Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
rkr4cds wrote:

On a side note:
As to calling oneself an artist, I do this only recently and with great difficulty. Too many ppl use this adjective too freely, as soon as the last seam is closed on their first bear. I've always felt it was the perogative of others to use, but not one's self in describing our own work. It's only in the last year or two that I'm comfortable using it - sparingly -  because new fields that have opened to me have proven that I've found a niche - for now....

We've had the discussion here on using the term ''Artist" and I believe the general feeling was that to the collector that is indeed what we are and it's easiest to call one's self that in eBay listings, on business cards etc. That a bear "maker" was one using other's patterns where an "artist" was one making a bear from their own pattern created from their own vision... not someone else's.

"Artist" is also a marketing strategy... sounds more professional than 'maker' or 'crafter' and one is more likely to expect a higher price tag on 'artist' work than that by other names. A painter is generally called an artist no matter what level of ability he/she has. Or we can just call them painters. But we can't call ourselves "Bearers" cause it sounds silly and we do more than just MAKE the bears if creating original patterns so "Artist" seems to work best.

My point in mentioning bear shows was to encourage artists to get their work in front of collectors In The Fur rather than just on the internet for maximum sales potential. Yes, if participating in a large show there will be just as many bears for sale at a show as there are on eBay but the collector will be able to see your work in person, meet you, etc. and perhaps be more likely to actually BUY at a show than online. And if a promoter does their job properly and advertises and creates a great show then serious collectors will come and those who never knew about artist bears will too. They've made the effort to come to a show, pay an addmission fee, meet the artists and are thus more likely to BUY than if they are sitting at home on a Wednesday night with nothing better to do than surf eBay to pass the time until their favorite show comes on TV.

It's interesting to hear each person's perspective on this and it's just a good thing there are as many avenues as there are for selling artist bears or anything for that matter.... internet for the stay at home shoppers, magazines for those who don't 'do' the internet or like to have their feet up with a cup of coffee in hand and flip thru a magazine, and shows for those who wouldn't spend the kind of money bears go for without touching and feeling it first and who want to meet the artist.

I'm thinking the best way to get yourself in front of collectors and have the most sales potential is to cover all the bases as best you can!

And another note on shows then I'm jumping off my soap box (at least for now as I've got to make dinner bear_original ) You don't have to do a BEAR show!!! Find an upscale craft show ... juried ones are usually best. I do better at these as you are offering something unique from the rest of the crafts, have no competition and at the same time are educating the public on artist bears and creating new collectors which will help the future of your business!!! Current collectors go to bear shows... we need to keep creating new collectors!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

That'd be Bev White, whom I've been with at numerous shows. I thought that she was stand-off-ish before we actually spoke, but found her very interesting and she asked many in-depth questions about needle felting. She approached our conversations as if picking up a thread that we'd left the day before. Lots of us are like that; given the opportunity, we're just Folks!!!

Perhaps I should be buying all of those neglected Steiffs that I see; it may be the only way I'll make $$ in the bear business!

Board footer