Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I've learned that not all air compressors are the same.... there is one out there that has an automatic on/off so that it only comes on when air is demanded... I'm thinking that means when you push the button or whatever on the handle/nozzle to actually paint. (Can you tell I haven't a clue what I'm talking about?!)

So, is that a desireable feature or would you end up having to do a few practice strokes on a scrap to be sure the air is there and creating the desired effect?

I'm ready to purchase an airbrush but want to get the right compressor. With a dog who goes bezerk over every little noise and literally has a nervous break down over it, I want to get the quietest one possible and liked the idea of one that wasn't constantly running. But don't want to get the wrong thing.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I know, Judi is the expert  bear_grin , but I can't MAKE her log on here and answer my questions (darn it!)... so until she pops on I welcome any suggestions!!!

:hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Try e-mailing her, Daphne.  :hug:  :hug:

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Daphne,

I have an airbrush and no compressor... If she PMs you, could I talk you into PMing me and letting me know... pretty please?  :pray:   bear_wub  :pray:  bear_whistle

Kimberly W.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann, I did... this morning!
Kimberly, I will but I bet she'll post right here!!

Judi, I really hope you've had a great day! Come play with us now, please???

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I know you girls are looking to Judi for your answer.  Hope you don't mind if I put my two cents in.....for what it's worth.  I use an Iwata, Studio Series.  It's small, quiet, cycles on and off and works like a dream.  It was recommended to me by an artist who air brushes for a living.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Aleta, you silly bear! Your 2 cents is worth millions!!! Thank you!
That's exactly the kind of compressor I was looking at today!
Things that work like a dream get big points with me!
Thank you!! :hug:

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Daphne,
Judi uses a CO2 cylinder and is a diehard fan. bear_grin  They are noiseless..and useless to those of us on the other side of the pond bear_tongue .cos they are cost prohibitive. But where you are...well worth looking at.
I went on to get an air compressor...just an el cheapo from the hardware. No complaints here. They are atrociously noisy when filling and my dog takes a hike every time I move towards the thing. :twisted:  The way they work is.....they make a heck of a noise as they are filling with pressure...say 2 or 3 minutes, then they switch off and you can use the pressure. If you don't run it out, that pressure will still be there a wekk later. I can run my airbrush for about ten minutes or sometimes more on the amount of air in that tank. When the air is almost gone, it switches itself back on again and refills. This bit can give you (and your dog  :twisted: ) a fright if you aren't expecting it, but once mine fills, I unplug the power as the air still comes out the same without it being plugged in. I usually only need to fill mine once per bear. It depends too what pressure it's set at as to how long before it empties. I think Judi recommends airbrushing around 32-35 pounds, which is where I set my regulator at. If it was higher...the air would run out much faster. The air comes out beautifully smooth...it just slows down as it's almost ready to switch on again.
Hope this is remotely helpful. bear_wacko

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Iwata, Studio Series Are these expensive??? Where can you find one?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi.  Just the subject I love...airbrushing.

You're right, Daphne, not all air compressors are created equal.  The kind you are describing turns on to fill an air chamber.  When that chamber reaches a certain amount of compressed air, it shuts off.  As you use your airbrush, hence using the compressed air, it turns on to maintain a certain level of useable compressed air.

If noise is a factor then I would go for a very quiet one.  There is a whole range of sizes and prices out there. When I went to school for airbrush art they used a huge aircompressor but it was kept in a different room with the airlines connected to our work desks.   I'll post some websites shortly on where you can look inot the various aircompressors..... But first I want to tell you what I use:

Like Hayley mentioned, I use a large CO2 tank.  I have used one for over 22 years now.  It is very tried and true for me, absolutely silent and no water trap needed.  CO2 is a no toxic element that comes in a liquid form in a large cylinder.  As with an aircompressor a pressure gauge is necessary so I can see how full the tank is and I can adjust the pressure at which I run my airbrush ( around 28psi or pounds per square inch). My 20 pound tank lasts for more than a year, then I have to refill it for about $15.00 at a welding supplier.

Airbrushing is a pure joy and there is no other method of color application out there where you can achieve the same results. It is soft and I can airbrush on any type of mohair and it is undetectable to the touch that there is any paint at all.

I will be happy to help you in any way I can.

nettie scotland
Website

I am no expert I have an air compressor which is quite quiet.I have four dogs and it doesn't even wake them up.It has no makers name just made in Taiwan.It Hooks up to a copic adapter and has an off and on switch.iT COST APPROX $250 FROM WWW.CHRISTIE-BEARS.CO.UK.  oops didn't mean to shout!!!
Diane xxx

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Judi, can you use air brushing on real fur??

