Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Throwin' in my two cents here... :)

When I started making bears in late 2003 and then selling them in 2004, I was standing in a much different place than I stand now, about five years later.  Early on, completely inexperienced in every artform and having stumbled onto bear making almost accidentally, I both craved and needed affirmation that my work was appealing; that it wasn't just me that thought, "Hey, these are kinda cute."   I'm not talking about backpats and yes-men here, by the way; I'm talking about honest, useful feedback I could wrap my head around and use; feedback about proportion, pose, and photography; feedback that my bears touched people's hearts, and were sellable.  It all matters, if you want to succeed as a bear business.  And whether that affirmation came from fellow artists, collectors, or contests/magazines, it was all an invaluable and important -- even necessary -- part of helping me develop a comfort level with bearmaking, and with myself.  That feedback helped me form for myself a previously non-existent identity as an artisan, which helped build confidence and credibility, and assisted me in forging a "career path" in the bear collecting world.

I look back and feel incredibly blessed at my good fortune.  I won a Golden Teddy my first time entering -- whee! -- and have garnered several nominations (but no wins) across the GT and Toby awards in the time since.  I received three nods in the URSAs the year I entered.  I've had tutorials published, I co-founded Teddy Talk and helped develop and advise its readership, and my bears have been featured in magazines and webzines.  I've advertised across several magazines; I take my own photos and even designed my own ads.  I was, and still am, absolutely tickled by so many heady successes, and I'm so grateful for them. 

But as lucky as I've been, if I'm being starkly honest, it's also true that I worked really, really, REALLY hard to develop a brand and a recognizable style; to spread goodwill across every aspect of the bear collecting niche; and to create a quality bear that was well represented in the marketplace (on eBay, on a website, on forums, and so on.)  If I'm being really fair to myself -- instead of falsely modest -- I can acknowledge that I EARNED a lot of the notice I received... and I think that's probably true of many of the bearmakers whose names you know and whose work inspires.  In my case, in addition to teaching myself how to sew and design patterns, I taught myself how to take nice pictures of my work and to sell them effectively on eBay, and I designed and maintain my own website and blog.  I taught myself Photoshop and even ran a graphic design side business for a time as a result of what I learned.  And so much more.

I hope that's not too bald for me to say; that in a sense, I created my own luck.  That many successful people -- bear makers or otherwise -- do.  But there's some truth there, whether it's bald to say or not.  And I admit, it feels really good to know that on a very basic, foundational level, there is some kind of math in the universe that can work for ANYONE!, which goes something like:

Working lots and lots of hours, just puttin' in the time
+ going back to the drawing board to try, try again when things go wrong
+ luck and good timing
+ a positive attitude
+ being genuinely supportive of my industry and peers because we're all in this together
+ maintaining grace and humanity
===============================
GOOD OUTCOMES

My natural inclination in life -- I am a self-labelled neurotic to the core --  is to be too modest, too insecure, even with evidence to the contrary that, ya know, I'm kinda cool and okay just as I am.  The bear business I was trying to develop, though, asked different things of me than my neurotic self was inclined to offer; I had to market myself and my work -- to put on my check-me-out "game face" -- to keep my bears top of mind with collectors and editors and fellow artists.  At first I really struggled with it; with actually calling myself an "artist" or "award winning."  But after a while I thought, ya know... I AM those things.  So why can't I be proud of that and claim them?  Why can't everyone?

When people refer to themselves as "award winning" or "artists" I'm reminded of my own journey... but I remember, too, that every person has a uniquely individual definition of "award winning" and "artist."  And I'm reminded that not all awards are equal; at least, in MY eyes they're not.  And I'm reminded, too, that not all art appeals equally; to ME, anyway.  I guess it doesn't bother me to read "award winning artist" -- no matter what the person's actual credentials -- because I've adopted a kind of live-and-let-live philosophy.  I don't have to be swayed either positively or negatively by the labels people give themselves.  All I need do is pay attention and see where those labels lead me.  So long as people label their work honestly and transparently, I can decide for myself whether "award winning" is going to be a help, or a hindrance, to that particular person's marketing schtick.  I certainly don't hold it against someone for self-referencing their award-winning status... even if they won their award at the church basement's ice cream social one Sunday eve.  They might be supremely proud of that award, and may have done something really fantastic to earn it!   And while their ice cream social award might not make me want to purchase their bear any more than I would have otherwise, I can still celebrate their pride and their accomplishment alongside them.  Because those are things to be celebrated.

