would probably makes very nices hats or little crocheted flower embellishments.

So, exactly, how many bears do you have lying around waiting to be put together?  bear_tongue  I'd love to see some pics!

White City, Oregon

LOL....about 10. I have one pale blue one that I had to use white baby yarn with. The yarn is a novel sort that resembles fuzzy mohair, is comperable to sport yarn ..... its hard to pull the stitches thru when worked alone... I cant see what the heck I am doing either.

its nearly impossible to pull any stitches back out if you make a mistake...so thus I worked baby yarn with it..the .problem now is ...the holes are too big....I may take it apart and soak it in some liquid softner then re work ???....

Anyway, must start putting these little guys together. I have been sick a lot these last 2 months so crocheting is perfect , I can pick up or put down easily and dont have to run around looking for tools, materials as I usually do when making fabric bears...... Winney

Yes, I now what you mean about not seeing what you're doing. I had to toss a foot in the garbage the other day. Somewhere I messed up and I tried to take it apart. After the first few stitches are taken out, the hairs get really tangled and then just forget it. It's easier to start over!

White City, Oregon

I have a gray mixed angora sweater I got at the 2nd hand store..I am going to try Dilus treatment of soaking and squishing fabric softner ( or she used hair conditioner?) thu it  and while it is still wet ....pull the thread and wind as I go onto a   ahem! Toliet paper roll...my idea there.

This may get messy but I love to dive into the mud when I am experimenting...he, he.... Winney

Sounds like a great idea! I have a couple sweaters in my closet I've thought about pulling apart!  bear_grin

I have no clue how to make a yarn ball, so when I separate the plies of my yarn...they get wound on toilet paper rolls!  bear_thumb

White City, Oregon

Hey Dilu !..Are you there ?..Can you share with us how this might best be done,...any tips ?...
I think I will cut the sweater in" parts " first..like sleeves, back and front...then do each piece one at a time....I dont know if Dilu rinses the softner out later or not...Winney

Board footer