Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Pages:
Dilu Posts: 8,574

He's a proud handsome gollyboy, Charlotte!

c014.gif

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Thanks for the nice comments about my gollies folks:)

tanyacook1 Bears By Tanya

Hi guys!

I guess by now people know that I am "gollie ga-ga" :crackup:
I'm aways thinking in terms of creating them. (Of course the bears too) bear_original
Not everybody in our society understand golliwogs and their origins, but I find them to be esthetically very pleasing . . .like primitive art.

I'm really into anything Japanese / anime. If you think about it, there is a
big influence of their culture in our video games and so much more.
My wheels are turning about what to design next. bear_thumb

Tanya,
I hope this means you'll, be taking part?  We will love to see what you come up with!

hugs

woohoo  Renae is in!

We are gonna have some fun!

Renae, you never fail to make me giggle!  Now.......what are you going to cook up I wonder?......hurry hurry.....

Gladys do we have a date yet?

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
WildCatDancer wrote:

OK, my researches turn up some common characteristics. Big head, big hair, but usually straight. Girls often wear little girl styles like pig tails...... HUGE eyes with stylized reflection.
Bright colors, with shadings comic books style, not too surprising because this is comic book art. Big head, smaller body, quite often scantily clad for both male and female, often ugly boots.

Renae you pretty much described my little Anime Polly Golly  bear_grin  The name is not original but I was watching Along Came Polly when I made her, so it fit.
She's just over 6 inches, made from a bright purple vintage short pile, sporting straight black hair with pigtails, large green eyes (tried to get that reflection look going a little with different tones of green). She's wearing a cutesy little anime styled dress with "ruffled" socks and red booties with "buckles" that match her dress.

Once I drew out what I wanted on Saturday I just ran with it.  I've got some stuff coming up so if I didn't get her done now she might have just stayed on paper  bear_cry 

This was a blast to do, I really liked putting this little girly together! Glad I had the opportunity to try something new and fun!!   bear_original
I'm putting her out on the Challenge Gallery now.

~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

AAARGH!!!!  OK Chrissie, if we have to wait we have to wait!!!!

hurryhurryhurry

is she done yet?

I had photo issues   bear_grin  I have to get an indoor light system set up...I just made the space, I need the lights now....weekend trip to the HOME DEPOT for me!  She's out there..  :photo:
~Chrissi
ebay, ctcatherwoods
coming summer2006...www.CatherWoods.com

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh my . . . I've NEVER made a golly, but - by golly - I think I'll try this challenge.  After making a hippo for the 'different beast' challenge, think a gollydolly will be terrific fun!

Thanks Renae  :hug: ! 
I'm new to the Golly world, so I just Googled it to find pictures of the traditional style.  And some of the oldest example I saw were very much like the Anime stuff we see now.  Pretty interesting stuff.
Have fun, I did!!
~Chrissi  bear_flower

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I hope you will forgive me...
I have never been a fan of Gollies... But I love you!
But I think this challenge idea is great so go for it girls!  bear_thumb

Have fun!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone,

I have been too busy to be part of much these days - but this is one I really would like to try.  bear_original
This is going to be very injoyable.  :dance:   :doh:  I have no idea what I am getting myself into.  :crackup:
Well, life just is not any fun unless you jump in with both feet so - I am game. Hey, this is one I can take this outside at night and work on when I am keeping an eye on my mare. hmmmm

hugs all kassie

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

all the golly are great

Chrissie!!!  Renae says she's cute-but I don't see her..... b007.gif

OK Renae, in the Library is some info on gollies.
and also some pictures of the traditional golly.

It all started with a British lady (Florence Upton) whose mother told her beautiful stories as a child and the stories centered around her very own toys-she named her black boy doll "Gollywog"-but there is some debate if she meant to or was trying to call him pollywog or whatever. 

After dad died mom wrote out the stories and Florance illustrated them and thus a sub world in the doll universe was started.  Check out the Library....Her original golly and 2 Dutch Dolls, who were in most of Mr. Gollies adventures, are now in the country home of the Prime Minister of England.....pretty golliwonderful for an old raggedy doll....doncha think?

Now the adventures were always innocent and fun and Mr. Golly saved the day.

Through the years there have been piano pieces written about Mr. Golly, which is how we originally met.  And there are thousands of Golly items on the internet for sale....you wouldn'y believe it.

There is an International Golly club and if anyone is interested I'll send you the address.

NOW lets get this on and then off the table right now!

Gollies were never ever intended to be derogatroy to any race.  In England this was well investigated and the author Enid Blyton and her books were cleared. Enid picked up the golly torch after Florance died and wrote a ton of children's books.

Some bad people have used the poor gollywolly as a bad racial idiom-and have taken parts of his name to use to call people of color.  This is why I try not to use the last half of Mr. Golly's name but call him and all his little girl friends by other names, i.e. gollikins, golliwollies and so on.  As dealy as I love gollies I don't want mine to hurt any one.

And I don't believe that anyone who goes to the trouble to create little gollies has any thing bad in their hearts along this line.

OK

Brief trip down memory lane done!

Are we all OK with Mr. Golly and all his sisters....?

gollyhugs

dilu

Hi Dilu!
She's in the Challenge Gallery area, let me know if you still can't see....I can see her, she's been uploaded.
bear_wub
~Chrissi

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Chrissi...I saw her...she is just adorable :dance:
Hugs

Hey Dilu! . . .My sistah in golliwogdom! I AM SO IN!! :dance:

Last night right before I drifted off into dreamland, I felt an urging that
said go ahead and create a gollie for the challenge.

