Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Okay.This is just an extension of the "favorite thread one but I really need some advice.I discovered to my horror(blessings to Hayley bear_original )that my dental floss was all wrong.I read good things about gutermann which I already use for all my hand stitching but find it is not strong enough for closing my head or sinking eyes.I will look into the artificial sinew but need something right now to finish my bear.
  Here's what I was able to find....(1)an upholstery thread by coats that is nylon but heavier than my usual gutermann which is polyester.
   (2) a monofilament(heavier than invisible thread) used for beading
   (3)  a heavy waxed cord(seems to be 4 stands together) made by Darice and also in the beading section.

okay,now bombard me with your advice and suggestions please!;) I'm ready for all the help I can get and in case you missed the great advice that I got,the dental floss is bad,bad,bad!Thanks so much for all your help.

Hugs and big fat bear blessings,Shari.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I would go with the Coats & Clarks upholstery thread.  It is definitely strong enough to close your bear head, and if you double the thread, it should work for setting the eyes, too!  Good, good, luck! bear_laugh bear_laugh

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Hi Shari,
As I said before, I use the Gutermann thread for all my bears which I hand sew and I have never had a problem closing the neck and sinking the eyes. Has anyone else had a problem with Gutermann threads whilst doing this part of the bear? I would hate to think an eye may pop out at some time in the future.
Jane.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

I've only used fishing line and artificial sinew. Both unbreakable, even by me. :/

The artificial sinew can be separated into narrower strands, if you need them, and has a nice "grab"--not exactly sticky, but not exactly not.

Fishing line is cheaper and easier to find--Walmart, etc. It's stiffer than sinew or thread, which means that the ends seem to have minds of their own, but it sews and knots well.

Eileen

Board footer