Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Awww Renae.  I did that once too.  Total freeze.....couldn't do anything.....my hands on the keyboard but nothing happening.  I think it happens to all of us at least once-I was almost 10 and I couldn't explain it to my furious mom, bemused dad, or my livid teacher.....I just froze.

Ever since then I overlearn--when I can play it with my eyes closed

THEN

I feel like I know it....

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hello Everyone this is going to be short and ( I hope !!) sweet! Like I told you guys I took the girls to the pool and oh boy !! EVERYTHING HURST!!! bear_cry  My poor old muscles are telling me :- ARE YOU CRAZY??:-
Dilu thanks for the piccys. They are great! bear_thumb  I love  all of them! The one with the white beard make me remember  one I made. Actually was  a bear and a Golly ( like 5 years or more ago!) and the bear and the Golly looked "old"( like old people not antiques). The bear had a bold spot, a beard and was a little bit on the chubby side, wore a vest and a had to use a cane to "walk" and the Golly looked like the same "age" I made his hair with  grey ( no beard ) and both wore eyeglasses. I named the pair "old Friends" I donate them to the Good Bears of the Wold. I have a picture but, it is very bad! I was worse at taking pictures than now ( can you belive it?? bear_wacko )  and on a flappy disk!
Ok I have to go even my fingers hurts!! Oh before I go,
I think that it will be better if we don't have a particular size or fabric in our challenge. Don't you guys think? Everything goes should be the them too!. What about the dead line? August 31 is fine with everybody or we should wait to get more on board?
If you don't agree with me, about not having a size or fabric, let me know.
BIG bear hugs. bear_wub
Gladys

DSC00787-2-ebay.jpg

Some more gollies,

this little guy is 3" tall with cotton clothing and fully jointed....so you guys CAN make fun little tiny gollies.....but the advice i would offer is choose fabric for your golly that wont fray to terribly.

chrissibrinkley Posts: 1,836
Dilu wrote:

so you guys CAN make fun little tiny gollies.....but the advice i would offer is choose fabric for your golly that wont fray to terribly.

For smaller items....there's a seller on ebay who has some really nice vintage rayon velvet (upholstery fabric) in lots of colors, and it's pretty cheap for one 9x9 piece. It's a short -medium pile. If you search "vintage rayon velvet" it should come up.  It doesn't fray at all and has that white grid backing for easy stitching.  (I have no affiliation with her aside from buying in the past!  bear_original )

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Sounds like a fun challenge - I've often thought of making a golly and just never got around to it. Since I love the anime style combining the two should be great. Okay, I'm off to start working on a pattern!
Bear hugs, Edie

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Welcome on board Edie bear_flower
Gollies can be made out of many deferent fabrics. I have made one even usning Lycra ! I liked the shine in it and, even being very small ( 1 1/2" ). It is better that is not a strecchy fabric, with that one I had to be very careful stuffing him. I don't have a picture but, I can ask the friend that has him to let me take one. My Gollies are 5some jointed ( cotter pins ) and others string jointed. but, they could even be a one piece body ( like Raghedy Ann ). I like to soft sculp fingers and toes ( most of my Gollies have no shoes ) I had sculpt the noses but, I like making them separate, like a little ball. For the lips I mostly use felt but I had use other fabrics too. For hair it can be Mohair, or yarn. I used in the first Anime style I made braided synthetic hair  and in the second one, ( the one with the red dress ) yarn.
Dilu I love your little boy Golly!
Well...I need to know if the August 31 dead line is fine you guys?
Have a great day.
Bear hugs.
Gladys

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Guys..I have a silly ( that is ME! ) question. How do you open a gallery challenge? To put the pictures on is what I am talking about. I am soooooooooooooo happy that the one for the Anime Gollies is already up!! I was thinking Uh ho! How I'll do that  and ...I can see it is up!! HURRAY! I will like to know how....jut in case I think of "another" challenge.
Can somebody tell me how is done.. PLEASE :clap: !!
Thanks.
Love and bear hugs.
Gladys. bear_flower

I believe Quy did it already!

But To worry- go to the Challenge Gallery and take a look....your little one is there as well as Chrissi's....

OK I have my first body done and jointed....the body is 2.5" and the head is 2"  wow, this little guy is going to be top heavy for sure.....

just a wee update.. :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

my other body is going to be about 7"....haven't stuffed the head yet so I don't know.....

hows everyone else doing?

Chrissie and Gladys were sharing about other types of fabrics, I think that is wonderful-I would think anything black and sturdy enough to manipulate would work.....

.....hmmmm I have some black silk dupioni..... c024.gif

OHHHHH  that sounds wonderful Renae!  I love the concept.  I have a quilt i made with dark eggplant purple and the print was grapes....grapes massive grapes everywhere.....i called the The Wrath of Grapes....of course it was cotton, but i still have some of the dark eggplant purple cotton left...I think....I will look if you are interested.....

