Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ciderantiques Ciderantiques and Old Soul Bears
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Hi Jenny, re: post 100. 

Yes, you can block potential buyers.  If you go into "my ebay" ~  Preferences . . . there is a "blocked bidder list".  This is where you can block future bids from certain buyers . . .  based on past personal experience or based on word of mouth (from other sellers).   

You can also cancel a current bid. This option is mostly used by sellers who do not ship internationally, but have a foreign bidder.  Cancelling a bid may become more attractive in the near future, for other reasons.  Sellers will be more likely to observe the feedback left by new buyers.  You just click "feedback left for others" and see what kind of feedback a buyer leaves.  If someone is overly impatient or critical the seller may just cancel the bid.   

With the new feedback rules (only buyers can post a negative)  sellers will be more likely to snoop and see what kind of feedback a new buyer leaves.   If the person leaves a lot of negatives for other sellers, it may be wise to just cancel the bid and add that person to the blocked list (thus preventing a high risk transaction and avoiding a potential negative).  This preventative action is being talked about a lot more on the ebay discussion boards.   

~ Karen

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Also if someone leaves feedback & it's unjust (like they never paid the full amount) you can contact e-bay & they can remove the feedback.  I've had this done before for almost the same thing.  Someone won one of my mini bears & it stated to contact me first if you where outside the US.  Well to make a long store short they didn't, paid the US shipping price for the bear & would not answer my e-mails.  I e-mailed and said shipping would be a lot more if shipped outside the US, a month went by (I didn't ship the bear) and no answer.  So I refunded their money (I did get the PayPal fees back & contacted E-bay about there fees, never got the e-bay fees back) I then relisted the bear & it was ok because it sold for more the next time.  But about 3 months later the original buyer sent me a nasty e-mail wanting to know where the bear was...& left me negative feedback!  So I contacted e-bay, they (I think) contacted the seller, saying something like they didn't read my terms and conditions and that I had refund the payment.  The feedback was removed about a week later and now says something like "Buyer and seller have mutually agreed to remove this feedback" Sounds odd but it's better than a negative I think once the feedbacks left there is somewhere you can dispute it.  Hope this helps

On a side note grrr I hate this e-bay thing.  I know how everyone feels because on the one hand I love buying on E-bay!  I not too long ago got some great deals on Mohair & a few items like my glass eyes and wool always come from the same seller on E-bay.  I might not list items for sale on E-bay in the future but I don't know if I could give up buying on E-bay bear_sad  Buying on E-bay is a little like a drug too lol

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

One thing I forgot to mention, a few sites are allowing sellers to transfer their feedback from Ebay, if they start selling on their site.  It gives you an automatic head start.  I'll have to check whick ones are doing that.  These other sites are ramping up with advertising etc, as they want to be ready and waiting for the stampede of "Ebay refugees", when the final feedback changes take place in May.

hugs,

Brenda

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Brenda I hope you are now on the mend. Make sure you take the full course of antibiotics.
I looked into Etsy a few years ago and found that business is done using a credit card. A bit of a bugger that.
I will check out these other sites I have seen posted.
Wendy

S.Reetz Bears Kenosha Wisconsin

Hi Brenda,one of the sites that transfers ebay feedback is Ioffer,but I don't think there are too many that does the feedback transfer.I see that ebay has changed the way our feedback is displayed,showing only the last 12 months and our total feedback way on the bottom.I know one thing for certain,I will not list on ebay during May or June( and maybe even beyond)because to be honest,I am scared of the new feedback system and I know  it will be a hostile envirement ,which I do not want any be a part of.I will   be listing tommorow,and hope to have some of my frequent customers as well as new collectors  join my mailing list.As part of my new plan I decided to have a wee-kin drawing for my new subscribers,so I'm hoping it does well .I will feel more at ease if I can stay in touch them  when I am away from ebay.I will try to post my new listings tommorow(if I can figure out how ..lol)Also,thank you for the nice compliments Brenda,I appreciate it!Hope you feel better soon.And thank you  for all the  info you posted Daphne,I wrote it all down.Seems bear artists online is filled for spring 2008,so I will be sure to keep checking for new applications. It's such a beautiful site,I just love it!Thanks again.... Sharie.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Like some others have mentioned I have mixed feelings about the ebay issue. I've never had any serious problems myself and love buying on ebay as well. I was amazed at the list of other auction sites posted here - had no idea there were so many but in some ways I think that might be the problem- too many other options that are all so small. If there were ONE other site that came even slightly close to what ebay has become then it might prove to be a viable option but with SO many small sites it is hard to see any of them replacing ebay. The other problem for me is that living out in the country I can still only get dial up so accessing any web site is much slower. I went to check out one auction site mentioned on this post that I had never heard of and after waiting forever for the list to come up decided to proceed to having a look at one particular item to get a better feel for the site. Well after waiting for 10 minutes the item still hadn't come up so I had to give up and move on. I just don't know what the answer is! I've signed up for the artist campaign on bid4bears and I CAN see a large group of artists being able to make that a viable alternative for selling artist bears but so far I just don't see a viable alternative for ebay in general.

pipkins bears pipkins bears
Branston, Staffordshire
Website

Like Jenny I usually list on .com despite being in the UK , mainly for exposure . I have followed the thread but still haven`t decided what to do !
the feedback thing is the worst in my opinion ! I have been trading on ebay since 1998! and had my 100% wiped by a lady who decided she couldn`t afford the bear after all! Of course I was upset ... the transaction is a contract , hence the negative feedback and she informed me I was unreasonable!!!! so now we won`t even have ability for comment !!
I would be interested in other auction sites though ... to give them a try , only ebay has such a following  bear_wacko I suppose the competition isn`t strong enough to make them change. I have signed the petition and hope all of us will its only up to 4820!
heres the link again

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/FVF/

hugs
jane
xxx

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I'm not usually one to make public my personal opinions: my DH & I don't even discuss who we choose to vote for, as both of our sets of folks also did(n't).  But I hope in adding myself as #4827 will make a difference.

