Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi everyone, having seen some black bears in the wild on a recent trip to Canada I would love to design a more realistic bear.  I would like to use a thick fluffy faux fur but am not sure where I can find this.  I have seen a few on Ebay in America but postage gets high sending to Belgium.  Does anyone know of any suppliers in Europe?  I also worry about the backing being stretchy, will this happen with a knitted backing?

Thanks for any ideas,
Bear Hugs,
Catherine

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Hi Catherine, I can't help you with any suppliers in Europe, but here are the three suppliers I've ordered synthetics from online.  The two 'garment fur suppliers' will have fabrics with a more stretchy back, but I don't think they are too stretchy to make bears out of.  I have sample swatches from both places and the fur is really lovely.  PreFurs carries the Tissavel brand, which I think is a French brand?

Fabulous-Furs: http://www.fabulousfurs.com/search.asp?t=c&c=9

PreFurs: http://www.prefurs.com/10Browse.asp?cat … y+Tissavel

That having been said, I can't answer this question without mentioning that I order most of my synthetics from Edinburgh.  They have a fantastic selection these days and the furs are all really gorgeous.  I've been on a kick of more realistic bears and bunnies, and I can always find suitable faux fur for any project at one of the places mentioned above.

Hope this helps!
Kelly

Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Kelly, thanks so much for your quick reply bear_original  I can't wait to get looking at those sites.  I'm just working on the pattern now so looking forward to getting started.

Catherine

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Hi. there is a company in England that has some lovely faux fur. They have a nice long dark brown tipped one. I have ordered needlefelting supplies as well. My avatar is one of their faux furs.

http://www.pawbears.co.uk

Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Amanda, oh great thanks I had not heard of that company.  Being British myself I had heard of lots of the places but not this one bear_original  I think your avatar chap looks soooo cuddly.  Do you find they work well without stretching too much?

Thanks again,
Catherine

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

It does stretch a little. There is some good advice on tips and techniques under Nap direction by Sewzanne. I really loved using it as it was so soft. I found the company when I froogled needlefelting. They are very quick and don't overcharge for delivery. There is a lovely needlefelted face clown bear kit out soon. Good luck.
Forgot to say I have a Koala under general discussions (new creations) and used Pawbears needlefelting wool, mixed to get the right colours.

Board footer