Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I seem to have been suffering from "bear artist block" until about 20 minutes ago! I just couldn't decide what my next bear would be! So I decided to clean out my supply closet and all those plastic tote boxes full of 'stuff'! Well, I found loads of hidden treasures (which I put there myself I guess tho' I don't remember when!!) Neat hats, a pair of teddy sized snow shoes, fun little trinkets to hang around the neck..... oh, it was so much fun and the ideas just started pouring out! So now I'm off to sew! (Don't tell my 'boss' I'm on the computer right now or I'd be fired!!:lol:)

But I'm curious:

What do you do when you need inspiration for a teddy bear or other critter???

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hmmmm . . . I'm not sure what inspires me. bear_noexpression bear_noexpression  I just know that I need to make the next bear because I have a show coming up or I need to work on an order . . . so I do what I think needs to be done.  From past experience, I know I need to have an open mouth bear, a rooster, and an all fours bear on my table at a show.  Those items usually always sell.  I have none of those in my inventory right now, so my "inspiration" is the San Diego show coming up in three weeks!! bear_shocked bear_shocked bear_original  But, I love the process of creating each teddy/friend and can't wait to see what they look like when done.  So - as long as that is the case, guess I'll keep on keeping on!! bear_laugh

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I get inspired by "meeting" the bears I'm in the process of creating.  The biggest anticipation comes when the head is sewn, turned, and stuffed, and awaiting the placement of facial features.

I'm really inspired by the nose template I just got from Hayley, since it will open up some new horizons for me now that I have a way to "try on" some general sizes and shapes before committing to them.

I also get inspired by particularly interesting or new to me fabrics, like a tiedye or a real fur (my current inspiration to move along with things...!)

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Daphne,

I get inspiration from all over the place.. a lot of my bears come from childhood memories in the countryside... or I just sit out in my garden a while and get inspired ... flowers or views across fields, horses neighing, sun through the trees ... I think of bears out gardening, climbing trees... I guess all the things I like to do!  I guess you can see why I called my bears Bumpkin Bears bear_happy  This probably doesn't help much, but inspiration is such a personal thing I guess...  I loved your story about the old chap and his bear in the car - can't get much more inspiring than that bear_original  Enjoy creating with all the new goodies you re-discovered.

Bear Hugs,
Catherine

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Four things inspire me...

1) Items - ribbons, "accessories," fur collors, etc.
2) When the little critter's head is made, usually it lets me know what to do from there....
3) This board helps a lot - I have had so many "I never thought of that" moments since joining this board (like needle sculpting and toe sculpting... i am still working on toe sculpting... it doesnt seem to look right to me, so as of this point in time, my bears are "toeless"! :lol:)
and, last but not least 4) sometimes I have dreams about bears and ideas!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I won some green and grey dolls eyes on ebay. So then I think maybe I will needlefelt around the eyes, then that moves something on in my head, and I may see a certain arm shape. It is hard sometimes to just get started. Looking at peoples websites can inspire me.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, good point Amanda.  Definitely looking at websites, and eBay, inspires me.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Ooh good points everyone!  Since I'm such a newbie... I haven't really had a problem of what to do next, my problem is WHAT NOT to do next LOL

My mohair stash is my biggest inspiration.... LOL  I'm holding off getting another storage box (huge) because I know I am going to want to fill it to the brim again hehe.

Danni

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Huge storage boxes filled to the brim! Boy can I relate to that one. I usually go to a fair saying that I'm not going to buy any more mohair and then end up having to buy yet another storage box. I spent almost a thousand pounds at the last fair on mohair and the pile was so huge that I wanted and needed help as where to stash it once I got home. I am going to the next fair at the start of September so I am only taking cash with me and my check book can stay at home. Naughty me...ha,ha!

Jane.

Australia

Oh wow, well, perhaps I should be pleased with myself LOL  I would never be able to spend a thousand POUNDS on mohair, LOL, let alone a thousand dollars LOL

I bet you were the store holder(s) favourite customer that day LOL

Oh it's fun though isn't it!
Danni

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

My inspiration is actually call OBSESSION! I eat sleep and breath bears. All my life I have had a love for them and I hate to admit I dream all night long about them. Garnet says they are all I talk about!!!!! (Sorry Dear!!!!)

I have an obsession truly almost to the point of seeking medical attention!!! Like Shelli says in her article in bears and buds, my first concern if the house was on fire would be to get the mohair out ! (Sorry again Dear!!!)

It is true Know of a good phyciatrist

Hugs Louise

Australia

Oh good Louise, I'm not alone then! LOL

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Louise, it is just fine if all you talk about is bears.  Dont believe anyone who tells you differently!  They are uninformed and obviously in need of counselling.  All of us here will support you all the way!  Send them to us, we can make believers out of them....

I make my gollies in groups of `10-12 and I make them all different sizes...I find that by the time I start embroidering the mouths I have the inspiration for who and what that golly is, personality name etc.  So I guess its the mouth- oh and if one of them comes out cross eyed or something.  That's always fun!

Daphne

Honey did you throw anything away when you were cleaning?  I prefer to think of what you were doing with the supply closet as careful management of your resourses. :D

Cleaning just sounds like work

Dilu

PS  dont go to any psychiatrist or psychologist who doesn't have a ted or gol in the office....I do believe this to be a dangerous sign. 

PPS  When you consider the investment we all have in supplies, mohair etc I can see why this would be a priority in a fire.....I would grab some of my dad's pictures first and throw them in the pile of mohair....

I hang my mohair-in a closet in the sewing room-  I use skirt hangers.  this way I can feel it, look at it, .  It is in sections, golly hair, minibear fabric, reg bear fabric and synthetic-The synthetics way at the back-(my least favorite)

No room in your sewing area to hang your mohair?  Well, Hmmmmm  does your husband REALLY need all that space for his shirts?  :lol:

dilu

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Dilu - Oh, it was CLEANING... and organizing, but definitely cleaning as I took a whole trash bag out to the garage from my sewing room!! I'm sorry to disappoint you. But whenever I clean I always make a good find.... lost socks (that Tucker stole), that recipe I had torn out of a magazine, my favorite pair of sunglasses..... what hasn't turned up are the diamond earings my hubby gave me on valentine's day a few years ago. They've been missing almost 6 months but I haven't given up!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh I AM SORRY ABOUT THE EARRINGS.  Ouch!

Does he know?

My honey wouldn't remember giving them to me so he would never get upset if they went missing....

Lets hope they still turn up.....miracles....

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, oh, Daphne . . . I do hope you find those earrings!  Good luck!!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Hubby knows... yet he trusted me with pearls for my b'day this year! He doesn't learn!!!:lol:

A friend of mine lost her wedding band in her house (which is always tidy) and found it 2 YEARS later!! So I have lots of hope!!!:)

Board footer