Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

lulubears Posts: 280

I picked up a bear for repair today and was wondering what direction others take with bears like this.  He is from the 30's, is about 2 feet tall and is mohair.  He is a wonderful old bear (or will be), but hasn't been taken real good care of.  I can sew all the seams back up, replace his eyes, and nose, and put his ears back on with no problem.  I just don't think he will be the same, however, if I replace the mohair that has become completely bald.  One arm is completely bald, the other is bald on the back, half his face is missing most of the fur, and the back of one leg is missing the majority of the fur.  He is also missing fur on the front and back of the body, but is still just so full of charm, it's unbelievable!  If he were mine, I would do only the necessary repairs and leave him alone, which is what I suggested to the customer.  I told her I could match the mohair and replace all the body parts to make him look completely new if she really didn't like him when I return him with only the necessary repairs.  She has no intentions of selling him, so I wasn't sure that a complete restoration really was necessary.  Any opinions?  Hugs, Luann

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I would not replace mohair. I did one for a lady of the same era. It had hardly any mohair left at all. I repaired any tears in the backing, replaced pads by sewing over the originals, but leaving the originals in place and gave him a cute vintage jacket to wear for protection.
Sonya

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I agree with Sonya.  Don't replace the bald mohair.  Just patch up the backing, check the stitching on the ears, give new pads over the old ones.  But the first thing is to get rid of the bugs that have eaten it or are eating it.  You don't want them in your new bears or mohair!!!!!!!!
Donna

Board footer