Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Great advice, Heather! Thanks--

As I was posting my last, I was thinking to myself that I'd really much rather find an online source and pay the postage. You're right about Lewiscraft's prices. I think their target customer is the occasional crafter/dabbler.

And then it occurred to me also that for the price of a TTC ticket to Lewiscraft, I could also get to Curry's, a reasonably priced Art Supply store. I bought my last block of Sculpey there, and they also carry Fimo . . . probably the liquids and glazes too.

Nothing like a decent short-term memory!  bear_wacko

Eileen

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Now I remember why I blocked the memory of Curry's.

The last time I was there, some spotty youth said to me "Your shoelace is untied, Dude". Dude? Me? My ego dragged on the floor for a solid hour after that!

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Eileen.... please let me say that I am on the floor about the "dude" thing.... and let me reassure you that the "dude" thing has absolutely NOTHING to do with how the probably 20 something person viewed your gender or attractiveness or ANYTHING!  There is a whole segment of tthe younger population who uses this expression to refer to everyone!  I think it's the funniest thing in the world.  My 13 year old and I were in Guitar World (music shop) the other day.  My son was admiring a 500.00 bass guitar, and the salesperson came up and said, "Dude, you wanna try that one? Dude, it's a great bass, with fantastic pickups... Dude... dude...."  On and one.  When we finally checkout at the register to buy the bass strings that we came for... a different salesguy said to my son..... "Dude, is that your mother?  And then he said "Thanks, Dude!" to me when I handed him the signed credit card receipt.  I SOOOO desperately wanted to say, "No problem, Dude," but bit my tounge to avoid embarassing my son!  My son says that I don't say it right!  It has to be said with this sort of laid back, stoner type accent, or you aren't really saying it right!  bear_grin  I think it's kind of a psuedo Californian/ skater/surfboarder type thing Eileen..... No need to drag that ego at all!!!!!!   :hug:  bear_wub

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Dude is not a bad thing!  At our house it is Dog.  I think I would rather be a Dude than a Dog!
Donna

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Thanks for the ego boost, Kim and Donna! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I've only got daughters, so I don't understand these mysteries. My sons in law are too old for the 'dude' thing. Anyway, you've both made me feel a lot better!

As I hear it, the word is usually pronounced with sort of explosive Ds--'dewd'. I've never heard 'Dog' bear_laugh

Eileen

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Yes... that's just it Eileen... an explosive 'd' sound at the beginning, and the rest is this sort of garbled 'ewd.'  I belive that there was a movie not too long ago called, "Dude, Where's my Car?" that has perpetuated the whole dude thing.... starting the child-husband of Demi Moore!

I like to say, "Dude, what's your homework?" when I greet my son at the front door! He HATES it!

Kim Basta
Wild thyme Originals

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh Dreadful Mom that I am, I'd be inclined to 'motivate' him by threatening to say 'Dude' in public.  bear_laugh

When ours were little, my Hubs used to keep them in line by threatening to dance in public. When they were teens, I let them know that if they were late and didn't call, I'd start phoning their friends. There's nothing like the prospect of embarrassing parental behavior in public to shape up the little dudes!

Eileen

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Ha ha ha ha, where has this post GONE?!?!?!?  Dudes, you so totally need to get back on subject! ha!

Yes, you almost have to slur it, dude...  Not too far back in my past.  the girl that just started working with me says it.  Dude is just another way of referring to 'you', no matter what the gender!  And it's completely not meant to be derrogatory!

Wow... so now I want to go make an open mouthed bear with a tongue...... dude, that'd be so cool!  Oh, yeah!  Dude can also mean something along the lines of 'wow'.  Like, "Wow! You bought a new briefcase!"  "Dude!  You got a new bong!"  ha ha ha

Kimberly W.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Thanks Kimberly--Now we're back on track!  bear_laugh

Eileen

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Ha ha, yeah I'll bet we are! lol  bear_wacko  bear_laugh

Kimberly W.

Pages:

Board footer