Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Laura Lynn,
     Now that is a very useful piece of information - I didn't realize Paypal could only hold monies that had gone through the Ebay checkout system, but it makes perfect sense.  I will post it on the boards for the strike.  I'm sure lots of people don't realize it either.  Thank you for that info!

hugs,

Brenda

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Laura Lynn, I found these on the ebay.ca power sellers discussion board.  It isn't always easy to find answers to policy questions on ebay.   

I think you should be OK with the 21 hold issue, because you have over 100 feedback.  I will try and find the actual ebay wording. 

You may have to cut and paste the links if they don't work directly from this posting.  Karen

Bill Cobb's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200801.shtml … 1-29085842

Jim Ambach's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200801.shtml … 1-29092134

Overview of Changes:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/overview/index.html

Fees Changes:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/basic/index.html

Fees FAQs:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/feefaq/index.html

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Thanks so much Karen!  My husband sells on ebay also and is still under 100 fbs.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi again,  I can't find a link . . . but this was posted by ebay staff on the eBay Power Seller Discussion Board:

The 21 day hold can be applied:

For listings in riskier categories, like computers and cell phones
If the seller has 5% or more dissatisfied customers
If the seller has less than 100 Feedback

PayPal will hold payment funds until either the buyer has left positive Feedback or 21 days have passed without a claim.

Here are similar links (with the .com details instead of the previous ebay.ca details).  I think they are the same however.  . . . just the fees will appear in US or Canadian funds.

Bill Cobb's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801290559182.html

Jim Ambach's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200801290615092.html

Overview of Changes:
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/overview/index.html

Fees Changes:
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/basic/index.html

Fees FAQs:
http://pages.ebay.com/sell/update08/feefaq/index.html

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

So, do they NOT want newer sellers to use PayPal??? Wouldn't you think that would hurt them all the way around... eBay/PayPal that is. I can see that perhaps newer sellers need to prove themselves trustworthy... that's why the feedback system is in place. But there are so many buyers out there who NEVER leave feedback. So then a seller with under 100 feedbacks could never get their money. If I'd bought from one of them and didn't buy on eBay all that often I'd ignore those pesky emails asking for feedback and I'm guessing there are lots of creeps out there who'd think "hey, if I don't leave feedback the money will never come out of my account so I've gotten this for free!" Tell me there is a policy in place that says something like "if buyer doesn't provide feedback with in X number of days their eBay acocunt will be placed on hold" or something similar. Not sure that would really help either. 21 Days is a long time to wait for payment!

I'm not concerned... my score is over 100... but I'm trying to make sense of this. What's the point, right?

Hi Daphne,
     Since the feedback system is voluntary, Ebay won't punish buyers for refusing to leave it.   There isn't anything sellers can do about Paypal holding their money if feedback isn't left.  For those sellers with under 100 feedback, I "think" Paypal will take the money out of the buyers account but "hold it in trust"  :crackup:   for 21 days.  If there are no complaints, then the transaction is considered complete and the money is released to the seller, BUT in the meantime, Paypal will reap the rewards of any interest etc.  They will not pay interest to sellers.  What a scam!
      Laura Lynn's information provides us all with a loophole.  Just ask your customers to not respond to Ebay checkout and wait for a Paypal Invoice.  Apparently, then Paypal has no way to hold the money as it isn't done as an Ebay transaction.  I have over 100 feedback so that part doesn't affect me, but I will still be asking my customers from now on, to wait for Paypal invoices, instead of using Ebay checkout. 

hugs,

Brenda

Hi again,

I just go this off of the stats page for auction sites - it states that Ebay listings are down 1.99% right now.  Yesterday it was down 1.52%  It updates every hour.  As Karen said earlier, it will be very interesting to see how low it dips as the auctions end from the discount list day.

Auction site count (updates every hour)
Due to the high server load on the Auction Site Count page you have been redirected to this static page that updates every hour

Site Number of Listings Change / % As of
eBay view charts 14,441,030 -287726  -1.99% February 20, 2008 11:05 am.

hugs,

Brenda

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

hey will not pay interest to sellers.  What a scam!

Not being in the position to 'Sell & Buy Currencies' on the stock market, I was totally shocked to learn years ago how much money one can earn in a 24 hour period dealing with buying and selling world currencies. I'm sure that Paypal too, invests in currencies.

