Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Wow this is horrible stuff.

Paula, make sure you blacklist (block)  the buyer from your auctions, so they cannot bid. Sorry that this happened to you. :hug:  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Crying out loud!!! I can hardly believe this stuff.  And it's true?, My goodness gracious!
I just loathe dishonesty, no matter where it sits. When people are lacking morals in one area you can be damn sure that they are lacking morals in everything. AND THAT will always be their undoing.
'WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND' I've always believed that.
I;'m really sorry ladies that you have had to experience this unsavoury behavoiur.
regards Wendy :hug:

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Lisa, that's appalling!!  I'd have been spitting feathers in fury!!! As you say, these things are a lesson to us and whilst I am always prepared to be surprised by someone's lack of integrity once, I never let them catch me out twice. 

Jenny's right when she says that people lacking in integrity tend to fizzle out very quickly, thank heavens.

On the subject of purchasing artists bears to take apart for pattern stealing purposes, sad to say it's true and yes, it really does happen.  My own sister had a bear purchased by a so-called 'collector' and was later told by a friend to check out some Ebay auctions.  When she did, not only were there quite reasonable replicas of her bears on sale (being regularly auctioned!), they even had their names copied from the bears on my sister's website!  Cheeky eh? 

It's hard to achieve your own style in the bear world and to keep your designs fresh and interesting.  On the one hand, I don't get too heated about the odd bit of copycat work, but I do get annoyed when someone tries to leech on the back of my business reputation, or when someone deliberately sets out to blatantly rip off another artist's work for their own gain.  That's not cricket in my opinion!!

What I never have understood though, is why anyone who has enough skill to take apart a pattern and recreate bears in the style of the original designer, can't be bothered to develop their own style for sale to collectors! I guess it's all about stealing something that someone else has striven hard to build a reputation on.  That's just plain sleazy, don't you think?

bearlysane Melbourne, Australia

Paula,
I understand you feel p####d off, I probably would too ... at first.
But, after giving it some thought, I think I agree with Sabine, all she's doing is raising the value of your work.

And as far as those that rip off our designs ... just look at the fashion world it's been happening there for years ... but all the top designers are there still reaping the benefits.

Those without imagination and design skills are like comets, they quickly breeze across the sky, then burn out and fall by the wayside.

Keep your chin up kiddo. bear_flower
Big beary hugs,
Sandi

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for the thought, but to be honest, I don't see it like that.  I've worked hard for my reputation over twelve years and really don't see that this particular customer's activities are likely to enhance it.   bear_noexpression 

To be honest, I hope collectors have more sense than to pay her inflated price!  bear_original

kerrenmorris K M Bears
UK
Website

Hi Paula,
I saw your beautiful bear on ebay and thought how can she part with such a gorgeous bear!
About 2 years ago I had a collector ask me to re produce a one of a kind bear, I said I cannot do that its one of a kind. The collector begged me so i made her something-similar different size and I did the colouring different. A couple of months back that bear was on ebay. I don't know what was worse though the fact it was on ebay or the fact it didn't make its reserve!
hugs Kerren

Board footer