Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

fribblesltd fribbles, ltd.
Kalispell, Montana
shantell wrote:
thumperantiques wrote:

I always loved mystery books when I was younger especially Agatha Christie but could never finish without reading the last chapter, so I figured what was the point LOL!

I always race through them and then have this HUGE let down when I done....I want the story to just keep going on and on.  Some books I just get so immersed in the characters it's hard to let them go.

I love Agatha Christie---she was a master.  My idea of heaven is a huge library, where once you get there you find that all of your favorite authors who've died before you have been creating an infinite supply of new stories since they arrived. 

---my mother-in-law pointed out a bit of a flaw in this logic: she said,"What about the authors?  Do you think their idea of heaven is to spend all their time writing for YOU??" 

Rather burst my bubble---but I still think once I get there [God willing], I'll be able to see 'em all, and communicate how much their writing has meant to me...I figure you've got to be able to instantly communicate feelings of love and appreciation: it's heaven!

Sci-fi/fantasy, any David Eddings fans here?  LOVE his and his wife's collaborations!!

<b>"I'm immersed in "Passing the Flame," by Corina Tettinger."</b> ---SHELLI!!  Are you a lampwork artist too?  I'm only to the intermediate part of lampworked beads, am trying to get to being better.  I love love LOVE the torch and beads.  Have been trying to figure out how to incorporate them into minis.

As for wonderful comedy, P.G. Wodehouse is simply the BEST---and the BBC series with Hugh Laurie is frightfully funny also.  One long scream of laughter from beginning to end.

Amelia *aka bookworm*

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario
starlite wrote:

Virtually all I read for pleasure is Science Fantasy or Science Fiction :redface: I just love dragons, witches, warlocks, demons and every type of creature that is fantastical!!
:hug:

We must be kindred spirits. That's pretty much all I read as well. I have 6 large bookshelves filled with fantasy.

Marion

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Shelli, of course non-fiction counts too!  In fact, even magazines or comics count!!  bear_grin

For non-fiction I like to browse gardening books, fabric craft books (of course!) and from time to time, a good autobiography ... I don't like celeb bios though, I prefer gritty true life stuff.  If she leaves it on the table, I've been known to take an educational flick through my daughter's 'Cosmopolitan' magazine too - quite an eye opener!  bear_tongue 

By the way, (back to fiction) has anyone read 'Shadow of the wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon?  I loved that book!  It came out a couple of years ago and was one I really couldn't put down.  I felt sad when I finished it!  Another one I can highly recommend is 'The Time Traveller's wife' by Audrey Niffenegger... it's a timeslip novel, romantic, funny, sad ... alll the right ingredients for a good summer read.

I've read Mark Haddon's 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time' too Kim and thought it was a fascinating interesting insight into autism.

It's odd but I just can't get into Science Fiction or Fantasy ... although years ago I did read 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley (had to read it for A levels) and enjoyed it.  Like everyone, I make an exception for 'Lord of the Rings' which is just stunning!!  (Although, best of all is 'The Hobbit'!)  bear_original

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Oh, I so want to read The Time travellers wife, Paula.  Everyone I know who's read it says it's great.    I read the Haddon book a while ago and really liked it - I was expecting not to, not because of subject matter but becase of the hype.  Sometimes I find that takes the shine off a book.

I'm not really into fantasy or sci fi at all either.  I do read a bit of magical realism - harry potter, the rewritten fairy tales and the like but I've just never gotten into.  I have to admit I've gotten a bit lazy in my reading and have been avoiding challenging things lately.

nettie scotland
Website

I read mostly poetry as I nod off quick while reading.I can only find time when I go to bed .My favourite books are mostly Dickens and Walter Scott.I also love Jane Austin.
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Cold Mountain as I seldom read anything that modern.
I go back and read favourites like, To Kill A mockingbird and Tom Browns schooldays too.
When and if I retire I will love having more time to read.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

BearBottoms wrote:

......  I have written a young adult's fantasy novel called 'The Aldic Stone' my first and only published book......

Oh Kimberly that is SO cool!!!!!!