Which goes back to my feeling that the dip in their overall (net 1.2 Billion) profits due to the many new auction sites, has helped implement their writing into their program being 'allowed' to hold the monies for 21 days. That's a huge profit to them. T
hey have to answer to shareholders, who don't want to hear excuses & reasons like this. They expect profits to go up every year, not stay stagnant or lose money. I hate that...

suburban Chicago

And I desperately need to get $$ into my checking acct for bills, and would like to list, but we're a 'Union' family who doesn't cross picket lines!

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Sorry , let me get this right............

As a seller of handmade crafts I have to register as a business seller, I have 233 100% positive on my personal account but as a NEW business seller with 0% feedback (I took the opportunity to register separately as fenbearyfolk), my money can be withheld by paypal!!!!!!!

Are Ebay trying to make life difficult for businesses???  why!

PS Bobbie, good for you bear_wub

Sue,
     The British Laws are so different than from the US and Canada.  I can't believe you don't get to keep your feedback?  I would go to livehelp to confirm this.  Isn't there a way to turn your other account into a business account?  Probably not.  However, this is not Ebay's doing.  Apparently it is due to British law and is a totally separate thing than the Ebay changes.  It's probably the British government making Ebay.UK finally adhere to already existing laws, from what I understand. 
     If you read Bobby's post earlier today, apparently Paypal cannot withhold funds that are not paid for with Ebay checkout.  If you post on your auctions NOT TO USE EBAY CHECKOUT - WAIT FOR A PAYPAL INVOICE, the funds cannot be withheld as it doesn't go through Ebay.  So the good news is, it seems there is a loophole in their new rules.

hugs,

Sue

Hi Bobby,
     You are a wealth of information and thanks by the way for helping with the boycott, even though it affects your family  :hug:.

I did not realize the money that could be made to trading  in currencies.  It's another way for them to make loads of money, with the money they are holding from sellers.  It really is infuriating.  I'd love to know how Ebay stock is doing.  I tried to find it in our newspaper and online, but couldn't and I have to confess I know absolutely nothing about stocks.

Whether the strike succeeds in forcing Ebay to make concessions or not :pray:, it's been a really good opportunity for me to learn a lot about big business and how they operate and how it affects the small, individual person.  As long as the posts are factual, it's a good opportunity for all of us to learn new things, and perhaps, if more people jump on board as the week goes on, Ebay will learn a thing or two as well.  Thanks so much!

hugs,

Brenda

Latest check on the stats:

Due to the high server load on the Auction Site Count page you have been redirected to this static page that updates every hour

eBay view charts  14,435,737 -301447  -2.09% February 20, 2008 3:05 pm

Hi Sue, sorry for the fast post earlier. I, like many started a personal account on ebay many years ago and although, I could have changed my personal account to business, I decided that I would use "fenbearyfolk" as my business name on ebay, so my choices were to start afresh or change my ebay name. I decided to start a new ebay ID as my hubby sometimes sell off odd car parts and I do buy alot of non beary things, it also makes it easier to keeping separate accounts for the taxman. The new rules that ebay have, will make it harder for anyone starting new. I took into account the fact that my new business name will be seen with no feedback at the start but had not realised that other things would come into play, so to speak.
Normally one checks your paypal account for funds deposited, possibly in the future you will have to send items and trust that a buyer will not leave bad feedback. It seems that as previously said it is all intended to keep buyers happy, there seems to be no balance. This is from both a seller and a buyer.
This is just my opinion and would not want to mislead nor offend bear_grin

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Brenda,

If you would like to see what is happening to the ebay stock try reuters.com .   

http://stocks.us.reuters.com/stocks/ove … bol=EBAY.O

On Feb 20th it went down .42 cents or 1.52% and closed at $27.24 at 4pm EST

Hi Sue,

I really think you should be able to change your personal ID to the business ID and keep your existing feedback.  I would try and pursue that option.   The new UK business rules shouldn't mean you have to start over with ebay (I would hope). 

You certainly can change the name of your user ID on ebay and keep your feedback.  I have done that before.  You just have an icon beside your name for 30 days, that represents a name change.  Karen.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Graph for Wednesday February 20, 2008 ~ shows total active listings on ebay.com

The total number of listings has gone down about 1.5 million since yesterday.   The "mathies" point out that the decline in listings 7 days after an ebay discount day is to be expected (not attributed to the boycott).   The more interesting results will be in the next few days.  Will the line go below the 12,300,000 listings ebay had at the beginning of the month?

graphw2.jpg.jpg

Hi Karen,
     Thanks for the graphs - this is the latest posted percentages as of 5:00 p.m.  It's down 2.5% since 11:00 a.m. this morning.

