Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Twisted Whiskers Singapore

I've always fantasied of being a full-time artist, when the daily jobs and work politics gets too much!  Unfortuantely, my bears and friends don't sell too well and I've got debts to pay. 

What's your day like as a full-time bear artist?

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

I hear ya girl! My day is full of fur - fur and more fur! Between my pets and my bears I am up to my nose in fur.  bear_grin   bear_grin  just kidding - my house is free of fur. Just got to love it thro. I think I am very lucky that I can work from home. Besides my bears I also paint and it keeps me busy. 
Depts? What's that?  bear_whistle  My husband also works from home, he is a hatter. For all of you that does not know what a hatter is. He makes custom made hats - like they use to make in the 1800s. It is really cool. Also known as the Mad Hatter.  bear_grin   
So friends call him - and me too!  bear_grin actually I started it.   

Hang in there hon.

Big hugs
Kassity

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Yeah, I only wish I could make as much from working at home as I do my real job. But I would have to sell lots of great bears every month, and at the rate i make them...........

But I can only wish right?

Kassity, sounds like you and your hubby have some interesting jobs. A hatter eh? How cool. You never think of jobs like that in high school when you are deciding what to do.

My goal is to work a real job part-time for security benifits etc. then bearmaking/art the other part of the day.
We'll see, I still have to pick out a company name!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I am not a full time teddy bear artist....and it's not even in my head to be one really...but ...on 4 days a week...(I work elsewhere on 2 other days and take Mondays off with my daughter).I guess I make teddies most of the time.

Ideally I start at about 8.30am ...having done my emails and looked at Teddy talk.

I try to plan the week ahead according to what I need to do...for example this week I have finished off an order of 5 bears on Tuesday and Wednesday, yesterday afternoon I drew up 5 bears ready for my Mum to cut out. I designed new legs yesterday too. On Sunday I was working on the order that I finished yesterday..and today I will be machining parts all day...as I have another fair coming up.

Sunday I plan to make a playing day, I took delivery of some 'stuff' I have ordered and have an idea which I am obsessing about so won't be able to rest till I've done it.

Each day I work till about 5pm...then start again till about 9pm. I have to make myself do it as I easily go off the boil. My kids are grown up...married and stuff so my time is my own.

I find it inspirational and am happy about it... but it's occasionally thoroughly depressing..and it's easy to get paranoid and end up bouncing off the walls...and it's  lonely as hell and I would hate it if I thought I didn't have the salon as my place for working with and talking to real people. I am envious of those who can just throw themselves into it 100%...but I'm afraid I can't do that.

Ideally I'd like to make just one bear per week..and play around for 2 days and work in the salon for 2 days..that's my goal!!!!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Crickey Jenny that IS full time, its your hairdressing thats part time. I know what you mean though, you need that release valve. Working to orders and commissions is sooo different to doing what YOU want.

I go the gym three times a week and have slimming class on wednesday morning and evening to run. Today I do paperwork until lunch then I can start on my bears at teatime. I would say I do five hours every week day except wednesday. I  would like it to get a bit busier, I would like to move house in the future and that involves more money! There will also be accounts to be prepared soon, I like to get them in about late April, then they are out of the way. How I hate doing accounts!

I think making that jump from part time/paying hobby to business is very different. It does'nt just involve making more bears, its the creative side. It can go from getting a buzz out of it to being a huge chore. You sound like you have the balance right Jenny. Years ago I got to the 'chore' stage and stopped doing it. I hope that does'nt happen and I think having this forum helps. Loads of inspiaration when you just need it. Thanks!

Right back to paperwork. bear_angry

Oregon

hey ya Heather  bear_original   

You never think of jobs like that in high school when you are deciding what to do.

too funny 
Ya, he didn't think that either.  bear_grin He saids it kinda fell in his lap after breaking his neck in the rodeo. Now he is fine girls. He walks - talks - rides horses - now if I can only get him to pick up his shocks.   bear_rolleyes  just kidding  :hug:   

Wow Jenny you are so organized, I am lucky if I don't end up all over the house.  bear_grin  I get so busy I just get up and jump right into what ever needs has to be done. 
hmmm ???? I should get a daily planner. Or you could just come and live with me.  bear_flower    bear_grin  bear_grin

I sorry dear

it's  lonely as hell

:hug:  :hug:   
You got all of us!  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  :hug:  :hug:   
I am lucky my hubby and I work from home together. But I feel what you are saying. I lived alone before my husband for seven years on a 180 acre ranch in Alberta a place called Two hills. My nearest neighbor was two miles away or so. I would tell you I really liked living on my own, you may think I am nuts....shhhh - but I did.  bear_whistle

Just remember we are all here!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:

Big Hugs
Kassie

Oregon

p.s I am looking over at the avatars and I just noticed .... I still have my Valentine avatar up .......how silly of me. I better get cracken with the great new avatars around I need to change this......... :redface:  bear_grin  bear_grin

kassie  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Kassie...I am not that organised really...otherwise I wouldn't be reading this now!! I just know that if I don't just 'get on with it' I won't do anything.