Kent
Website

I agree with Laura!  Very COOL Kimberly!!

bhbears Bearhaven Bears
Merrickville, Ontario

READ!!!! what the heck is that? AHHHHHH yes I remember now,it's coming back to me like a dream long ago forgotten. It has been so long since I allowed myself to enjoy such a guilty pleasure.  Now all I seem to have time for is tiny snippets in the form of magazine articles, okay I'll confess and a few chapters from my self help books. I know you all thought I was perfect :crackup: what? a bear maker that needs help? never meet one of those. 

So at the moment I'm in intense therapy with PH.D Harville Hendrix and he is helping me with "Receiving Love-Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself be Loved" Yah right like I'm ever going to do that!!!! :redface:

When I get tired of Hendrix telling me I'm wonderful and I deserve love in my life. I move on to my Alternative Medicine mag find out all the stuff I need to worry about so I can go find me a new self help book, it's a vicious cycle.   For fun I'm reading "For Her Own Good" Two Centuries of the "Experts" Advice to Women.
Did you know that Higher education in Women was a threat to the long term health of the Uterus? Who knew :crackup: This book is very interesting a wee bit scarry too, shows just how far things have come for us Women. Well there you have it my secret is out I'm not perfect and I have a strange taste in reading material.
Hugs Deborah

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Funny that out of everything everyone has listed so far, there were only four I haven't read...

I'm currently re-reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. It's got so much information in it that I could probably read it every year and still not remember all of it. His "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" is very funny, too.

Recently read "Under the Tuscan Sun." Completely different from the movie, which, honestly, I liked better (I love romantic comedies).

I read the newspaper about 4 days out of 7 and Newsweek as soon as it appears each Tuesday.

I've been re-reading the Janet Evanovich Plum books in anticipation of the new one coming next month. Teddy bear tie-in--one of the TBAI artists did a Ranger bear for the show this year!

Um... other favorites include Elizabeth Peters, the "Mitford" books, Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott. I liked "The Cat Who..." for a long time but think the last few have been terrible. I was on a Clive Cussler kick for awhile. I'm reading Narnia to Jack. There are really too many to count. I've got thousands of books. I read constantly. Pretty much everything.

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Two of my favorites are "The Secret Life of Bee's" by Sue Monk Kidd and "Jutterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins

Hugs,

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh I love to read! I've also read a lot of the books mentioned here - probably like mystery/suspense the best but read a wide variety of others as well. Several authors not mentioned yet that I really like are Lee Childs, Nelson DeMille, Linda Fairstein, Greg Iles, Elizabeth George, Iris Johansen (although not her earliest books), Mary Higgins Clark (not so much her later books!), Barbara Parker, Stuart Woods.

Also LOVE Maeve Binchy, Diana Gabaldin (Outlander series), and Amy Tan (Joy Luck Club), and Harry Potter (I know it was mentioned but they are SO good I just had to mention it again!). Another author we have just discovered and think is great is Alexander McCall Smith - #1 Ladies Detective Agency series, Sunday Philosphy Club, 2 1/2 Pillars of Wisdom - great stories and so well written. I would highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't tried them.

I mostly read for escape so really like fiction but also do read a fair bit of non fiction - as in self help books (oh no, another TT'er who is less than prefect, Deborah!) and Sylvia Brown which I find fascinating, as well other books on psychic and paranormal. Also enjoy books on true stories, like "Paddling to the Amazon", and "Walking across the Sahara Desert" - sorry I can't remember the authors right now and this is long enough anyway!
Bear hugs, Edie

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

MKinsey/TBF wrote:

..... Teddy bear tie-in--one of the TBAI artists did a Ranger bear for the show this year!

Oh MY gosh!  Did you have a picture???? 