Jane, do you know how long this campaign has been accepting Sigs? How long it's taken to gather almost 5000 addies and/or how long the petition will go on?

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

Thanks Jane

Bobbie I'm 4831

It will be a teddy talk roll call I hope
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I signed it too (can't remember what # I am) hope it will help.  I think the new feedback change in May is a really bad idea bear_sad

I signed on a while back.

hugs,

Brenda

I just got this off of our Boycott site - it's interesting.  Give a quick browse and check pages 12,13,14 and 18.  They confirm what we hear  and where Ebay is heading.

Ebay gave a presentation to the investment community in Boston.  This is publicly available but isn't something they actively share with their auction buyers and sellers.

The slides are marked:   eBay Inc. - Proprietary & Confidential

Here is the link: http://tinyurl.com/22cl6s

Now this is a ray of hope!  Check out this Reuters article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/internet … dChannel=0

"If these changes cause sellers to move their business away from our sites or otherwise fail to improve gross merchandise volume or the number of successful listings, our operating results and profitability will be harmed," eBay said.

pipkins bears pipkins bears
Branston, Staffordshire
Website

Hi all I don`t know how long the petition has been running , i found it through the thread and revived it with the thought to up the numbers , i think brenda found it originally through all her research , thank you brenda for keeping us all informed!!!! :love:

that reuters article is an insight ! they obviously realise the do have some competition now!

cherylbruinwerks Bruinwerks
Edmonton

I been a little lax in keep up the info, but just found out on the boycott group today that ALL auctions on Ebay will be changed to hide the bidders ie c***t.  This is a fact, not a rumour and as I said, it affects ALL auctions, not those over $200.00.  I believe it kicks in April 1st, but will check the date tomorrow. 

hugs,

Brenda

The Rabbit Maker The Rabbit Maker
England
Website

Hi Brenda

On the post above, about hiding a biddders ID , is that a good or bad thing ?  I'm not sure if I'm missing something !
Thanks
Shelly.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Thanks for the updates. It keeps changing all the time. As to the bidders ID been hidden I have mixed views. On one hand I like it that people can see that no 'funny business' is going on with my auctions but there must be a small network of collectors who clash against eachother. At least they can bid without upsetting anyone with hidden ID. Either way problem took out of my hands on this one, still not sure how I feel. Pros and cons.

Shelly,
     I finall have time to get on TT - hubby was off yesterday and that means no free time for me  :crackup:   Anyway, most people don't like the hidden bidder, as it leaves things open for shill bidding.  There are a few people that use private auctions all the time, though, as some customers won't bid against friends etc.   However, if they hide ALL bidders, then I guess it's more equal, rather than being open up to $200.00 and hidden after that amount.  I prefer it all to be open, but I have also been sent fake emails, so I do understand their concern.  So, to answer your question, "Is it a good thing or not?", I guess it depends on who you talk to.  Everyone has a different opinion.  What is apparent, is that there will be a lot more changes coming in the future, so get ready. 

hugs,

Brenda

evacuate.jpg

Hmmm......and Ebay thinks all is well!  Even I am amazed at how the membership numbers are growing on the boycott sites.  Check out the link below as well.

http://www.cafepress.com/feebayrefugees

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:crackup:  :crackup:   Now that's pretty darned funny!!!   :crackup:   I love all the merchandising!  bear_tongue

If Ebay doesn't see this as writing on the wall, they're blind.  I think its well beyond the denial stage.  Oooh, and many thanks for the links to the other auction sites  :hug:

Never fear, something will rise as the one stop auction site, just like Ebay.  Afterall, before Ebay it was Yahoo Auctions  bear_thumb

Hi Debbie,
     Some of the merchandising IS funny, but I'm sure Ebay wouldn't think so if members pickett their San Jose offices wearing the T's  :crackup:   I'm glad you like the boycott slogan, as you will be seeing it a lot in the next few months.  Sometimes simple things do the trick.

They are so many other things happening - like thousands of listings from Seller Dot Com showing up on their listings but Ebay says it was a mistake?????  You couldn't bid - they were actually listings from the other site - now we are wondering if they have bought Seller Dot Com ( I think that's the name of the company) and were testing how the auctions would look.  Sears and GM are on board already.  Whatever their goal is, the steamroller just keeps rolling on over the little sellers!  We have also got Gold and Silver Powersellers joining our group that were paying as much as $1000 - $5000/month in FVFees and Paypal fees!  They are just as unhappy and are joining in the boycott, so it is definitley heating up.

Okay, last post today, I promise.  This is really cute.

http://www.ioffer.com/feepay

hugs,

Brenda

Board footer