Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi, I'm working on a new pattern and I'd like to use wrist joints to give greater poseability.  BUT!! I don't know where to start with that.  Do I have to design the arm in a particular form and where would I cut the pattern to insert the joint?  Would I use cotter pins or nuts and bolts?  I have been reading the post about a double neck joint and not gathering the fabric but instead inserting a disc of mohair... would I do the same for the wrist joint?  My brain is feeling somewhat boggled by all this at the moment ... can anyone unboggle me? :)
THANKS heaps for any help,
Catherine

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

We actually just did our first wrist-jointed bear here, and she is a cutie.  I don't know how anyone else does theirs, but we used a pattern with turned down paws to start with.  The joint went right above where the curve of her turned down paws stopped.  As far as cotterpins vs. bolts, the answer is the same as with double-jointed necks, it doesn't really matter... I'd use cotterpins in smaller spaces and bolts in bigger ones though.  And I would absolutely recommend using the fabric discs instead of gathering, it will give you a smoother finish.  Hope this helps unboggle you :)

Kelly

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Kelly, yep I'm unboggled now thanks bear_original  I'd love to see your bear with the wrist joint when you have a photo.

Catherine

Board footer