Actually, neither my daughter nor I want those books to be made into movies... cause we each have a picture of "Ranger" in our heads.... and he's .....   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub   We'd hate to have our fantasy shattered LOL!!!!!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I do a book a week-this week it is The Ninth Life of Louis Drax

I have an interesting relationship with the book clubs.  i join-buy all the books I am supposed at the same time as joining  and get the "free" ones etc.  Then I quit the next month. Then when they say "come back we miss you" I re-join and start all over again

Because we don't really have a library here, well we don't have a library here, I value the book club come ons.  I have a huge book case of 6 shelves of all the books I haven't read yet....The read ones go out to the garage in boxes. Maybe I should  start a lending libRARY ?  When one shelf is empty it is time to re join one of the clubs and I move on to the next shelf.  I am indiscriminate-no particular order, just whoever is next in line.

And there are so many wonderful book clubs out there- history, mystery, politics, .....yummy!!

I have been doing this for years....about... wow... 35 years....

I have to confess....i don't like the ripped bodice books Romance very much.....I know many do....but I just can't get my mind wrapped around the whole concept when I would so much rather know if Lucretia Borgia was a victim or a witch!

Anything Dean Koontz, all the women mystery writers, any history about a woman-and especially

Anything the delves in to the darkest recesses of the human psyche

You mean people feel guilty for reading?  I'm confused.....

:crackup:

I go to bed earlier than the hubster so he can have the computer.....I read till he gets there....

totally luxurious guilt free fun- with licorice and chocolate and JellyBellies.  I have one whole drawer dedicated to junk food!  Ha!  Its a good thing i can't eat much at any one time-I think it makes me feel good to know that it is there...

bear_grin  bear_grin

and yes I do share.....

bear_grin  bear_grin

bear_tongue

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I love reading I read anything and everything.
I tend to read in the bath or on the toilet  bear_laugh
I love Terry Pratchet, David eddings I love Clan of the cave bear series, patricia carnwell, colin forbes
I love horror Dean Koonts, Steven King, Robuin Cook and James Herbet.
I love Anne Mcgaffrey and all scifi and fantasy.
I have shelves upon shelves of books that I read and reread.
and as you list things off you like to read I think Hmmmm sounds good will have to try it.   Can't help myself!

Kent
Website

Dilu, that's book clubbing with class!!  I love the concept!!   bear_grin

I just thought of another author whose work I have really enjoyed.  Joseph O'Connor writes a ripping good yarn.  He's the author of 'Star of the sea' which is a fabulous historical novel and very colourful.  He's also responsible for 'The Salesman' and 'Desperadoes' ... both of which were completely different from 'Star of the sea' and both of which had me gripped!

Although I said I wasn't into fantasy or sci-fi, I just remembered that when I read Margaret Atwood's futuristic 'The handmaid's tale' I was enthralled by it ... so I guess my tastes are flexible after all!  bear_grin

Talking of sharing (Dilu's sweeties, yes please! bear_tongue ) what do you all do with your books once the final page has sadly been closed?  Do you horde them for years on dusty shelves or in boxes tucked away in the attic, on the offchance that you might read them again? Or do you share them around?  My daughter and I swap books all the time and last year I had a mega clear out of everything that had been collecting dust on my shelves for the past twenty five years!  Some went to charity shops, some to family and others were itemised and sold for a few pennies on Ebay, just to make sure they continued to be read.  I like the thought of books I've enjoyed being passed on for someone else to read.  bear_original

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

Here's Sue VanNattan's "Ranger" for TBAI:
VanNattanRanger-small.JPG

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I hardly part with any of my books.  The ones  do keep I reread.  Some I donate to the library if I realise they won't be read again.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Sue's bear is Super-Gorgeous, Mindy . . . though I have no earthly idea what a 'Ranger' is bear_ermm

Better google.

Ahh . . . say no more

Ranger is the mystery man. He's a half head taller than me, moves like a cat, kicks ass all day long, only wears black, smells warm and [INVALID], and is one hundred percent pure perfectly toned muscle. He gets his dark complexion and liquid brown eyes from Cuban ancestors. He was Special Forces and that's about all anyone knows about Ranger. Well hell, when you smell that good and look that good who cares about anything else, anyway?

Eileen

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Oh Renae, I have always said...even if we have nothing...we will have books...and that will mean we are wealthy...(The book shelves are suppose to be the walls...aren't they?!?!?!?!) GMTA
Hugs,

Board footer