Hi Renae,
The brighter purple I used is one of the shades offered by the ebay seller I mentioned before. I think she has others (??) It's incredibly sturdy, that's why mini makers love the stuff so much..the grid backing doesn't allow for fraying.  I think i've gotten some shades from Sassy Bear as well....good stuff. If you find a cream or white you could dye it up yourself  bear_original
~Chrissi

Renae; its on its way and you might actually get it next week-since we both live in the same state....granted we both also live in the boonies.....

Oregon is a Schizophrenic state in so many ways.

Chrissi; did you have a link to that seller?  I would like to check it out....thank you, by the way,  tips on golly fabric are always interesting and helpful!

Hi Dilu,
This link should work. This is listed as long pile, and its a really nice pile, but I have seen "longer" out there.  It's not "furry", so for my golly it was really a nice texture. The prices are pretty good if you just want to try a single piece too.  For $1.50 you could buy a piece of blue and dye it for smaller gollies. http://tinyurl.com/qdo2o

I've gotten really lovely stuff from Sassy Bear (one of the banner ads here) too.  Very good selection and the prices are not bad at all for the quality and styles offered.  I think she has some purple vintage rayon on her site too...looks like a deep eggplant-ish color if Renae wants to take a peak  bear_original

~Chrissi

DSC02035-2.JPGDSC02027.JPGThanks Chrissi

I love SassyFabric, Steph does a beautiful job on the short pile stuff for little bears.....especially her "spring line" 

I will take a look at your link.

Below is my first try at the anime.....the head is 2"  and the body 2.5"

I don't like the feet so I need to redo that part of the pattern, and also need a little more room for neck disc.....boy was that a tough sew up job!

On to the bigger one.....

Chrissi, thanks for the link...nice stuff-I put her in favorites

Renae, you said

I missed out on a lot of racial slurs growing up, thank goodness.

That's interesting.  I'm lily white.....no that sounds too nice, I'm Pillsbury DoughBoy white.   But I have three half sisters that are 'black' even though they are half white.  My step father didn't want any of my mom's old kids around, so my brother and baby sister and I was put up for adoption.  Unfortunetly not to all the same family.

sigh

When I contacted my step-father many years later one of the sisters listened in on the extension, and she got my number through some gizmo they had on their phone.  So she called her sister and Elsie called me, I was able to begin a relatinship with one of my half sisters.  It was a connection, and it helped me learn more about my birth mother.  And I was very happy to have it.

I always knew that was why I was 'given away' and always figured that it meant black folks were more special.  How's that for non-bigited early training.  And because of all the wonderful people I have met in my life and travels I am grateful to God for that training-it was convoluted but had I not had it I would have missed out on so many blessed and special and wonderful relationships.

I guess I believe racism isn't inherent, it's learned, and therefore can be unlearned.

just a little odd way of God and the Universe teaching me lessons.

[size=20]NOW[/size] a170.gif

Hows everyone coming.....post piccys of your interim progress.....OK?

i070.gif

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

In this area I have a story for you about how some see things. When my cousin, who is near  my age was very little...his family lived in Ithaca, NY & his family moved to a new neighborhood, where there was a real mixture of races...not an all white neighborhood, like where they had lived...I think my cousin was about 3 or 4 at that time. My Aunt...his mom was a little concerned about her sons reaction to anyone different, since he was a rather vocal, observant child...and one day...my cousin came running into the kitchen & said to his mom...come quick...come quick....there is a green girl outside...my aunt is thinking...ohhh nooo...he thinks they are green...and my aunt went to see what he was talking about & sure enough...walking by their house was a beautiful little girl walking by all dressed in green & she was black...but my cousin didn't notice that...and my aunt sent him outside to meet the "green" girl:)
Just had to share that story...the posts here lately made me remember!!!! Thanks for being the beautiful people you are!!!

PS I will get pictures of my Golly Anime needle felty progress & post it tomorrow...I found some fantastic vintage fabric to use for her dress...ohhhh fun!!!