One of the classical music pieces is called The Golliwogs Cakewalk
by composer Claude Debussy . . .it is lovely and was created as a
children's march.

I am such a goofy lady that I consider myself to be a "living gollie".
My creator made me this way. I have been looking for an opportunity
to help create understanding  and education about this wonderful doll.
I love the ones that I have been seeing by the Teddy Talk artists. When I am
able I want to collect from you guys.

Thank heaven for you beautiful women. I wish that the leaders of the
world would lighten up . . .as we do right here! :hug:

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you Dilu for all the information you got for us! I 'll go and check those sites later . It is scary what some people do with innocent things these days! The golly is such a sweet and cute character I want more people to know him ( or her! ) and see them for what they are ; fun, sweet happy and cute. You ask for a dead line? Well ..what about August 31 ? Let me know if everybody aggress or  not..Ok? Well I have to run...I am taking my granddaughters to the pool and ...they are in a hurry!!  bear_grin  I'll check later to see if we do have a date. CONGRATULATIONS Chrissi! You Golly is very cute and different! I love her BIG green eyes!! It is a very good start for our Gallery and thank you soooooooooooooooooooooo much for having it up and going already! bear_thumb
BIB bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Thank you Tanya for joining in our challenge that, in part, I think it is to make people see the goolies for what they really are ...LOVABLE!!!
I am soooooooooooooooooooooo much looking forward seeing all the wonderful Gollies!1
Thanks again for participating .
bear_wub  Gladys
PS.
I will love to have , some day, in here besides  the happy faces and bears some smiling Gollies!!

golly2.jpg

You are all very welcome!

I became first beacame aware of Mr. Golly because of the very same piece, the Golliwog's Cakewalk. A piece I learned when i was 8 years old, and still play today.  I hope slightly better.  i will add a photo of the music to this post....you'll see why I kept asking, "who is Golliwog?"  "why does Golliwog get to have his own cakewalk?" No one could give me answers.....fat lot a good they were doing me.....

A friend was giving a bear making class.....she gave us a pattern and said show up with your fabric and we'll get started.....so I showed up with the bear done.  She gave me some magazines, and in side a bears and Friends was a golliwolly!  I knew it right off, simply from the poor drawing on the front of my music.....

From then on  Bears were cute and I've made close to a hundred (Don't you all gasp, most of those were mini's 3" or less!) but my heart and soul have been focused on gollies!

I CAN'T HELP IT- I love them to pieces, mine and everyone else's...A darling wonderful friend in New Zealand has sent me gollies she made, and our Own Darling JazzyFran sent me one, my hubby bought a few, one from Stieff and one from Hermann.

But i have to tell you my friends, I love the hand made, artist made, friend made gollies the very best.  Because those have the personality, the impishness, the child like delightfulness of everything that in my world embodies gollies.  Just like the wonderful gollies Charlotte and Gladys and Chrissi have shared with us.

I am on pins and needles waiting to see what you gus come up with because I know I will fall in love with each and every one!

Darling Tanya, I so agree with you....I think the Teddies should run the UN, because they truly are more responsible, but Gollies should be in charge or protocol (there wouldn't be very much, just treat everyone fairly and kindly and add some humor to life wherever you can)

I am so glad you found your way to us!  Woohoo....its been kinda lonely for us gollie lovers here, because there weren't very many of us.  Those of you who haven't gone to Jane's site, Doodlebears, please do, here's are priceless!  and also check out Penny's site, if she has her's still up, and her site is gotobed bears-she hasn't been with us for a while, but she will be back I am sure.

This Picture is from one of the books-mr. Golly and his two Dutch Doll friends

Hi Gladys bear_grin

Thanks for your warm invitation to all of us. This is a great idea.
I'm sure that each of our gollies will have it's own unique heart & soul.

I want to design my pattern right away, because soon I'll need to start my
Halloween and Christmas bears and dolls.

I need to know what size gollie (mini, small, medium or large) and what
limitaions you have on materials that we can use. 

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Dilu, you sure make me smile . . . and laugh!
That is a gift.  :hug:

goll3.jpg

This is a piccy from the Prime Minister of England's country home, and these are the original Mr. Golly and his two dutch doll friends.

DSC02026-2.JPG

Here is the front of my music.....this was the Mr. Golly that I was first introduced to.....yep I still have my old music too.....kind of funny to see the markings I put in when i couldn't remember a note or something

DSC02020-2.JPGDSC02019-2.JPGDSC02021-2.JPG

If you all want more piccys i can oblige....let me know!

hugs and kisses!

OKOKOK  another piccy:  this is from my friend Helen, whom  love to pieces....she loves gollies just like we do....she made these for me.....they are posing on Kathleen by Nancy T and my little Cozy by Judikins.....Cozy and Kathleen just sort of fit together, I think little cozy needed extra love from Kathleen....and then when the first set of gollies came I gave them to Cozy because I knew he would be careful, and then when the Grandparents came , well Kathleen seemed to be the logical place to pose them for the pictures.  Why am I telling you this?  Well Judi and Nancy are bestest friends, and Helen has been a friend of  Nancy and Judi and  I just believe that bears gravitate to where they are supposed to be, and this group well they were just 'made' to be friends!

Pages:

Board footer