Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh no, Danni . . . you aren't alone in your admiration of Shelli's ability to write.  She is VERY talented and could have had a successful career in journalism had she chosen to go in that direction!!  At least that's my humble opinion.  bear_laugh

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

Thanks, Kelly bear_laugh and thank your mom!

Eileen

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I love the Panda Kelly,..really cute!

I have been making real fur bears since 1999 and have never had a animal activist contact me.  Everyone has a right to his or her opinion but not the right to sabtoge (sp?)...ei spray painting people wearing fur coats has occured in England by activists.  Not nice.  Or trying to mess with your auctions.  If you are contatced by email you do not need to make excuse for what you do, but i do like Winney's response.

You are not going to please everyone.  There will always be opinionated persons out there.  I guess some people need to feel like they have a cause.  Don't let any nastiness ever stop you from doing what you love.  And if that inculdes real fur, then so be it.  As long as you are not hurting anyone, right?

I did have a lady email me to ask if I killed the lynx myself to make the bears!  aaaahhhh.  It was a fur coat....I explained.

Shelli if you like mink...then cast your hand into alpaca or fox fur.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

First... Thanks, ladies, for the sweet comments on my writing.  I used to be famous, among my close friends, for my annual Christmas letter, but I stopped writing them the year of my divorce because ... well ... that year, there wasn't much happiness to broadcast, and then it seemed like reviving something from the past.  So I've really enjoyed being able to write for Bears N Buds, and also, to post to boards -- especially this one.  These bearmaking forums also help me to utilize my teaching background (that's my graduate degree and I have an entirely un-broken-in elementary school credential still sitting on a shelf awaiting professional application.)  So it's all good.  ;)

Judi... I DO like mink, and will cast my hand at some point soon into those glorious furs you mentioned.  But as a beginner, I thought I'd better start with something that's much thinner and more pliable (I took Nancy's book very much to heart and respect her advice on this stuff), moving up to the thicker, longer pelt types as my experience grows.

I love the look of fox; looked at many, many of them on eBay.  Oddly, the mink -- particularly stoles -- tends to go for far less than the fox furs.  I didn't know anything about fur, or which was the most "prized" or costly, but after watching (and losing!) so many eBay auctions, I'm really getting a feel for it.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

*I did have a lady email me to ask if I killed the lynx myself to make the bears!  aaaahhhh.  It was a fur coat....I explained*

OH MY!!!!! I just finished my first fur teddy - she is made of mink and is just under 6" sitting and just under 8" standing.  I made her nose out of fimo clay that I laquered and I trimmed her muzzle..... I will have to have my hubby take a pic so I can share... working with fur is wonderful and I won't let anyone change my mind about working with it.... I work with whatever gives me inspiration:D

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Can't wwait to see it Kimbee!!!

Board footer