Amanda...I know it's full-time really but because hairdressing is in my blood I see myself as a hairdresser first...I always say to my clients....when I cut myself I bleed peroxide ...so till I see myself as a bear maker first I'll always look on it as a hobby!!! A hobby that's taken over my life...and my house!!

I wish I didn't have any orders and that I could just follow where the fancy takes me...and this is what I intend to do, because some days it feels like I might as well have 5 clients sitting in the salon with foils in their hair  ..because I am on auto-pilot doing bears to catch up with what I didn't do last year because I was ( still am) suffering from vertigo. Sometimes I want to draw a line under it and say, I am not doing these bears that you ordered...but then I am cutting off my nose to spite my face.  I am on the home run now and by the end of May I'll be at the end of all the orders...and then I can do what I want to do...all the ideas that are swimming around in my head waiting to come to fruition!!!!! So I won't take any more orders from now on..and I'll just follow my nose to where my creativity leads me!!

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

As a person who does not work outside the home on a regular basis......I could do more bears than what I do, but I get on the computer and forget the time. Basically, my day starts at 6:30 when I get up, get breakfast and turn on the computer. After checking email, I check out TT, then play some solitaire until about 8:30 when my dog & I go for a walk (unless it is raining or too cold)

About 9:30 I start on the bears until 11:30 when we go to the Post Office for the mail. Then I get lunch and check the computer again. My hubby gets home around 3:30, so I make sure that I am working when he comes home.

I sew all my bears on the machine upstairs, then stuff and finish downstairs, so every night I have a pile of bears that need eyes, ears, noses, stuffing, putting together........so my 'spot' in the living room is piled high.....Hubby doesn't say too much, but I know he gets frustrated with the mess.

And talk about fur.......between the bears, dog.......my vaccuum gets clogged with fur (of course, that only comes out about every 2 weeks!) Especially if I have a Rabbit Fur coat to work with!

Being at home all day, is very lonely. Something hubby doesn't understand. So, if I get a call or someone wants to meet for breakfast or lunch......I am OUT OF HERE!
We moved here 6 years ago, so I have no friends locally, and not working, makes sociallizing difficult. BUT! I love my bears and creating all of my critters. (they all do talk to me, which scares hubby big time! )  bear_grin  bear_tongue  bear_laugh

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

My hubby gets home around 3:30, so I make sure that I am working when he comes home

bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

I work Monday through Thursday, with Fridays off.  My husband gets home around 4:00 and I do the same thing, make sure I am working the bear I am making for my sister, or cleaning something.

:hug:
Laurie

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I have been a full time work at home artist for 8 yrs.
It is fun to do what you love!  Now I work between my barbies and the bears.
It is the barbie money that makes it all possible!
My hubby works full time so that helps, some months are good and some are slow.
Some days I may work 12 hours or more.
You seem to over work when it is all right here in front of you!
But I love it!

nettie scotland
Website

I've been full time bearmaking for almost ten years now.I started when I seperated from my daughters father.I decided if she was going to have one parent I would be a very good one and stay home.We have had scary times when we were very poor.We get no financial help from my ex and it has been hard going a lot of the time.I asked her recentley if she felt like she had missed out on holidays etc but she says she looks back on a very happy childhood so it has been worthwhile.I work at least eight hours a day mostly six days a week and try to have some time off at the weekend.In the summer I get up at 4.30 so I can fit it all in.
I say God bless America a lot as the lovely citizens from the u.s have paid the mortgage for many years with some help from Canada ,Australia,France ,Japan,Denmark,Ireland and lastly and leastly (if thats a word) Britain.
I still enjoy it and have to say TT has helped keep me going for the short time I have been a member.
I think it would be a lot easier if there was still  a husband and a second income to take the pressure off.Maybe I will meet a mad hatter of my own haha.Not that I am looking I think I am set in my ways and do not mind being alone a lot.Maybe one day though..
I am very lucky to do something I love and be able to live in the country with all my dogs .