Aren't they??

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

I've asked this question of Mindy several times in the past, the latest was just this last spring, because one artist in particular had placed the TOBY(R) logo beside a bear in an ad that was not a 2008 nominee: in point of fact, they were using it to advertise themselves as an 'award-winning artist'.

Long answer - shortened: this is incorrect. The logo can be used ONLY in conjunction with the SAME bear that has been nominated/won for ONLY THAT year (the year had been clipped from the logo in the ad, a huge No-No)

So, it's a touchy subject, to be sure, with those who sponsor the competitions, and those whose toes I've just inevitably stepped on....
As long as one says 'Award winning' w/o mentioning a specific competition, I 'think' it might be more accepted; personally I would prefer to be known as a creative designer of soft sculpture collectibles, namely - realistic miniature bears. A mouthful, I know....

Submit the slung arrows this way - - -

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836

Are you serious, I mean really?  Maybe I'm in a mood tonight (even us pollyanna's get those once in a while bear_tongue ) but I can't stand that we police each other like this...really. Bobbi, I know you're intentions are good, but seriously?  I'm not slinging arrows,  just sitting here bear_rolleyes

Forget maybe, I know I'm in a mood tonight...sorry for the out of character moment.  bear_whistle

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I tend to agree with Shelli on this ...I know in my mind how many hours/days go into each bear...and how much effort I put into making the  Three O'clock Bears visible in the bear market place. It's taken  six years to build my business, which is now moderately successful financially but in a sense is hugely successful by way of satisfaction and the realisation of of my dreams and vision. It's been painful at times too...real tears have been cried, more often than I care to think about..and not just because I stabbed my finger with a needle either. So to my mind worthwhile awards don't come easy for anyone.

I have had awards nominations and one or two wins in UK competitions but never won a TOBY or a GOLDEN TEDDY.
Occasionally on my eBay auctions I have put 'GOLDEN TEDDY NOMINATED ARTIST' on the title...because it's true. However it made no difference to the outcome of the auction. I suspect I just wanted people to know about it that day.

I think it is up to collectors to decide on whether the fact that you have an award means anything to them...personally it makes no odds to me as a collector...because I like to make up my own mind, but as an artist I like to test myself and my work and so I carry on trying each year and giving myself a thrill that can end up with me chewing my nails along with every other artist who entered when the results come in only to philosophise about the why's and wherefore's after I don't win or get nominated..and that post-mortem is part of the learning curve and the moving forward.

I think it is definitely worth following the competition trail but at what stage you say you are 'award winning' matters not...because collectors will decide for you.

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Kerrilyn,
2nd & 3rd place are definitely wins!  Just look at the Olympics.  1/100th of a second can put you in 2nd place.  Still a win in my book.  Also, just a nomination is also a win.  Again, look at the Olympics, just being there is a win.  When you start a website, you decide what you deem award winning.  A few years back I had a bear win 2nd place in a show competition.  I put that on my website.  It was the best I did to date and I was proud of it.  There is NOTHING wrong with saying to collectors, "Hey, look what I did and look who took notice."  Being proud of yourself is not conceit.  And, collectors enjoy sharing in your accomplishments.

Contests DO help sales.  And how they do that is through publicity.  I can personally attest to that.  I was nominated for 2 Golden Teddies this year.  My nominees got published in a magazine.  I add to my eBay auctions that I received nominations.  This is a huge deal for me, I'm proud of it and collectors took notice. Now I didn't win a Golden Teddy, but that really doesn't matter.  Being nominated is an honor and gave me great publicity.  I saw a direct impact on my sales because of it.  To me, the nomination was a WIN.  Yes, contests are subjective and based on a handful of judges most of the time.  Again, back to the Olympics.  Judging in gymnastics, VERY SUBJECTIVE.  The athletes know that but do not shy away from the competition.  It only makes them work harder and strive to be their best.  Contests bring attention to your work and allow more collectors to see what you do. Have you ever heard of any of these Olympic athletes before the games began? ? ? 