Hugs,

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Girls
I am so glad that I had the idea of an Anime Golly challenge!! I can't belive all the good that has come out of it!! Thank you for all the stories ladies! I was born in Cuba, my father was Cuban and my mother from Spain. I always thought of myself as white growing up ( I came here when I was 24 years old ) but, in here, I am not, I am Latin. I think is silly to put a name on people. To me we are bad or good and that is what really counts.
I did work a little on my Challenge Golly, I better say Gollies because I am making 5 and I don't know the one I will want to use. I did, most of them, with a wire armature ( I am thinking maybe I will want him ( or her?? )  to be holding something??  I am working on them and on a couple of bears ( friend's "B" days coming!! ) and I will make the Gollies and then decide ( or they will! You know how that is Dilu ) what I want them to be ( boy or girl ) and how I will dress them FUN!!
Ok I better go my husband is sooooooooooooooooooo good with me! Very patience always and it will be very bad on my part if I do not go and cook something for dinner!! Is getting to that time!!
Thank you again for your stories . bear_thumb
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Dilu...I forgot! ( Another Senior moment!!  Yikes!! They are coming fast!! )I love how your Golly is coming along!! You were talking about the neck joint WOW! That part I do not like to do! My heads are bigger and it is hard to get the joint and to have a supporting neck!! I had my husband cut a wooden dole and I put one in the neck area and it makes it stronger. I have a question for everyone. Can we enter more than one in the gallery? I will like to make one with better proportions ( like Dilu's!! ) but, I don't think we talk about that and another thing...What about the dead line? Is everybody happy with the last day of August?
Bear hugs.
Gladys

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

Hi Renae:
I have the same opinion, the more the best!! Do we have any limits in the Galleries? That is something we have to make sure, that way, everybody that wants to participate will have room for their Golly. When I talked to Dilu about having this challenge, I never thought it was going to be so interesting, in sooooo many ways!!
Ok have to go if I don't want to burn my dinner!! bear_ermm
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Honey as far as I'm concerned you can add as many pictures as you want!  We talk allot here and share tons of pictures but somehow it all seems to work!

Besides, you're the boss of the Challenge!

I'm with Renae-the more piccys the better.

When I was in boarding school we had girls from all over the world.  It was a small school, I was the only American, but we had girls from England, Ireland,  Brazil, 2 from Iran, (This was during the Shah's days in the 1960's) and so on.  There were about 35 of us.  One girl was from South Africa. 

We were getting ready to go to the Opera, (of all things!- but it was supposed to be a finishing school....where we learned how to be proper ladies....hmmmm do they still do that?) 

And Angela, the gal from South Africa came to my room.  She needed help with her eye liner.  I took her liner and looked into her excited face and thought "how on earth can I do this-she's black and so is the eye liner."But I loved her, she was my friend and I couldn't do anything to hurt her feelings, and I figured she probably wouldn't see it if a wasn't exactly perfect with the line, for I was inexperienced with eye liner myself.  I put it on as best I could and she was thrilled and everyone was happy.

She was my first introduction to any other race....all the other girls were my first experience to new cultures, and it was an experience I treasure.  Not because I was taught how to act like a proper diplomate's wife-la de da, since that was not what I had in mind for my life, but because it took me out of the San Fernando Valley in California and showed me that home is not the center of the universe-and that the world is vastly different.

Different is not bad, different is fun and exciting and new and to be embraced.  I cherish all the different places I got to live. Some of the experiences are funny, but all of them taught me that while people do things differently than I would have, they are just like me, same feelings, hopes, loves.

Not too many girls from Burbank, California got to have those kind of experiences back in the 1960's  I think it helped broaden my mind and teach me that we are all the same color in God's eyes, that glorious color, human.

Adkins, Texas

Here is the beginning of my anime golly & the fabric I plan to use for her dress :dance: golliestart002.JPG The head is about 1 1/2 inches & the body is 3 1/4 inches long.
Hugs

Kool Charlotte, I can see her coming together!  Such fun!

DSC02038-2.JPGDSC02040-2.JPGDSC02041-2.JPG

OK here are some piccys of the bigger one.....her head is 2.5" and her body is 6"

I think I should make her head 3" so that it is a 2:1 body head ration.

I did thin down her arms and legs, in true Manga tradition and instead of making her booblettes big like they do in the comics I made her tummy big.  I think she looks a little like a starving baby.  Maybe I'll give her a tummy button.

So i think I will re vamp my pattern and make her sister and see how it all comes out.

Adkins, Texas

Thanks so much Dilu...it's sooooo much fun!!!! lol guess I have Golly Fever now too!!!

Hugs,

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

I am the boos Humm!!  bear_grin  Yes! As many pictures as we want. The "boos" has spoken!! bear_cool  ( the ones that can handle the "picture" thing!!) I am better bear_ermm  I am getting there.
I love how she is coming alone Dilu!! ( you take very good pictures bear_thumb  ) Charlotte I love the fabric you have for her dress ! I just can NOT wait!!
Have a wonderful friday ( Saturday? )
Bear hugs.
Gladys bear_flower

Bearalive Bearalive
S.California
Website

YIKES!!  BOSS!!  bear_shocked  Sorry for the misspell! bear_rolleyes
The "boss" should learn how to spell or used the spell check!! bear_wacko

Board footer