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, Judi.... on shaggy felt... will I get full coverage on the areas airbrushed so when the bunny is on a 43 foot movie screen it doesn't look at all splotchy? (Some fo that may depend on my skills, I realize... but just wondered if the material would be a challenge in some way??

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Of course, the C02 tank.... you did mention that in a discussion previously. I'm sorry to make you repeat yourself. Sounds like the cheapest and most quiet option. Duh!  :doh:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne. How shaggy is the felt.?.   You should be able to do it without looking blotchy if you do it in light layers.  Don't try to get the entire effect in one sweep. ..call me....I'll PM my phone number.

Deb, yes you can airbrush real fur.

Ft. Bragg, NC

OK, I went and bought one.  Badger, $289 but 40% off with that nifty Michael's coupon!  It's pretty quiet (I really don't like loud things, and it doesn't bother me) and it has an automatic shut off.  It only turns on when you push down the airbrush lever.

Have yet to use it... been sitting on here too long!!!!!! ha!

Kimberly W.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OOOOHHH  I WANT ONE!!! I was waiting to figure out which one to get and then go to ACMoore or Michaels with my handy dandy coupon! I was waiting for at 50% off one though...

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

SP_SergeiRESZ.jpgknitties-021.jpgDeb, Here is a photo of a mink bear I airbrushed a few years ago.

I know many of you have already seen this Tiger, but for the sake of anyone who has not,  I want to show what extensive airbrushing looks like on mohair.

It is much much easier to airbrush on a lighter color rather than trying to lighten a darker color.  It can be done....it's just that the end results will look nicer if you start with a  lighter color........gottta runnnnnn my daughter has dance class.......

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: Judi thank you so much for sharing!!!  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

You mean rather than sitting here on the computer half of last night and all of this morning researching airbrushes and all I could have just driven to Michael's? They sell them?? (OK, it's an hour drive one way but still would have saved me time and confussion!!!) Maybe they'll have paint I can use......

I was looking at Createx brand acrylics online..... but they have so many different types: translucent, opaque........... which kind???

I hate living out here in woods but I guess tomorrow I'm going to get in the car, go to civilization and see what I can find.  :dance:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Michael's does sell them I saw them there a while back.. they also have the airbrush paints in that section too.. they are in the section of my Michael's where the professional artist supplies are (paints, paint brushes, etc.)  They are in a locked glass case...

Ft. Bragg, NC

Hi Daphne and Kim Bee.  I already did my homework.  those paints that are in the case can't be used on fabric/don't work with fabric. 

Just for reference, obviously... the more expensive one is far better than the less expensive one, if you want more info, PM or email me; I'll get with you tomorrow.  But WAIT FOR THE COUPON!  It's 40% off with it, which will save you over $100!  Even if you don't get the paper, wait for the week it prints, and tell the cashier you didn't get one in your paper.  They have to honor it (they'll get your zip code). 

I have been taking my personal refresher course at home with watered down acrylics.... So far it feels just lovely on the scrap fur!  Judi, please feel free to jump in anytime and tell me if I'm wrong for using 1/2 acrylic paint and 1/2 water....  Isn't that just like shading with acrylics and a paintbrush?  I haven't actually applied the technique to a bear, just practicing so far....

Kimberly W.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So what brand are you using, Kimberly?
I wanted to use Createx but am not sure where to buy them other than online.

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Daphne..I know judi uses and swears by the Createx paints. Maybe you should just make all 50,000 bunnies and ship 'em all to Judi to airbrush!  bear_laugh  bear_tongue

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think Judi recommends Liquitex and then diluting.... I think that was it... I was going to use the liquitex when I bought my airbrush.. it is in the isle with the paints... wait for it to go on sale, it is on sale ALL THE TIME!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Okay ..Paints. 

Deb, I am not sure what you mean about the paints you saw at Michaels crafts that are not for fabrics.  Any acrylic piants will work.  The KEY is getting it to the correct viscosity(thickness/thinness) so it will properly flow through thte airbrush.

Createx is a good brand.  Most of hwat they carry is translucent.  For what you need, Daphne, these woul be very easy to use.

My favorite paints are Liqutexx concentrate and Golden Brand acrylics.  I would completely stay away from "craft" paints.  The proper artist paints are a much higher quality and will perform and look better.  Even though Createx paints read on the botttle that they are "airbrush ready" meaning no need to dilute...I ALWAYS dilute.

Watering down the paints:  Deb mentioned a 1:1 ratio with water.  This depends on the thickness of your paint.  If you are using artist paints from a tube they will need more like a 1:2 ratio of paint to water.  If your paint is too thick it will not flow smoothly.  It can clog and sputter, and of course this is not what you want.

Board footer