Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Judi wrote:

When did your dad start knitting?

When he was a kid I believe. His grandmother lived with them on the farm and I think she was the one who taught him. May have been his mom though I don't recall her ever knitting. Dad has knit off and on over the years... only in the past few has he begun doing a lot of it because of the limitations his health has presented. He knit me the most beautiful 'lace-like' sweater a few years ago... such intricate stitches - to me anyway! It's absolutely beautiful!

Dad's talents are indeed many. When I was about 5 dad had a very serious car accident that had him laid for a couple of years. He took up baking and created the most WONDERFUL breads. I can still smell them! The cinnamon swirl bread was my favorite! Over the years he's made curtains .... some were very fancy with valances, etc. He refurbished a gorgeous wooden boat. Built all kinds of things out of wood and could fix anything on the car.

His paid profession however was writing and teaching highly customized computer software programs for large businesses. I remember going to visit him at various jobs when I was young... back when computers took up entire rooms that had to be climate controlled! He was very smart when it came to computer programming and traveled the world over teaching.

Dad has always been great with his hands and in fact HAD to be busy with them all the time. That hasn't changed which is why, now that he is unable to do much physically, he is a one man knitting machine... keeps the mind and the hands out of trouble!! He's commented many times on how therapeutic the knitting has been for him.

I got my creativity from both parents. Mom was an interior designer - studied in Boston, is a great photographer, loves to do floral design and always had beautiful and unique gardens. She also knits though I don't think she'd ever attempt the more complicated designes like a bear. She's done afghans and sweaters and scarves.

Ok, that was a little more info than you asked for but I had to elaborate on just how talented Dad is!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne, What I think is very admirable is that your dad has not let obstacles bring him down.  Most everyone experiences some kind of limitations along life's uncertain path but when someone can overcome them and find ways to live life, like your father seems to have done, then I find that something to truly admire and look up to.

I too think knitting is therapeutic ( I can't cook or bake worth a darn).  There's something rhythmic about it.  I learned to knit when I was around 7 years old because I simple loved knitted animals and they just cannot be bought in stores.  Every year when my Grandmother woudl visit us from England she would bring me the most wonderful knitting patterns.  No one can beat the English when it comes to  knitted animal patterns.
Today, I have an unbelievable collection.  If your dad ever wants any patterns let me know.

Now, I want to share with you a Mickey Mouse that I knitted totally from my own design.  I used my son's Mickey Mouse baseball cap as reference for his face.  And here is my disclaimer:  I have no intentions what so ever to sell this Mickey Mouse.  I made him for my children only.  Disney is very protective of their characters...so...I just had to add this. bear_thumb   :pray:  bear_thumb
Knitted-Mickey.jpg

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

You certainly can brag ... what beautiful workmanship!  Way to go Daphne's Dad! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jack&Lilia Jack & Lilia
Gloucestershire
Website

Well done Frank!  bear_thumb  I love the bags  bear_wub  I'm sure they will all disappear at the Spring Show...but Daphne maybe Frank could make a few more aftrewards to sell on Etsy so we can all have a chance at snapping one up!  bear_rolleyes
Hugs Lynne  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

maybe Frank could make a few more aftrewards to sell on Etsy so we can all have a chance at snapping one up

Lynne....absolutely!

Gijzette Elfin Bears
Mount Dora FL
Website

Frank, I have to agree with everyone else the bags are stunning and I love your choice of color.

Daphne, that is a very talented Dad you have.

Hugs,

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

The bags are wonderful Daphne and how talented he is and how proud you must be of him.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Board footer