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well, right out of Higschool I went to school for fine art and airbrushing.  AFter receiving two certficates I worked at General Motors in one of thier Art Departments.

Now I am  a Registered Nurse and eventhoughI am currently liscenced, I am a stay at home mother of three, 14, 8, 3 (girl, girl, boy aka..tornado)  My days are completely full.  I love staying at home working full time as a mother and artsit.  It is very rewrading and satisfying to work at my opwn pace.  My hubby also works here...but outside on our Dairy Farm. We're a very busy family as you will soon find out bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle

Since I don't have to support myself with bear money it takes all the pressure and stress out of being a full time artist.  The only stress I feel in bear art is when I am working on custom orders. bear_sad   It inhibits creativity for me and I like to work on that which my heart leads me to...not what someone else wants me to do.

It really is a wonderful world to be involved with soft sculpture art and to be able to use my airbrush skills.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

I'm a full time bear artist.  Each day is different for me.  I don't have a set schedule.  I work from a list of "things to do".  Some days I end up working 16 hours or more.  I work when my husband works and I take time off when he takes time off. Amazingly enough, we like to do the same things and still enjoy each others company after 25 years.   bear_original  Our children are grown so we're both able to work when we want to, eat when we want to, and play when we want to.  We are blessed to have a very good life.   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I am "supposed" to be a full time bear artist.  When I first quit my job (2002) to stay at home I made many more bears than I do now  :redface: .  As time has gone by I find I get distracted VERY easily..... usually housework or... most of the time... computer stuff. 

Since we have just moved I am finding a very hard time finding a routine and sticking to it.  But I really must because mentally I think I am most happy when I am in a routine.

Oh, and I have a LOT of regard for you artists who are really supporting yourselves!! bear_flower   I am able to do this only because of my husband  :hug:

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I have tons of time for bear-making. The sad part is that I don't make a lot of bears. I have very little self-discipline and it can be really aggravating sometimes. Come late afternoon, I look back on my day and cannot figure what I did with all my time! I seriously need to get a "things-to-do" list or a schedule and stick to it. Does anyone want to be my boss?! I need someone to answer to!!  bear_laugh

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I have always worked at some art form or another, to help supplement our income.  My money has always paid for the little "extras", which I find is a nice feeling.  My kids are grown and gone and I try to define my day in specific areas.  I work on my bears about 4 hours in the afternoon and again in the evening, often after hubby has gone to bed.  I am a night owl and am always up until at least 3:00 a.m.  So under regular circumstances, I put about 6-7 hours a day sewing bears.  You'd never know it from how slow I am LOL!.  I do find it harder in the summer, with all the extra outside garden chores.  Can't wait for the house to sell and move closer to our grandson (which I'm sure will cut into my bearmaking hours)! 

Hugs,

Brenda

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

I was layed off from Imperial Oil in 2002 after 17 years, as they ceased to do business as a salary based operation.  Imperial Oil offered an employment course which made me realize that I wanted to start my own business.

I am a fairly new teddy bear artist,  I opened my Teddy Bear business in 2004 after going through a Self Employment Program.   I am also lucky that my husband works full time and is my bigest supporter and fan.  It has worked out that I mainly create memory bears from clients fur coats.  I love the creativity of bears for sale online or in stores when I can fit them in. 

There are definately alot of distractions when you work from home and it is difficult to keep yourself motivated.  I also feel sometimes that some people feel that I do not have a legitimate business.  Not long ago I was offered a part-time job and it was mentioned that I might like to come back for part time as I am probably "bored" at home.  Needless to say that their attitudes and what they were offering was not what I wanted.  One self-employed friend said that his pet peeve is when a friend calls him at home during the day and says "What you up too" and he wants to scream "I'M WORKING".

I also love Teddy Bears, love what I am doing.  Teddy Talk and all of you definately help with the isolation of working out of the house.  I do feel connected by just by signing on to Teddy Talk.  Thank you.

A little off this topic.  Does anyone advertise?  My business has been generated from an article in a local paper and by word of mouth, but, I think very soon I will have to advertise.

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

I too am supposed to be a full time bear artist. Since not being able to work or drive 5 years ago I must say I do not miss my job as a Human Resouce Manager for a large Canadian bank.

I love making bears but could never depend on them for an income. Garnet has that responsiblity. Like Aleta we get alone great and enjoy eachothers company and he loves making bears but just does not have the timethese days. We have been married over 32 years and still like each other go figure? I married him when I was a baby and I guess that is why we are best of friends as we grew up together.

Hugs Louise

Board footer