Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Tracy we are sisters at heart   :hug:   I was the same way, completely desperate for Santa to bring me a horse every single Christmas, and birthday.  No way could my parents afford a horse, or more to the point, neither of them were horsey in the slightest and couldn't relate to their horse obsessed daughter. 

They soothed the tide as best they could, and I got all sorts of Breyers and one year, I got riding lessons for my birthday  :bday:  :clap:

As you can see in my avatar, though, Santa finally delivered the goods.  She came special delivery in spring of 2006, but she's been SO worth the waiting  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

DebbieD wrote:

Tracy we are sisters at heart   :hug:   I was the same way, completely desperate for Santa to bring me a horse every single Christmas, and birthday.  No way could my parents afford a horse, or more to the point, neither of them were horsey in the slightest and couldn't relate to their horse obsessed daughter.

Add me to the horse sisterhood.  Debbie you described my situation perfectly.  Not only could my parents not afford a horse - we lived in a tiny house with a tiny yard in a tiny town.  No place for such a critter to live.  Finally, after begging for a horse since I was able to talk, my dad said I could have one for my 10th birthday.  Oh, the excitement, the anticipation!  When I woke up on the day I turned 10, I raced to the backyard to see my glorious gift.  Guess you can imagine the disappointment that swept over me when I discovered the truth.  Daddy had promised the horse just to keep me from bugging them about it.  I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt my feelings, but he couldn't understand how a little girl's dreams could be totally shattered.   bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  Unlike you ladies, I never got my horse.  We moved frequently while Paul was in the Air Force, then life just happened not to favor having a large animal.  And now that we live on an acre of land that would support a horse, I'm too old to ride and care for one.  But I surely do still love those gorgeous animals!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

bear_cry  bear_cry  How awful SueAnn!  I fully understand how disappointed you'd be  :hug:  :hug:

Its NEVER too late for horses.  Maybe Santa will suprise you this year with some riding lesson on a nice, gaited horse.   bear_wub   They are perfect for a smooth ride.  No gritting teeth to post the trot.   bear_original   And the foxtrotters and flat shod Tennessee Walkers and Saddlebreds tend to have very big hearts.  They are wonderful for learning on, and can certainly be ridden western. 

See??? Where there's a will, there's a way, especially when it comes to dream horses and ponies  bear_laugh  bear_wub  :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Actually, I learned to ride eons ago, but could certainly take a few brush up lessons.  We have many ranches around us, so all it would take is a little initiative on my part --- maybe a New Year's resolution??

Yippeee!!!  Have at SueAnn  bear_laugh   That's a worthy New Year's resolution!!!   :hug:  bear_wub

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Teddy Bear Hampsters.   I remember getting one for Christmas for my daughter many years ago. We had another plain hampster as well. Apparently hampsters don't play well together cause a few weeks later the Teddy Bear Hampster killed and ate half of the plain hampster...a nice surprise for my daughter to wake up to! A bit after that she was playing with the the TB Hampster and my Siamese cat (who had never before paid attention to the hampsters) grabbed him and that was the end of him!

Marion

wazzabears Wazza Bears Australia
Bulli

WELL, every year I was asked what I want for Xmas, and my response was a teddy bear. I never got one, I was told teddy bears are for baby. Hence why I only have a old panda from my first xmas. I think this is why i am addicted to bears. I was deprived as a child hehehehe. My mum now loves my bears but was confused at first to why I was addicted to making them. I told her why and she said she doesn't remember saying that. BUT SHE DID.
BUT I still want a really special bear for xmas. not a cheapie one from the local supermarket but a designer one.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

I can't think of a Christmas gift that I always wanted but when I was in college and home for the holiday break, I was at the grocery store with my mom and we walked through the isle with the office/school supplies. I discovered that we both shared a love for the smell of crayons. bear_rolleyes  And while the two of us silly girls stood in the isle sniffing crayons, I told my mom that I had always wanted one of those big 64 crayon boxes with the sharpener in the back. The elementary school supply lists always called for the 24 box, but some moms got the big one for their kids anyway.
We left the crayons to finish our shopping, but when I was home again for my birthday, I had one present and I was absolutely delighted when I opened a 64 box of Crayola crayons! I was touched that she remembered our shared crayon-sniffing moment bear_laugh , but she urged me to open the box and really look inside. She explained that my "real present" was the fifty dollar bill she had neatly wrapped around the white crayon. As a college student I really appreciated the money, and spent on who knows what, but I will always remember getting those crayons!

Karon Posts: 751

I always wanted a rocking horse - he was to dapple grey - and LARGE not one of pint-sized one.

I never did get him.  One day, when in my twenties, I said to Mum it was one of the few things I always wanted bu never got.  She then said she knew that but they were just much too much money.

Even now I would LOVE a handcrarved, wooden rocking horse - oh well dream on!!!

Karon

Board footer