Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

clare14 Country Bears
England

I sometimes find interesting items at my local thrift shops, or bear fayres, or antique fayres, or even from ebay which inspire an idea for a bear.   Do collectors like these accessories with the bears do you think??   Does it make them more interesting??   I'm not just talking garments, I'm on about little chairs, baskets to hold, toys.....  am I making sense!!?  bear_wacko

I've found a lovely item today which has given me inspiration for a new miniature, if he turns out ok, I'll show you when he's finished  bear_grin

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Clare, I use props fairly frequently and I think they have been well received.  The right prop can put that special "finishing touch" on a bear, especially the tiny ones.  Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Hug,

Brenda

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

i would only consider using George Clooney as an accessory......and not for a bear either
bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue

But i suppose............if you are talking about bears i actually love them with little bits and bobs and have quite a few of these in my collection. May fav one being the one i recieved from Anne of Starlite bears as my swap bear. Two little bears in a glass fronted picture box with a bench, pot of gold little hammer and....o blimey loads of things. I must take their piccy and post it here.

But YES Clare - do add little accessories, personally i love em!

Penny - sorry for waffling  :redface:

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I think that would be great, your bears would look so good with them. I'll PM you tomorrow with something I used to do years ago. :hug: You might like to try it.

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

My collectors love all the little pretties I add to my bears.  I think it adds interest and tells a little more of "the story".  I was reminded by Lisa last week of something I used to do when I sold on eBay.  I actually used to write stories about my bears and their fanciful treasures.  I think I should like to do that again. 

I don't think I told Lisa thank you for that reminder.  Thank you, Lisa.   I've gotten away from something I really enjoyed doing.

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

toadbriar ToadBriar
western massachusetts

it's fun to find the thing that fits just right.
& I love seeing what other artists use to accent
their bears. IMO it really gives each bear a 'story'
I love bears with little 'treasures' - you can really
get creative & it is an excuse to try something fun
& different.

Plus it is an excuse to poke around antique & junk shops
& flea markets - like I need an excuse lol

Aleta,  I used to write stories with my auctions too, and I really enjoyed it.  I'd love to do a children's book.  I don't know why I stopped, really - funny isn't it.

Hugs,

Brenda

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Yes, collectors like accessories with their bears - at least this collector does.   bear_original

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Brenda,  bear_flower
You know what?  Come to think of it, I stopped writing soon after a comment was relayed to me by my sister from my brother-in-law.  He said my stories were stupid.  Thinking back, I was the stupid one for letting such a remark stop me from what I loved doing.....writing stories about my beloved bears. 

Perhaps TT is divine intervention......bringing me back to a place I'd forgotten.  Isn't it amazing how the things work?  One step leads to another which sometimes brings you back full circle.....which in turn may be just the beginning.   :)

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Aleta,
     Why is it that we attach such importance to statements like your brother-in-law made?  He probably didn't mean to be so thoughtless -maybe it was an off-handed remark that was never meant to reach you.  I like reading stories with the auctions or on websites, but I love children's books and literature.  So put your writers cap back on and "go Aleta"!

Hugs,

Brenda

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Verrrry interesting topic.

Since most collectors display their bears (as opposed to dragging them everywhere child-style by one leg), I guess it makes a lot of sense to enhance a critter's display potential.

Some of the most appealing/tempting bears and other critters on eBay are the ones with stories and/or props.

I think it's one of the most endearing qualities of bears that each one, even the newest, seems to have a past, a head full of memories, stories and wisdom or, heaven help us, a plan. (Maybe I was thinking of Dilu's Gollies there!) In any case, this is part of what makes them so 'alive'. There's always something going on behind those eyes.

So it makes a lot of sense to me to provide each bear with a bit of context  in the form of costume, or accessories, or story, or all three.

Besides, what could be more fun!

Aleta, you should definitely go for the stories. Your bears have so much soul--I'll bet they have a lot to say!

Eileen

Jane Perala Jane Perala Designs Ltd.
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada

Yes, definately add little bits and pieces.  As some of the other posts said, it adds a sense of "history" to the bear. I think the idea of a story to go along with the bear is great too - that also adds history, and lets the collector know what you, as the artist, were thinking when you made this little creation.
Can't wait to read some of your stories Brenda and Aleta - be sure to let us all know when you next have a bear with one.

I am getting really exited about going around all the garage sales and flea markets in the summer - I don't usually find much, but I sure have fun looking.

Jane P
www.janeperalateddies.com

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Clare, I totally agree that props and stories are wonderful additions to a bear. Lately I have found that finding a good prop or thinking of a little story is the very thing that inspires a new Teddy Bear design. I've been adding props to most of my ebay auction bears...and all of them have found wonderful new homes.
~Kathy Myers

Board footer