I'm also with Sue Ann.  Advertising, while very expensive, gets your work out there to the masses.  When I have an ad in a magazine, I see the hits on my website skyrocket!  My hubby will look at my website logs and usually comment, wow you had spike in web hits on this date.  Typically the date when the magazine hit the mailboxes. 

I look forward to seeing your website soon! 

bear_grin Alison

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

My post from last night just put Paula's 4 Aug post under a microscope, narrowing all of her Same comments down into one particular case subject.

Paula's observations about using a general term (award-winning artist) to reference a person's skill level instead of attributing the work level or award to one particular bear that won one particular bear in one particular year are the Same as my observation: my objection was to the ad that I saw - having the TOBY(R) logo placed next to a bear that was not the award winner, because - in signing the AGREEMENT to enter that competition, it is a CONTRACT to abide by their Rules, one of which is clearly stated in my post last night.

Please don't miss the point: every single comp has a Different set of rules. The TOBY(R) I referenced was being used incorrectly and it's the only one I spoke of.

The comps with bears judged in person, as Gemma & Sandra point out, are much stricter yet fairer in how they are evaluated, and much more beneficial to the creator, in using a point system to evaluate the bear's features, pointing out best ones and what could be improved - a great learning tool.

Germany's GG is also in person but uses another set of parameters.
BBAA, TITA, TAIWAN entries are in person and can be handled by the judges, each bringing their own viewpoints of 'Art' to their task of judging.

TOBY, URSA and GT entries are by photo and are perhaps the most misleading, as manipulation can be rampant, sometimes on purpose and sometimes it's just the way it is! 
GT by TBR used to be in person for the finals but costs have mounted and unless the cost of handling and shipping is passed on to entrant (daunting to many on a tight budget!) the comps cannot afford to operate.

To get back on topic; anyone, from the ice cream social first place winner through any of the international first placers, may advertise themselves as an Award Winning Artist if they are comfortable using that phrase.

I'm not pedantic or didactic, but when I do sign my name to something it means that I HAVE read the Fine Print and intend to abide by their rules.
My point was to not use a particular comp's logo as the only example (the one I happened to use was at random; I've seen examples of many others as well) but if one does wish to use one of the winners' logos, then it should be remembered that in signing an entry form, that one enters a Contract binding one to the privileges as well as the restrictions in using that comp's name & logo and it should be honored as each company desires & requires.
Bobbie

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
rkr4cds wrote:

My post from last night just put Paula's 4 Aug post under a microscope, narrowing all of her Same comments down into one particular case subject.

Paula's observations about using a general term (award-winning artist) to reference a person's skill level instead of attributing the work level or award to one particular bear that won one particular bear in one particular year are the Same as my observation: my objection was to the ad that I saw - having the TOBY(R) logo placed next to a bear that was not the award winner, because - in signing the AGREEMENT to enter that competition, it is a CONTRACT to abide by their Rules, one of which is clearly stated in my post last night.

Please don't miss the point: every single comp has a Different set of rules. The TOBY(R) I referenced was being used incorrectly and it's the only one I spoke of.

Probably still in my mood, but wondering why we need to showcase the particular case subject with enough detail to essentially host the Where's Waldo search of the Tsk Tsk No No Teddy Maker.  I mean really.  And if it's an "ad" we're talking about didn't the magazine print it to begin with? I'm guessing it was in the correlating mag, as most don't cross promote each other's logos/events.  Still not getting why we need to do this out here.

Sorry to semi-derail the topic.  I've stated this before when it presented itself in the past. A member was yet again called out for deeming herself an award winning artist when "all she had (according to others) were ribbons" from local shows (the gall). My personal feelings haven't changed: If you won it you should be proud and state it.  Tell the public what and how you did it, be happy for yourself and that accomplishment.

Board footer