Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

soybear.jpgAn unusual new product: SoySilk Pals. Joe Raffino says they started working with alternate fibers about five years ago. By alternate, I mean yarn made from bamboo and soy. Their yarn is now sold in needlework stores around the world. Joe told me they’ll be introducing a yarn made from shrimp shells soon. Apparently it’s an age-old thing that they’ve been able to adapt to modern uses.

Their new project is teddy bears and bunnies made from soy plush. I am not clear on how the soy turns into yarn, let alone into plush. But it’s a nice creamy color and soft to the touch. Jonelle Raffino spoke passionately about the need for renewable materials that are Earth friendly and aren’t based on petroleum products. Apparently the soy fabric is just such a product, plus it’s got anti-bacterial properties and is nice and soft.

Right now they have bears and bunnies in a couple of sizes. They’ll soon be introducing colored fabrics, plus additional designs such as a seal, cat, monkey, and penguin. Kellie and I spotted Ron Block of Edinburgh Imports in the booth, so perhaps the fabric will be getting wider distribution in our circles soon.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh wow!  That is so interesting...thatnk you for sharing this info!

dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Well I enjoy a soy latte almost every day I can manage one, so why not a soy bear?  Sounds yummy!

PS  Mindy... I really like your quote a lot!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Wow - soy bears . . . I'm FOR it!  I love anything renewable or recyclable - guess you could call me a tree hugger!
Thanks much, Mindy, for letting us be in on this amazing process!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Thanks Mindy that is so interesting. I have no idea how they could ever produce fabrics like that. I wouls love to see the finished product.

hugs Jane.  bear_flower

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

I think this is fabulous.  Soy is being used for so many things now, I even saw a car the other night on the news that is to run on soy. 
I love soy milk and roasted soy beans !!!  bear_grin  bear_grin
What a great idea and so earth friendly.
What did the bears feel like Mindy?  You said it was soft, but was it slick like a synthetic or more like a cotton or natural product.  I wonder what they have to put in with it, to make it a plush.

Very interesting, thanks Mindy.

:hug:
Nancy

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Soy sounds good, but I'm waiting for the shrimp-shell fabric!

Eileen

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

How very interesting about the Soy Bears.
I am like SueAnn, to be able to recycle and make the Earth a much better place is great.
We will have to look out for this yarn.

Lancaster PA

You asked what they feel like: Soft. Honestly, not as super soft as some of the new plushes for baby products. But still, soft and comfy. It's kind of feathery. It reminded me of alpaca in a way, though it's not at all similar. I guess it's hard to describe.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

It's so interesting !! soy & bamboo and yarn made from shrimp shells !? amazing !  bear_grin

Thank you for the pics , Mindy.

Marie

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I'm intrigued with the shrimp shell yarn  ....  truly curious to see what they make, and how do they get rid of the shrimpy smell?   bear_whistle   I've got lotsa shells to donate if they'd like 'em  bear_flower

Lancaster PA

I really don't know how they get from the raw materials to the yarn and plush. Joe said that shrimp shells (and one other crustacian shell--maybe crab) are a natural source of polymer and have been used to make plastics for thousands of years. Now they've figured out how to spin it into a fiber. There are billions of tons of waste shells from the seafood industry, so the supplies for making it are cheap, at least! Their business card doesn't list a web address, but try "soysilk.com" and see what happens.

Mindy

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Very interesting and they look very soft.

Board footer