Due to the high server load on the Auction Site Count page you have been redirected to this static page

Go back to Main Site PowerSellersUnite.com

eBay view charts  14,092,226 -647313  -4.59% February 20, 2008 5:05 pm

hugs,

Brenda

suburban Chicago

I LOVE that you techies like Brenda are showing us in EZ to understand at a glance differences. THX!

Hi Bobbie,
    My hubby would fall over laughing at your description of Karen and I as "techies" :crackup:   Karen (ciderantiques) is my niece, by the way, and we are not getting any work done this week bear_grin   Karen and I have, however, becoming adept at finding locations to give us the information and statistics we want, so we can see for ourselves how things are going.  I've always enjoyed my Ebay experiences, but this blatant arrogance about a lot of the changes, especially holding Paypal money,  is making me really think about not going back to Ebay.  I may leave my account open and use it for advertising - I want to  do a fabulous ME page, with links to my Etsy shop, my website and Bear-Artists-Online and then direct all of my Ebay customers to those locations. 

Karen responded to a post on EBAY.UK about listings going up 25%, which is just false.  She posted the stats to back up her post, and EBAY.UK immediately removed the stats from her post.  The writing remained - they deleted the graphs etc.  It made her post look really weird.  Things like that are really getting to me.  They are also padding their listing numbers by listing tons of "sample auctions" with the new formats with "no bidding please" instructions on them. It increases their totals and make their numbers look better.   I wish I could find the link to these auctions, but I've been in so many groups today, I can't remember where I saw them.  Maybe I will have time to find them later. 

At first, Ebay said they would not delete posts about the strike from the message boards, and even had a lady answering questions.  She said she would be back Monday morning, but "surprise", she is nowhere to be found, and now sellers are being kicked off of the boards and banned from returning.  Anyway, I will get down of my soapbox now  bear_grin, but we will keep posting the results we find, for those who are interested.

hugs,

Brenda

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

http://search.ebay.com/test-auction_W0Q … fmtsZinsif
I only found about 50 test auctions that are clearly eBay's own doing. Not enough to affect their stats.

Not for or against all this... just was curious what they were up to when you mentioned that, Brenda.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I know everyone has been talking about Paypal holding fee's for 21 if your rating is under 100.  But wasn't there something about ebay and the feedback , that it will only be kept for the last twelve months?.  So really if you don't sell or buy at least 100 items in twelve months then you will never get over 100, therefore paypal would be holding your money for 21 days.  I'm not 100% on this but I am getting confused with so many changes to ebay,  and don't forget that ebay owns Paypal so they will be in cahoots with one another.  As a side note ebay also owns Skype , lots of stuff they own that I'm sure we aren't aware of lol.

hugs

Shane

Just quickly checked the site before I went to bed and this is their latest post - down another 8.2 % since I checked at 5:00 p.m. 

Due to the high server load on the Auction Site Count page you have been redirected to this static page

eBay view charts  12,940,303 -1654633  -12.79% February 21, 2008 1:05 am

hugs,

Brenda

I know this may be obvious, but can Paypal legally with-hold funds??
Credit card companies cannot do this to shops unless fraud is suspected

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Shane, (re post #46)

Your feedback score beside your ebay name will display the total number of feedback you have and this will not be effected by the new paypal rules.  The good news is repeat buyers will now count in your overall feedback total.   :clap:   Your loyal customers will count most of the time (1 per week is the limit).  If they buy 3 bears in 3 weeks it counts as 3 feedbacks.  If they buy 3 bears in 1 week, it counts as 1 feedback.  I think this is to stop bad sellers (scammers) from manipulating their own feedback.

The percentile of positive feedback will be based on your last 12 months of feedback and only the last 12 months will be visible.  This will make a negative hit more pronounced (your percentile of positive feedback can drop faster with only 1 year of sales being used). 

eg.  seller has 101 feedback, but only 10 are in the last year.   Your feedback stays at 101 but your percentile is based on 10.  If all 10 are positive you have 100% positive feedback.  If you have 1 negative out of 10, your % of +feedback is reduced considerably.  After a year, that negative will also disappear and your percentile will adjust.

Karen

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well that's good news Karen,  I didn't realize that it was going to work that way.  With all the changes they have been making to ebay and with this and that it's difficult to keep on top of it all.  Thanks for letting me know that, I thought everybody would lose their feedback score.  I  have always said that every feedback should be counted as I never understood that before. 

thanks again and big hugs

Shane

Board footer