Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Did any of you create your own business cards designs.....and if so did you use a computer  and if so is there a good program out there that you can recommend-to a non artist?

Looking for help in all the right places-HERE

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Di . . . I did design and create my card on the computer.  I did it with the same software that I created my brochure with.  This software is years old, but does the job.  I got it at Office Max for under $10.00.  Just browse at any office supply store . . . in person or online . . . and you can find all types of cheapo programs that will fit your needs.  This one I got is called "Brochures" and is put out by Proventure.  Broderbund also has a line of printshop software and you can go online for it.  They have something called Printmaster.  Think their address is www.broderbund.com  Hope you can find something!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I had my business cards designed by my friend Andrea and printed at a print shop on very nice paper.  It cost some money but makes a wonderful presentation and is the one aspect of bearmaking that, even from the outset, I thought merited a little investment.  I enclose a card in every parcel (or two!) and carry them in my purse.  They are what makes your first impression so if you're not sure of your skill level or of your final product, it might be worthwhile to have someone design a card for you and/or print it professionally.

To that end, there is a place online called VistaPrint.  They print cards out very inexpensively and the service is good.  I used them very briefly, until my own cards were finalized and printed, and for the price thought their product looked professional.  You can choose from a variety of templates and create your own business card online, but of course it will lack the personalization and any photos/graphics you might otherwise like to include.  You can also, if you're inspired and skilled, design your own card (I didn't have those skills at the time I placed my order); I know of a bear artist who did this and her cards were very nice indeed!  I saw them in person at Nevada City a year ago.  Last, you can hire the VistaPrint designers (I think) to design something FOR you.  With each of these above-mentioned custom options, the price per card gets a little steeper.  As you might expect.

Find VistaPrint at:

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/default.aspx

Re: brochures, which Sue Ann mentioned, above... I found this very nifty brochure maker site a while back.  It makes your brochure FOR you!  It has some limitations on amount of text and number of pictures but it couldn't be easier to use; I made up a quick try brochure of my own which I printed out on my computer.

Check it out:  http://www.mybrochuremaker.com/brochure-layout-fun.html

PS  Don't let the "themes" templates put you off.  You can change/remove any existing template photos and insert your own personal pictures.  Just pick which layout/color combination appeals to you, and then give it a try!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I used Microsoft Publisher - one of the programs that came with Micrsoft Office on my computer.

Wow 3 great answers and all of them viable for me.  Thanks ladies.

I think it's time.  After all I have a full size golly going to Nigeria!  Now that is really going global-so It is time to get a little more serious.

Thanks alot you guys

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Wow . . . Nigeria!!  I am super impressed!  Way to go, Dilu!!!  bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have used Vista Print, I liked what I got for so little to start with. Shelli, thank's for the brochure site,  I will need to
update my brichures...Winney

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Oh yeah, I used Vista Print at first too... got the free ones. Wish they had more templates to choose from. Perhaps they do now?

Yep Nigeria.....that feels a little weird.  It is one of the 12" girls with a yellow dress and white pinafore.  I wonder how she will go over.

At least she is a good sport about everything.....it really is hard to get a golly down bear_laugh

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Hi Dilu,

I'm like Daphne.  I designed my business cards yesterday and used Publisher.  Great program that one

Danni

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooh, Danni... show us!  I wanna see!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Yes Please Danni I would like to see also.

Jane

Maybe three's the charm.....I want to see too....come on Danni

Dilu

I ended up getting a program from Broderbund.  I figured they have been around, golly, about 20-25 years?  They must have the kinks worked out.  and the program was $9.95-how can you go wrong with that?

When it gets here I guess I'll get started.

Next question, when you print your own what particular brand of cards do you use to print on?

Dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - I use HP business cards - the ones that are so nicely perforated you only have to look at them and they tear away from eachother yet the edges are nice and smooth once separated. They have white, ivory, linen texture and probably a host of others. You can also get ones with pretty designs printed on them. I also buy the office store brand ones at times and those are just as good. Just go and check 'em all out - you might get some creative ideas while you are looking. Be sure they are heavy stock/weight. I find these last longer in people's pockets, wallets, piles on the desk, etc.... and often the ink colors are more vivid as the paper is dense, not porus for the ink to bleed.

just going to check is not in the cards :lol::lol:

I live to far away- so I will find a a site with HP products and take a look....Thanks Daphne.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Another option, Di, is to just print your cards out on cardstock (very heavy weight paper) . . . if you've got any hanging out around the house!  This is how I make my cards.  After printing, I just cut them out using a paper cutter.  It's not quite as efficient as using the perforated stock, but it works for me!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - Sorry - I forgot!:(

Sue Ann - Great solution!

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh gee, I meant to !!!! They aren't that fancy - so I'm just going to let you girls down. But I will do it, I need to print some off, and scan them... but I'll do it!!!

I also use perferated cards - the ones I'm using are by Celcast and are textured.  Very nice!
Danni

Hmm great ideas- bet the card stock is a little cheaper too. 
We have a paper cutter.....

I think I'll try both and see which works best for me and run with it.

Thank you everyone

Dily

Board footer